Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Water wetter vs weld for 997.2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad someone posted this. Spot on Renn. If a firehose of any liquid is aimed at your rear tires, you are going to have a bad day. Waterwetter is of little benefit for the driver of the car that breaks. Cars following, maybe some risk reduction depending upon location on track of the pukeage.

Originally Posted by Renn 951
That may be a false confidence. In the June 2011 Excellence they did a follow-up on whether Water Wetter provides an acceptable alternative. They cite a technical paper published by Red Line (makers of Water Wetter) which concluded that a surface covered with plain water or a 3 percent Water Wetter solution will reduce friction relative to dry pavement by 50 percent. With a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water the friction is reduced by another 5-15 percent.

So yes, Water Wetter is not as slippery as anitfreeze, but it's a marginal improvement and if coolant is dumped where tires are being worked near their limit the car is still going off.

From the track management's standpoint, I have heard that they prefer Water Wetter because they can clean it up faster than an antifreeze dump.

Originally Posted by Renn 951
Water Wetter by itself does not seem to be an answer to the problem. People shouldn't get a false sense of security that they and others are "safe" just because they are running straight water or a Water Wetter solution.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:02 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^sorry but don't think so. People like me track in rain/shine and I rather have rain tires in rain if it arises but don't tell me my rain tires and car will survive a coolant spill strung along t10 at Infineon. Mike
Old 02-15-2012, 10:55 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

So bottom line in reading this thread is- there is NO solution. There is no sanctioned fix on the fittings from Porsche. To drill, weld, etc the fittings, you have to do so on your own at your expense and at the risk of voiding your warranty. And it seems there is uncertainty that these approaches are even the right answer. Water with water wetter only makes things a little less slick. This is nuts.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
So bottom line in reading this thread is- there is NO solution. There is no sanctioned fix on the fittings from Porsche. To drill, weld, etc the fittings, you have to do so on your own at your expense and at the risk of voiding your warranty. And it seems there is uncertainty that these approaches are even the right answer. Water with water wetter only makes things a little less slick. This is nuts.
Correct. I've decided to run Water-Wetter. I'd worry that: 1) running regular coolant on the track, 2) the Ohio PCAs requirements, and 3) my posts on this topic of Rennlist - would all make me a liability target by lawyers if something ever happened...

At least running Water-Wetter shows that I am not negligent, and responded to the issue.

My $0.02,
-Blake
Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Correct. I've decided to run Water-Wetter. I'd worry that: 1) running regular coolant on the track, 2) the Ohio PCAs requirements, and 3) my posts on this topic of Rennlist - would all make me a liability target by lawyers if something ever happened...

At least running Water-Wetter shows that I am not negligent, and responded to the issue.

My $0.02,
-Blake
I'm pretty sure Porsche's pockets are deeper than mine. The issue has been discussed in numerous threads. You mean to tell me I'm potentially liable for not making a modification to my car be it replacing the coolant or modifying the lines when neither is sanctioned by Porsche? I don't think so. If anything, these discussions and PCA's requirement make Porsche the more liable party.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:47 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

What happened to blakes's post after Scott's? Moderator- infringement on copyrights? Mike

Quick Reply: Water wetter vs weld for 997.2 RS