Water wetter vs weld for 997.2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Water wetter vs weld for 997.2 RS

Guys,
I've read about and am familiar with this issue. I got the letter below from my region. In regards to a .2 RS still under warranty...is using water wetter or doing a weld going to affect my warranty? Has Porsche addressed this at all yet?

Scott

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE FOR ALL 996/997 GT2, GT3 AND TURBO DRIVERS
DUE TO THESE CARS’ PROPENSITY FOR DEVELOPING CATASTROPHIC COOLANT SYSTEM FAILURES WHEN TRACKED, THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENT MUST BE MET IN ORDER TO PASS TECHNICAL INSPECTION:
THE OEM COOLANT IS REPLACED WITH A NON-GLYCOL BASED COOLANT SUCH AS DISTILLED WATER WITH RED LINE’S WATER WETTER. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THIS WORK BE PERFORMED BY A SHOP WITH THE PROPER EQUIPMENT TO MAKE SURE ALL AIR IS OUT OF THE SYSTEM TO ASSURE PROPER FUNCTIONING OF THE NEW COOLANT.
HOWEVER, IF THE SUSPECT COOLANT LINE LOCATED BEHIND THE POWER STERING PUMP HAS BEEN WELDED INTO THE HOUSING TO PREVENT IT FROM COMING OUT, THIS REQUIREMENT WILL BE WAIVED.
WE REQUIRE THAT YOU BRING A COPY OF THE WORK ORDER, FROM THE SHOP, INDICATING THIS WORK HAS BEEN COMPLETED.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT US.
JERRY WOLF – OVR CHIEF INSTRUCTOR
Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Guys,
I've read about and am familiar with this issue. I got the letter below from my region. In regards to a .2 RS still under warranty...is using water wetter or doing a weld going to affect my warranty? Has Porsche addressed this at all yet?

Scott

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE FOR ALL 996/997 GT2, GT3 AND TURBO DRIVERS
DUE TO THESE CARS’ PROPENSITY FOR DEVELOPING CATASTROPHIC COOLANT SYSTEM FAILURES WHEN TRACKED, THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENT MUST BE MET IN ORDER TO PASS TECHNICAL INSPECTION:
THE OEM COOLANT IS REPLACED WITH A NON-GLYCOL BASED COOLANT SUCH AS DISTILLED WATER WITH RED LINE’S WATER WETTER. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THIS WORK BE PERFORMED BY A SHOP WITH THE PROPER EQUIPMENT TO MAKE SURE ALL AIR IS OUT OF THE SYSTEM TO ASSURE PROPER FUNCTIONING OF THE NEW COOLANT.
HOWEVER, IF THE SUSPECT COOLANT LINE LOCATED BEHIND THE POWER STERING PUMP HAS BEEN WELDED INTO THE HOUSING TO PREVENT IT FROM COMING OUT, THIS REQUIREMENT WILL BE WAIVED.
WE REQUIRE THAT YOU BRING A COPY OF THE WORK ORDER, FROM THE SHOP, INDICATING THIS WORK HAS BEEN COMPLETED.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT US.
JERRY WOLF – OVR CHIEF INSTRUCTOR
Is this from a PCA region regarding Tech at a DE? If so, which PCA region?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Yes- Ohio Valley Region
Old 02-10-2012, 08:52 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

The reason for this poorly constructed mandate is the accident that occurred last year from a 996 GT3 that belongs to an OVR member/official puking coolant at turn 10 a-b, which caused a 4 vehicle accident....this is not unique to GT or turbo cars....Water wetter is ok but may " according to Porsche" cause an increase in the internal temp of the engine which in turn could weaken the Loctitie links....I guess I will not attend OVR event.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

100% irrational

And what is with the scare tactic "SAFETY RECALL"??? That first line insinuated a PCNA recall. Can't imagine they are going to be impressed once they see it.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Are they going to pass those who have the pinned fix instead of welded fix?

After the carnage they saw last year I understand this measure. All of us here know this is an issue. The biggest problem is that Porsche has not and apparently will not address it and is still claiming they will void warranties if the fittigs are messed with.

As a DIY person who farms out very little of my mechanical work I don't particularly care for the verbage indicating you need a work order from a shop showing they flushed the system and filled with water.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malmasri
The reason for this poorly constructed mandate is the accident that occurred last year from a 996 GT3 that belongs to an OVR member/official puking coolant at turn 10 a-b, which caused a 4 vehicle accident....this is not unique to GT or turbo cars....Water wetter is ok but may " according to Porsche" cause an increase in the internal temp of the engine which in turn could weaken the Loctitie links....I guess I will not attend OVR event.
Yes I was there. Don't know what to do as I don't think welding will keep my warranty valid. And it seems that water wetter may increase the propensity for failure, albeit then with water instead of coolant...
Old 02-10-2012, 09:39 AM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Does anyone know for sure that welding the fittings voids the warranty?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes I was there. Don't know what to do as I don't think welding will keep my warranty valid. And it seems that water wetter may increase the propensity for failure, albeit then with water instead of coolant...
Scott: You may want to consider going to NOR the following weekend instead
Old 02-10-2012, 11:01 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malmasri
Scott: You may want to consider going to NOR the following weekend instead
Actually considering just getting rid of the car!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

My chief instructor just told me that PCA National is aware of the issue and all regions may be issuing such a requirement...

My local dealer feels that water and water wetter won't significantly increase operating temps.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:21 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My chief instructor just told me that PCA National is aware of the issue and all regions may be issuing such a requirement...

My local dealer feels that water and water wetter won't significantly increase operating temps.
Actually, it claims to reduce temps. Allan
Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

Water wetter, maybe will have them cross bolt them.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:35 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If this is true, no doubt it will put pressure on Porsche. The lack of response from PCNA is completely unacceptable. Hopefully this will force the issue...

I will be running Wetter this track season.

-Blake
Old 02-11-2012, 10:05 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
If this is true, no doubt it will put pressure on Porsche. The lack of response from PCNA is completely unacceptable. Hopefully this will force the issue...

I will be running Wetter this track season.

-Blake
Agreed, that and the article in Excellence. Denial can only go so far.

Quick Reply: Water wetter vs weld for 997.2 RS