Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Water wetter vs weld for 997.2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 AM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While sort of a pain, I think it's nice to see PCA step up and address this issue, rather than playing politics with PCNA.

Also IMO water wetter is always a good idea. I would feel safer if all cars were required to run it.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

^^^^^ PCA is not addressing the issue, they are playing a game called "Cover Your A$$". They are trying to limit their exposure to liability in the event of an incedent at an event they are hosting. Their chioce of wording and recommended solutions is interesting in the OP's copied text.

They are not doing any lobbying for members to get a known issue resolved through this, they are just looking out for #1.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Agreed, that and the article in Excellence. Denial can only go so far.
Francois
Please tell me which month of excellence had the article.
thanks
D
Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DRPM
Francois
Please tell me which month of excellence had the article.
thanks
D
Comprehensive article is in the February 2011 issue, and they then answer readers' related questions in a few of the subsequent issues, including the November 2011 issue.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacific Western Performance
^^^^^ PCA is not addressing the issue, they are playing a game called "Cover Your A$$". They are trying to limit their exposure to liability in the event of an incedent at an event they are hosting. Their chioce of wording and recommended solutions is interesting in the OP's copied text.

They are not doing any lobbying for members to get a known issue resolved through this, they are just looking out for #1.
Jeff, I understand what you are saying, and generally agree.

However, just as the referenced Excellence article has done, this will help to make aware another segment of the the ownership, those who do DE's with the PCA.

At some point, if PAG gets it from all sides, they may no longer be able to deny knowledge, and will have to address the issue .

PAG or PCNA have stepped up to the plate in many cases, on an individual basis, and have covered repairs for failures that have occurred outside of the scope of the warranty (engines, centerlocks, etc.). IOW, they have done the right thing.

I just can't understand that there hasn't been anything yet to address this one, even if there was to be "some" cost to the owners. An official solution that doesn't void the warranty, and that is endorsed by Porsche...
Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
While sort of a pain, I think it's nice to see PCA step up and address this issue, rather than playing politics with PCNA.

Also IMO water wetter is always a good idea. I would feel safer if all cars were required to run it.
+1. NASA Requires it for all race cars.. Not sure of DE or not. I think it is a great idea for all cars to have it.. Just a PITA for those dual purpose cars as I understand that it doesn't do the best job in a street application?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I've been running water and water wetter for over 2 seasons.
I know of several 996/997 GT3s and Turbos that have blown coolant fittings including one right in front of me at Calabogie and another right in front of me going into the bus stop at Watkins Glen with a full head of steam. Thank God I was passing a car and was offline at the time.

Temps in my car have gone down.

Its only a matter of time until one of my fittings blows.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Using water with water wetter sounds like an option, however for those of us with a winter season, it does require a flush in the fall and fill with glycol based coolant, followed by an exchange in the spring, every season. Not a cost free option. It would be nice to see Porsche develop a solution.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FFaust
Jeff, I understand what you are saying, and generally agree.

However, just as the referenced Excellence article has done, this will help to make aware another segment of the the ownership, those who do DE's with the PCA.

At some point, if PAG gets it from all sides, they may no longer be able to deny knowledge, and will have to address the issue .

PAG or PCNA have stepped up to the plate in many cases, on an individual basis, and have covered repairs for failures that have occurred outside of the scope of the warranty (engines, centerlocks, etc.). IOW, they have done the right thing.

I just can't understand that there hasn't been anything yet to address this one, even if there was to be "some" cost to the owners. An official solution that doesn't void the warranty, and that is endorsed by Porsche...
I agree with everything you say. Any extra light that can get shed certainly may hopefully influence Porsche to do the right thing. So from that standpoint, they are helping. I just found the PCA wording a wee bit like grandstanding and protectionism, that is all...

But if it helps owners, then it is all good.

Cheers
Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Using water with water wetter sounds like an option, however for those of us with a winter season, it does require a flush in the fall and fill with glycol based coolant, followed by an exchange in the spring, every season. Not a cost free option. It would be nice to see Porsche develop a solution.
Mine is parked in heated storage all winter. No need to flush 2x a year.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:17 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

I ran Water Wetter all last season which was 21 DE days. Works perfectly well and if nothing else gives one confidence that if there is a failure it won't likely result in a potentially big off.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brownan
I ran Water Wetter all last season which was 21 DE days. Works perfectly well and if nothing else gives one confidence that if there is a failure it won't likely result in a potentially big off.
That may be a false confidence. In the June 2011 Excellence they did a follow-up on whether Water Wetter provides an acceptable alternative. They cite a technical paper published by Red Line (makers of Water Wetter) which concluded that a surface covered with plain water or a 3 percent Water Wetter solution will reduce friction relative to dry pavement by 50 percent. With a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water the friction is reduced by another 5-15 percent.

So yes, Water Wetter is not as slippery as anitfreeze, but it's a marginal improvement and if coolant is dumped where tires are being worked near their limit the car is still going off.

From the track management's standpoint, I have heard that they prefer Water Wetter because they can clean it up faster than an antifreeze dump.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:33 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^So u choose to not to do nething and keep things as they are? Regards. Mike
Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^So u choose to not to do nething and keep things as they are? Regards. Mike
Mike - no, that's not what I said at all. Please read it over again - Water Wetter by itself does not seem to be an answer to the problem. People shouldn't get a false sense of security that they and others are "safe" just because they are running straight water or a Water Wetter solution.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

for the folks who run water wetter on a regular basis, have you ever got the buildup mentioned in this thread?

https://rennlist.com/forums/general-...-heads-up.html

Quick Reply: Water wetter vs weld for 997.2 RS