Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Did it -- Ordered my TRAILEX

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:45 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
I tow my 18' open-steel frankensteiner trailer with my X5 without any issues. RS fits on it like a charm. Sure, it's a little ghetto with a bolt-in, aluminum tire rack, but hard to pass up all new, and local for well under $3K. I'd have an open center, even if I had full aluminum.

That said, I have a F350 Dually inbound next week. I smell an enclosed trailer in my future
Crap PVEZ, under 3K !!?? I should have talked to you first! But my new Trailex will sure look--and smell--pretty.

(But so would what I could have bought for the extra 7K !!)
Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Who makes the best "soft covered" through-the-wheel straps to protect my rims when securing the car?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Mac's. The covers come as part of the set.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right on man, thats so sweet//Ive had my eye on that same model for a little while now. Im thinking its a great choice. post pics when it arrives.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GT3
Who makes the best "soft covered" through-the-wheel straps to protect my rims when securing the car?
This is what you want. I use this exact package, and it's great. The direct ratchet strap end is good because it shortens the length of the ratchet unit, which you'll likely need.

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/270/ProPacks
Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911GT3
Crap PVEZ, under 3K !!?? I should have talked to you first! But my new Trailex will sure look--and smell--pretty.

(But so would what I could have bought for the extra 7K !!)
lol, I'm just cheap. You'll be alot happier with the Trailex, and so will your tow vehicle.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Mac's. The covers come as part of the set.
That's what I use! No issues with scratches or scuffs with those babies!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
This is what you want. I use this exact package, and it's great. The direct ratchet strap end is good because it shortens the length of the ratchet unit, which you'll likely need.

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/270/ProPacks
Is this all you need to die the car down to the trailer? Is this kit specific to any particular car/trailer? Man, the whole trailer/towing thing is more complicated than the driving LOL.

Just want to make sure i have all my bases covered. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Is this all you need to die the car down to the trailer? Is this kit specific to any particular car/trailer? Man, the whole trailer/towing thing is more complicated than the driving LOL.

Just want to make sure i have all my bases covered. Thanks.
Yep, this one is all you need. Works on any trailer.

I trailer both my RS and M3 through the wheels and have never had any issues. Anybody who says it "messes up your alignment" is strapping the car down too tightly.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

I just hate the idea of running a strap through my wheels after a track day. All that gravel, brake dust, klag, and other crap on your wheels is going to act like sand paper on your paint when you start tightening those straps. Doesn't matter how soft or padded it is. Sure, the wheels get hammered enough by tracking...but why make it worse?

For the same reason, you should never "wipe down" or detail spray a car's paint between washes.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drl
I just hate the idea of running a strap through my wheels after a track day. All that gravel, brake dust, klag, and other crap on your wheels is going to act like sand paper on your paint when you start tightening those straps. Doesn't matter how soft or padded it is. Sure, the wheels get hammered enough by tracking...but why make it worse?

For the same reason, you should never "wipe down" or detail spray a car's paint between washes.
You'll beat on your 150K car all day long at the track, with a possibility of putting it into a wall at 100mph+, but won't put soft, padded straps through your wheels to get your car home? Those straps won't hurt a thing.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:00 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

It is just like taking a dry rag and rubbing it across your bumper covered in dirt, bug goo, etc. Ask any detailer if this is a smart thing to do!

RE the wheel straps - sure i'd use them if i had to. But i don't! The Rennline option is easier also - lean under the car, clink, done! No guiding the strap thru, reaching around the wheel, hoping not to smack your ceramic rotor edge with the heavy metal strap ring... I have used wheel straps and much prefer the fixed jack point hooks

Quick Reply: Did it -- Ordered my TRAILEX