Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Did it -- Ordered my TRAILEX

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:19 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Another advantage of the CT-8045 is the low fenders, you can open the doors of any car regardless of the position of the car on the trailer. It is the widest trailer between fenders in the market and the lightest for its width too.

I scratched the wheels in the 07 RS and Fiat loading on the Featherlite 3110, given the lip the 3110 has around. The Trailex CT-8045 doesn't have these lips and makes it easier to load the car.

GT3 has sealed underfloor, debris in the open floor version is not a problem, not even in the rain.

The rock guard created a little extra drag, probably 1 or 2 mpg reduced when towing, they also make it more difficult to strap the car.

Rennline tow hooks, and Mac Custom straps. Add the RaceRamps TR-5 to load a GT3/GT3 RS and avoid scraps on the front spoiler lip.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:38 PM
jacksojf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new Trailex.

I use thru' the wheel tie-down with padded axle straps so as not to scuff the wheels. Porsche suggests thru' the wheel and I've never had any problems over the years. I understand others sometimes disagree.

I cross the front straps on my 8045, but just straight shot the rears.

Picked up mine used, no front shield nor winch. Wouldn't mind the shield if it was the Trailex Zipper version; but the winch would come in handy for sure.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Crash427
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's so special about Trailex? Never heard of them till just now. My dad's company carries Aluma, which in my opinion are very nice and have a tilt bed option and full floors are standard. They also have removable fenders for opening and closing doors.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

We carry Aluma, ATC and Trailex.

Trailex is the easiest to use for low sports cars because of the longer ramps. They are also quite a bit lighter than the ATC or Aluma because they are smaller which is very attractive for the guys with smaller tow vehicles. Trailex does tire racks the best. Period. Most options are bolt on. Don't like the location? No problem. Move it.

If you have a bigger tow vehicle Aluma and ATC are bigger and more versatile. They also feature better lighting and torsion axle suspension.

FYI ... for those guys on the fence ... Trailex is coming soon with a 6% price increase.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Crash427
AutoX

So why not get a tilt Aluma and not deal with the ramps? Aren't Aluma cheaper than Trailex?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Crash427
So why not get a tilt Aluma and not deal with the ramps? Aren't Aluma cheaper than Trailex?
Trailex is nearly 1/2 the weight and smaller physically.

The 7541 for narrow 996, even a narrow 997, Cayman, Boxster, 944, 993, 964, early 911 etc. will fit inside many people's garages. Leave the car on and park it inside. What's not to like?

It's a different product. Comparable sure but not really.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:46 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
We carry Aluma, ATC and Trailex.

Trailex is the easiest to use for low sports cars because of the longer ramps. They are also quite a bit lighter than the ATC or Aluma because they are smaller which is very attractive for the guys with smaller tow vehicles. Trailex does tire racks the best. Period. Most options are bolt on. Don't like the location? No problem. Move it.

If you have a bigger tow vehicle Aluma and ATC are bigger and more versatile. They also feature better lighting and torsion axle suspension.

FYI ... for those guys on the fence ... Trailex is coming soon with a 6% price increase.
I tow a 18 foot Aluma behind my V8 Touareg, and don't have any issues.

I am concerned that my GT3 will not have as easy of a time getting on and off as my C2S, but will look into it in the spring.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Get dibs on this one... Slippery slope is in effect and enclosed is coming in <2 yrs :-)
Im already planning on trading my pick up for a 5500 cab chassis.

So you are totally right on enclosed idea not being far behind...

Need to get to the Ridge MS Park in style ......
Old 02-01-2012, 04:53 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
@E55AMG Congrats!! If the Touareg has a brake controller and 9 pin electrical hitch receiver, you should be good to go!!
Thanks! The T-reg does not have a brake controller yet, will buy one. It does come with a 7 to 4 pin connector.

Dumb question, but don't I need a ball? I was told 2". Like I said, i just want ot make sure i have everything I need.

It's been a busy month. Bought a dedicated track car, sold my 997 TT bought T-reg and the trailer.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Crash427
AutoX

Thanks Canuck.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:35 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Thanks! The T-reg does not have a brake controller yet, will buy one. It does come with a 7 to 4 pin connector.

Dumb question, but don't I need a ball? I was told 2". Like I said, i just want ot make sure i have everything I need.

It's been a busy month. Bought a dedicated track car, sold my 997 TT bought T-reg and the trailer.
Congrats on the Treg! I have a Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, works very well. You will need to get a OEM Trailer Hitch Kit if you don't have one already. It includes the control box that connects that trailer to the electronics (signal, brake lights, alarm, Transmission shift patterns, etc) of the Touareg. Also, you need to make sure that the system is set up for NA trailer lights, as the default (new with vehicle or dealer installed kit) is set for European lights. Check out clubtouareg.com for more info, as there are a lot of threads on this topic...also good for other stuff about the Treg.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

I am also in the market for a trailer... debating open vs. full box. Looked into the BRE Aerovault and Trailex enclosed but the limited use has me hesitating (I will also use it for racing karts in WKA NRRS). I will probably end up going with InTech's 24' enclosed which is a bit more money but gives me a lot more utility. The only real problem is, where to store it?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 109 Posts

I tow my 18' open-steel frankensteiner trailer with my X5 without any issues. RS fits on it like a charm. Sure, it's a little ghetto with a bolt-in, aluminum tire rack, but hard to pass up all new, and local for well under $3K. I'd have an open center, even if I had full aluminum.

That said, I have a F350 Dually inbound next week. I smell an enclosed trailer in my future

Last edited by Mvez; 11-04-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 109 Posts

PROLine offer a great price and features for a brand new, enclosed aluminum trailer. I'm considering it.

http://www.nhtrailers.com/car-hauler-trailer.htm
Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drdrank
Did you order yours new?

I've been looking for a used one but haven't found. Just got the tow vehicle, so now in search of the trailer.

May just buy new. Any suggestions having just ordered? Anything you'd get different?
Ordering is so easy, Ken was very helpful. The only thing different I would get is a larger tow vehicle and an enclosed trailer !!!

(If I had a place to store it and wanted to get a bigger tow vehicle.)

Quick Reply: Did it -- Ordered my TRAILEX