Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Did it -- Ordered my TRAILEX

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Did it -- Ordered my TRAILEX

Got the 8045 for easier loading, and for when I end up with an RS and need the extra width! Got the rock guard, aluminum floor to protect underside from debris, tire rack, hand winch, tool box and aluminum wheels with spare.

I guess I will track on my MPSCs for another weekend or two, and then I can go track tires if I want. So, any advice on the best securing methods would be most appreciated--i.e. tie downs, through the wheels or other?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

I use Mac's Custom Tie Downs - expensive, but, good. Never had any problems through the wheels.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:04 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Mac's custom tie downs with the direct hook kit, and Rennline tow mounts.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

sweet buy!

im still in the market for a used 8045 on either the pacific cost or florida coast..... anybody??
Old 02-01-2012, 02:16 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were to do it over, to setup for tie downs I would have e-track or versa track installed by the trailer mfg. I would also add d-rings to the outermost corner of the trailer floor, iow outside the tire track front and rear, so tie downs could be attached to centerlock loop on the cup car you're gonna end up with!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:27 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
sweet buy!

im still in the market for a used 8045 on either the pacific cost or florida coast..... anybody??
Get dibs on this one... Slippery slope is in effect and enclosed is coming in <2 yrs :-)

Congrats OP - trailering opens another level of track enjoyment.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:31 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Congratulations, I had an 8045 for several years and then upgraded to the enclosed Trailex. great trailers. As for tie downs I use the Trailex straps and on the SC use the front and rear tow hooks to hold it down. For the Cayman I use the front screw in tow hook and attach straps to the two front trailer tiedown points as well as attach the winch cable to the tow hook. For the rear I use through the wheel straps as there are few other choices with the Cayman. Remember to cross your straps. I have towed both trailers with my Cayenne S with no problems . One of the long term nice things about Trailex is their resale value. Also all the people at Trailex are great and treat you right. Enjoy
Old 02-01-2012, 09:42 AM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you order yours new?

I've been looking for a used one but haven't found. Just got the tow vehicle, so now in search of the trailer.

May just buy new. Any suggestions having just ordered? Anything you'd get different?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

I went the same route, ordered my 8045 a la cart.
Tool box, full floor, tire rack, aluminum rims, aluminum spare, electric brakes and winch mount(installed a Costco 4500lb winch myself, fraction of the Trailex winch cost). I've been extremely happy with it and have no regrets.

Though in a few yrs could see an enclosed Trailex as a logical progression!...... unless someone wants to trade down sooner

As for tiedowns I loop through the wheel, and let the suspension work. No issues with alignment or wheel marking.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 AM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an RS so need the wider platform. So I should order the 8045, maybe rock guard, tool box, will do open floor so I can change my oil, aluminum rims and spare, electric brakes (better for towing with SUV right?), and winch mount but by electric winch separate?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by drdrank
I have an RS so need the wider platform. So I should order the 8045, maybe rock guard, tool box, will do open floor so I can change my oil, aluminum rims and spare, electric brakes (better for towing with SUV right?), and winch mount but by electric winch separate?

Thanks!
You need the 8045 for the width. Tool box, aluminum wheels, tire rack are all pretty popular.

Depends how you look at the winch.

Trailex uses Warn and they have a remote option. Pretty cool IMO.

Off brand are available cheaper.

Get the mount with the trailer. If you add it later you have to take apart the tongue to install it.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks!
I do not see teh need for rock guard unless you are hauling a show car without clear bra
Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 341 Posts

I just ordered a brand new Trailex 7541. Got it with tire rack, spare, elec. brakes, winch.

Not to hijack the thread, but since this is all new to me, what else do I need with this to hook it up to my tow vehicle? I also bought a new Touareg TDI with factory hitch.

just want to make sure that when the car and trailer are delivered i'm not standing around without some other parts that I needed to buy.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:13 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Unless you travel a lot of gravel roads, IMO rock guard will get in the way of the straps and become a PITA when loading and unloading your car. My tow vehicle and loaded tire rack block my car while towing, but then again after a track event it's hard to tell ... plus my car, like most, is vinyl wrapped.

Put that money toward a full floor, it makes the trailer much more versatile. The concept of doing oil changes on an open Trailex is fine, just never heard first hand how it works and how much of an oil mess you make on your shiny new Trailex

Definitely get a winch mount and I agree, the remote wireless winch from Trailex is cool. Guess it depends on how you feel with "just" a 4500lb Champion winch with a tethered remote on the trailer, plus an extra $600-700+ in your pocket ..... entirely up to you. Mine's been on for almost a year and other than a few practice runs, I've never used it out of need.... but I just jinxed myself

Old 02-01-2012, 03:15 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

@E55AMG Congrats!! If the Touareg has a brake controller and 9 pin electrical hitch receiver, you should be good to go!!

Quick Reply: Did it -- Ordered my TRAILEX