Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Winterfest Photo's

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 100 Posts

When you use up all the tuning options at the front of the car, then you have to look to take grip away from the rear. I normally don't like doing this, but in this case where there is obviously immense rear grip, it's ok.

In Trakcar's case, assuming he isn't willing to change to stiffer front springs and more front camber (which I like), he needs to take some grip away from the rear, because the front bar is already on full soft, which only adds understeer in the mid corner when it's loaded up. Since his rear camber is already low, at -1.8ish, he can't reduce that anymore either. So more rear bar is the easy way to address things. Plus, then he can put his front bar back one hole to allow him to lean on it more, helping him mid-corner. Then, if the car becomes too loose, you can just add a tad bit more rear camber.

I'm not saying take a bunch of grip away, but just enough to help rotate the car and allow him to get back on throttle quicker. More rear bar is the quickest and easiest way to achieve this. 335's and Cup LSD are certainly more than enough to overload 245 front tires.

GMG bars would be the next step. It's incremental, but add ALOT more tuning to the car, especially the rear, as it's considerably stiffer than the GT2 bar.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Different drivers, conditions. I must test settings. I wish I was not so lazy.
No excuse..you have Randy!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
When you use up all the tuning options at the front of the car, then you have to look to take grip away from the rear. I normally don't like doing this, but in this case where there is obviously immense rear grip, it's ok.

In Trakcar's case, assuming he isn't willing to change to stiffer front springs and more front camber (which I like), he needs to take some grip away from the rear, because the front bar is already on full soft, which only adds understeer in the mid corner when it's loaded up. Since his rear camber is already low, at -1.8ish, he can't reduce that anymore either. So more rear bar is the easy way to address things. Plus, then he can put his front bar back one hole to allow him to lean on it more, helping him mid-corner. Then, if the car becomes too loose, you can just add a tad bit more rear camber.

I'm not saying take a bunch of grip away, but just enough to help rotate the car and allow him to get back on throttle quicker. More rear bar is the quickest and easiest way to achieve this. 335's and Cup LSD are certainly more than enough to overload 245 front tires.

GMG bars would be the next step. It's incremental, but add ALOT more tuning to the car, especially the rear, as it's considerably stiffer than the GT2 bar.
I put on unshaven toys and it's like stiffening rear bar, less grip. You under steer goes away put *** less planted in the fast stuff. I will go full stiff rear next week and if not planted enough go stiffer front as you suggested. See what is faster for me.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
devil is in details of ratio between rate of springs and sway bars setup to work in balance for mid-corner and corner exit with reduced corner entry for which you need to pre-load car during trailbraking. very easy in theory but practical implementation may suck.
Thanks for that Paul

Interesting, per Joe's cheat sheet:

Problem: Mid-corner understeer: Solution ==> Stiffen front anti-roll bar

@ Mvez, great write-up

@ mdrums, Mike, maybe you could install an adjustable GT3 bar on the GTS. Might not address the lean directly, but would give you something to play with.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the turn in with full soft, told you that before.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:37 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I put on unshaven toys and it's like stiffening rear bar, less grip. You under steer goes away put *** less planted in the fast stuff. I will go full stiff rear next week and if not planted enough go stiffer front as you suggested. See what is faster for me.
Leave the rear 2010 RS bar in the middle, move the front bar to the middle (more udnersteer), and put a 275/35R18 in the front, stop running a skinny front tire.

Any attempts to balance the RS with 245/335 tires will result on removing grip from the rear, and in low speed turns where Aero is not too helpful, you won't be able to go full gas on exit (T3, T7, T10, T13). It will also affect the car negatively on quick transitions (T3, T4, T5 at Sebring).

997.2 is radically different to 997.1. The 997.1 needs more rear bar and more camber, the 997.2 less rear bar and less camber.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

FFaust I planon new sways that are adjustable very soon. I'm in SoCal with a free day and rental car tomorrow and will visit GMG and RSS and see what they say would fit and work. GTS has some thick big rear crossmember that does not look like GT3 version and rear bar for a regular GT3 shape doesn't seem to look like it would fit.

I'd also,like to try some ever so slightly lower and stiffer springs but not sure if that would screw up my sport PASM shocks. I just don't want to bounce around on the bumps at Sebring...that is unsettled
Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I would not replace the bars on the car, like Rad said the set up on a .2 is completely different than the .1
Old 01-17-2012, 08:38 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Leave the rear 2010 RS bar in the middle, move the front bar to the middle (more udnersteer), and put a 275/35R18 in the front, stop running a skinny front tire.

Any attempts to balance the RS with 245/335 tires will result on removing grip from the rear, and in low speed turns where Aero is not too helpful, you won't be able to go full gas on exit (T3, T7, T10, T13). It will also affect the car negatively on quick transitions (T3, T4, T5 at Sebring).

997.2 is radically different to 997.1. The 997.1 needs more rear bar and more camber, the 997.2 less rear bar and less camber.
very interesting!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

That is that I have now, 275/335 and empirically somehow I ended up with front bar full soft and rear at middle, gt2 bars. I will try to revert it at first spring session and try it this way but I believe my car did not like front bar at anything than full soft. Or may be I developed too many bad habits to rely on 'rail' like front grip.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
That is that I have now, 275/335 and empirically somehow I ended up with front bar full soft and rear at middle, gt2 bars. I will try to revert it at first spring session and try it this way but I believe my car did not like front bar at anything than full soft. Or may be I developed too many bad habits to rely on 'rail' like front grip.
997.1 GT3 are radically different on setup to 997.2 GT3. The 996 and 997.1 GT3 keep a more common approach, similar camber/toe settings and similar spring rates.

997.2 changed drastically, it uses less camber (-0.7 less), it rotates more bone stock than both the 996 and 997.1 GT3 (less understeer), it can also run lower on the chassis without creating bump steer, and the shocks have some magic in them.

Despite of the 4.0RS being on Michelin slicks but everything else stock this past weekend (except exhaust), the car did not exhibit body lean as my 997.1 GT3 RS had in a stiffer suspension setup, and lower grip slicks, Porsche magic.

997 Carrera S and 997.2 Carrera S are uncharted territory, different uprights, different track, different caster, different wheelbase, different weight distribution, different aero, too different to share the fine tuning specs on the 997.2 GT3 RS. I don't like the mechanicals in the Boxster/Cayman/Carrera, they are just not track capable, and a bunch of weak parts with the shape of a Porsche.

On my Cayman I run a 2010 GT3 front bar, at full soft it feels sloppy, I ran Sebring with it at full stiff (4 holes stiffer), but ran on a square setup set of tires (Hoosier R6 255/255x18). I like the precision of a stiff front bar without the understeer, that means big fat tires in the front.

Skinny front tires don't help braking, and they require a softer front to reduce understeer.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Rad... My GTS is a Carrera S suspension... I did get the Sport. Erosion of PASM though. What would you suggest for my car? It leans a lot too and now with the stock
Size 235/305 MPSC I get understeer mid corner try to put the power down.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,786 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Starts with Mr. 4.0 warming up his cheater Super Cups, and than Grady and I, unfortunately ran out of memory, but I have it all on the rear camera, will post soon.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eFgoPLXLQfE
Video MIA
Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Rad... My GTS is a Carrera S suspension... I did get the Sport. Erosion of PASM though. What would you suggest for my car? It leans a lot too and now with the stock
Size 235/305 MPSC I get understeer mid corner try to put the power down.
I love car to push mud corner just open wheel up and put power down
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by Nizer
Video MIA
???

Quick Reply: Winterfest Photo's