Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Personal lap times in your GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

if only ...

christian (I forget his RL username) with the SY 7.1 GT3 is quite a bit faster than I ... he turns 7:4-5x BtoGs ...
Old 12-27-2011, 09:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Wow. Let's be sure to invite him to our little challenge.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope to drive the ring one day
Old 12-28-2011, 12:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

On my flight back home tonight I read that the new 991 Carrera S with PDK did 7:40 at the Ring. It didn't mention what tires where used like most Ring time articles never seem to mention this.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
On my flight back home tonight I read that the new 991 Carrera S with PDK did 7:40 at the Ring. It didn't mention what tires where used like most Ring time articles never seem to mention this.
gottabe pirellis or michelin ps2 ...
Old 12-28-2011, 02:43 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Welcome!
Not many of us have been lucky enough to drive the RIng, let alone master it enough to post a decent lap.

I only have a few laps in a rental car and I think anyone going for a fast lap within the first 100 laps is suicidal ;-)

Larry Cable?
Carreras Jim?
Northschleife?
There is a guy here in Seattle that won the 24 hours back in the 70's in a 911 privateer team. I asked him how many laps it takes to get the ring down. His answer:... 100 at least.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
There is a guy here in Seattle that won the 24 hours back in the 70's in a 911 privateer team. I asked him how many laps it takes to get the ring down. His answer:... 100 at least.
I would say its around that, min 50 or so... having a coach or attending a school really helps!

When I went there for the 1st time in 2001 (see avatar) I attended the BMW 3 day school which breaks the track up into sections, does lead-follows thru the sections, the full laps before turning you lose ... which helps a lot, but you do get lulled into a sense of false security ... once you are out there on your own without another car in front of you to "follow" you soon realize that its a long, complex track to be out on in a GT3 ...

the following year I learned from that experience and found a small number of full lap videos from youtube, downloaded those and watched them ad nauseum with a track map until I visually memorized the track ...

since then I have just been honing my line, working on increasing speeds etc ... and I lost count of how may laps I have actually done!

if you haven't driven it ... add it to your bucket list!

p.s
I dont personally find any of the video games helpful, if anything I think their lack of feedback probably engenders a false sense of mastery of the line and the physics associated with it ...
Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My first time at the Ring I went in totally blind with no preparation at all -- no video games, no youtube-studying, not even really looking over a track map.

I was slow where I couldn't see, botched a few of the turns pretty consistently, but overall it worked out just fine. By the end of the day I was turning what felt like a great pace for the car and pushing it pretty hard through the corners I liked. As long as I looked ahead it mostly all worked out fine. We did spectate a few of the corners the day before, so I had a few corner sequences figured out. My girlfriend helped a bit from the right seat reminding me sometimes "this is the first set of corners where we watched yesterday" which was quite beneficial.

My gut feeling? A big part of the reputation that the Ring has for being an overwhelming track comes not from the track itself but from the high tempo traffic management and ridiculous car/driver performance differential that the public days entail. For an inexperienced driver it's surely nerve-wracking. If you've done any wheel to wheel at all or white run group driving you'll pretty easily have the situational awareness to spot approaching faster traffic and manage passing without much drama. At least that was my experience. You've just got to watch your mirrors and read the other drivers while still leaving enough mental energy to stay on the pavement. For your average blue solo driver it's a lot to keep track of, but for a junkie it's just a hoot.

It's near impossible to be fast in fewer than 50 laps, for sure. But I don't think any DE junkie should feel intimidated to just go and drive. Difficult to master the track, but I didn't find it too difficult to be safe and have fun. Just don't take a stopwatch and make sure your goals are aligned with your experience level.

I was also worried that my Texas experience with our limitless runoff wouldn't well prepare me for the close walls and often narrow track. In practice I didn't find that to be any problem at all. I didn't feel claustrophobic and the walls didn't leave me nervous about using all the track. That was a relief.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
My first time at the Ring I went in totally blind with no preparation at all -- no video games, no youtube-studying, not even really looking over a track map.

I was slow where I couldn't see, botched a few of the turns pretty consistently, but overall it worked out just fine. By the end of the day I was turning what felt like a great pace for the car and pushing it pretty hard through the corners I liked. As long as I looked ahead it mostly all worked out fine. We did spectate a few of the corners the day before, so I had a few corner sequences figured out. My girlfriend helped a bit from the right seat reminding me sometimes "this is the first set of corners where we watched yesterday" which was quite beneficial.

My gut feeling? A big part of the reputation that the Ring has for being an overwhelming track comes not from the track itself but from the high tempo traffic management and ridiculous car/driver performance differential that the public days entail. For an inexperienced driver it's surely nerve-wracking. If you've done any wheel to wheel at all or white run group driving you'll pretty easily have the situational awareness to spot approaching faster traffic and manage passing without much drama. At least that was my experience. You've just got to watch your mirrors and read the other drivers while still leaving enough mental energy to stay on the pavement. For your average blue solo driver it's a lot to keep track of, but for a junkie it's just a hoot.

It's near impossible to be fast in fewer than 50 laps, for sure. But I don't think any DE junkie should feel intimidated to just go and drive. Difficult to master the track, but I didn't find it too difficult to be safe and have fun. Just don't take a stopwatch and make sure your goals are aligned with your experience level.

I was also worried that my Texas experience with our limitless runoff wouldn't well prepare me for the close walls and often narrow track. In practice I didn't find that to be any problem at all. I didn't feel claustrophobic and the walls didn't leave me nervous about using all the track. That was a relief.
there are however a number of places, where if something goes wrong, the chances of you walking away without at least car damage is slim to none, and there are few places where even with the runoff present, the high speeds involved quickly obviate that advantage ...

a number of the corners are pretty technical (esp at speed) many are blind, and involve camber/surface changes, the number of accidents, injuries and deaths there are a testament to something ...

the tourist days are nuts, there is the whole spectrum of cars and skill levels, hell they even let bus tours on the track ... and as for the bikes well I think this says it all:
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2011, 03:22 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Mk1 BtoG 7:32
Old 12-28-2011, 03:27 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 728 Likes on 440 Posts

It's on my bucket list for sure! Do you guys know how we can take our own cars to the 'ring from US?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:44 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We should post lap times of our local track times and what tires were used
Old 12-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
sweet ... flying lap helps a bit ...
Old 12-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sin911
It's on my bucket list for sure! Do you guys know how we can take our own cars to the 'ring from US?
short answer is "yes" ...

if you hold the title on your car then you can ship it into the EU for up to 6 months without penality or a requirement to register it (as long as your local registratiojn remains valid).

You can ship it on a RoRo for around $1500 one-way or pop it in a 40' container at a higher cost.

getting temporary insurance is problematic, a bunch of us looked into this last year and could not get anyone to underwrite it (GEICO overseas) although I believe if you have USAA then it is easier ...

mission accomplished
Old 12-28-2011, 03:49 PM
M3ike
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

The guy driving in the Youtube video is Manuel Metzger, one of my team mates at Black Falcon. He is the current overall VLN champion and production car champion. He is a fantastic driver and it was only his eight lap ever with a GT3 on the Ring. His personal best in the Z4 3.0 full Nordschleife with short GP circuit is around 9.30, my personal best in the same car is 10.08 in this year's VLN.
I just bought a GT3RS MK1 in green two months ago but haven't tracked it yet.
Cheers
Mike

Quick Reply: Personal lap times in your GT3?