Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 PM
markus_t19
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
nice going Markus!
Originally Posted by M3ike
The guy driving in the Youtube video is Manuel Metzger, one of my team mates at Black Falcon. He is the current overall VLN champion and production car champion. He is a fantastic driver and it was only his eight lap ever with a GT3 on the Ring. His personal best in the Z4 3.0 full Nordschleife with short GP circuit is around 9.30, my personal best in the same car is 10.08 in this year's VLN.
I just bought a GT3RS MK1 in green two months ago but haven't tracked it yet.
Cheers
Mike
To provide some perspective on Ring times achieved in Tourist driving (BTG), full Ring laps and VLN racing:
- add c 20-25 sec to a BTG time (as driven in Tourist traffic where you need to stop after every lap to check-in for the next round) to compute a full flying Ring lap (as driven in some track events, eg RTS http://www.racing-trend-service.de/seite1l.htm)
- add another c1:30 to 1:40 to compute a VLN lap: it took me 1:39 on a Cup/slicks for the "short" GP circuit driven in the VLN races

a reality check of this looks like this:
i did 8:15 full ring flying lap on my GT3 RS Mk2 on MPSC (un-modded) in very little traffic.
And i did 1:39 on the VLN section of the GP circuit (in very little traffic on a 2007 Cup on Michelin slicks).

This translates into a theoretical VLN lap time of c9:55 minutes. In reality I did average ariund 10 mins on a Cup/slicks in VLN traffic.

To add a benchmark for us (amateur level): c8:55 performed on the same 2007 Cup on Michelin slicks by a driver with c1000 laps on a VLN lap with little traffic (ie lap 2 or 3 in a VLN race...it is on youtube somewhere). This would suggest c7:20 for the original Ring without the VLN/GP"short circuit" (on a Cup tuned to the Ring and on slicks).

beyond all the theory come and visit us to sense the VLN experience...

Markus
Old 01-06-2012, 09:15 PM
markus_t19
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by markus_t19
To provide some perspective on Ring times achieved in Tourist driving (BTG), full Ring laps and VLN racing:
- add c 20-25 sec to a BTG time (as driven in Tourist traffic where you need to stop after every lap to check-in for the next round) to compute a full flying Ring lap (as driven in some track events, eg RTS http://www.racing-trend-service.de/seite1l.htm)
- add another c1:30 to 1:40 to compute a VLN lap: it took me 1:39 on a Cup/slicks for the "short" GP circuit driven in the VLN races

a reality check of this looks like this:
i did 8:15 full ring flying lap on my GT3 RS Mk2 on MPSC (un-modded) in very little traffic.
And i did 1:39 on the VLN section of the GP circuit (in very little traffic on a 2007 Cup on Michelin slicks).

This translates into a theoretical VLN lap time of c9:55 minutes. In reality I did average ariund 10 mins on a Cup/slicks in VLN traffic.

To add a benchmark for us (amateur level): c8:55 performed on the same 2007 Cup on Michelin slicks by a driver with c1000 laps on a VLN lap with little traffic (ie lap 2 or 3 in a VLN race...it is on youtube somewhere). This would suggest c7:20 for the original Ring without the VLN/GP"short circuit" (on a Cup tuned to the Ring and on slicks).

beyond all the theory come and visit us to sense the VLN experience...

Markus
here are 2 of the benchmark laps in VLN racing:

just listening to shifting gears is priceless...and so it is in reality

A bit more flavor of what racing in the VLN with a CUP on the Rings is all abour you can see at the beginning of this

enjoy...
Old 01-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

thank you Larry.
Following your tip i did a bit of you-tubing the ring...and found amongst other stuff your vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpeIb...layer_embedded
Very nice driving.
In response to the comment "I think the guy in the RS in front of me should have handed the keys over!" i have to admit that actually it is me (and one of your fellow instructors) in the RS who held you up between 7:55 and 8:15. Sorry for ruining your lap as i was doing my cool-down towards the end of my stint (and if i remember correctly the end of the day).

cheers,
mt
I was actually driving Jim Chamber's new RS and trying to show him the line and not thrash his new car ... but still the red mist of the ring took over ...

I really wanted the guy in the turbo to get out of the way!

yours, extremely embarassed ...

Larry

p.s
next time we are there, I will buy you as many beers as it takes!

p.p.s
I hear it is not looking good for the BMW school this year ...
Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

These threads drive me nuts.

Honestly don't think I have what it takes to go fastish without killing myself until I do 100+ laps..
Than again with the euro going to parity it's getting cheaper and cheaper. A $40k 4.3 Manthey followed by a summer of ring driving are bucket list items.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 AM
markus_t19
Advanced

I was actually driving Jim Chamber's new RS and trying to show him the line and not thrash his new car ... but still the red mist of the ring took over ...

I really wanted the guy in the turbo to get out of the way!

yours, extremely embarassed ...

Larry

p.s
next time we are there, I will buy you as many beers as it takes!

p.p.s
I hear it is not looking good for the BMW school this year ...

Hi Larry- no worries

have not heard anything from the BMW school either.

A good alternative is
http://www.scuderia-hanseat.de/en/news.html.
similar format as BMW school with sections and some time every day for full (unguided) laps.

i am planning for their May session.

Markus
Old 01-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hi Larry- no worries

have not heard anything from the BMW school either.

A good alternative is
http://www.scuderia-hanseat.de/en/news.html.
similar format as BMW school with sections and some time every day for full (unguided) laps.

i am planning for their May session.

Markus
yes I heard that they had dates, I was half thinking of that also ... although I am also very tempted by the PSDS GForce school in Leipzig in June...
Old 01-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
These threads drive me nuts.

Honestly don't think I have what it takes to go fastish without killing myself until I do 100+ laps..
Than again with the euro going to parity it's getting cheaper and cheaper. A $40k 4.3 Manthey followed by a summer of ring driving are bucket list items.
show up the same time I am the I will coach you through the lines ... 3 days 10 laps a day ...
Old 01-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

here are 2 of the benchmark laps in VLN racing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe5X0IQl010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBKHCEnMheM

just listening to shifting gears is priceless...and so it is in reality

A bit more flavor of what racing in the VLN with a CUP on the Rings is all abour you can see at the beginning of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFoCrHwULC0&feature=fvsr

enjoy...
Ive been talking with Jim about doing the VLN this year ...but getting licensed etc from the US is a pain if you dont hold a US national license ...

grumble...
Old 01-07-2012, 03:20 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Ive been talking with Jim about doing the VLN this year ...but getting licensed etc from the US is a pain if you dont hold a US national license ...

grumble...

Brother Larry you can have mine.. We need to work on your hair a bit, but it can pass..
Old 01-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Brother Larry you can have mine.. We need to work on your hair a bit, but it can pass..
in addition to the hair I would have to lose about 25 years and 100lbs my friend!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:34 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Well it's just a head shot..u know..
Old 01-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Well it's just a head shot..u know..
John if you look like a 50yr old balding overweight scot you are having way too much fun my friend!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 AM
markus_t19
Advanced

grumble...
Larry,
just a thought. Have you looked into obtaining a German license?
(unlike many other sports) for racing the formalities are easy.
Markus

P.S. i just checked. foreigners can get a German racing license if they live in Germany

Last edited by markus_t19; 01-08-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Larry,
just a thought. Have you looked into obtaining a German license?
(unlike many other sports) for racing the formalities are easy.
Markus

P.S. i just checked. foreigners can get a German racing license if they live in Germany
Hi Markus, yes I had looked into it, but of course I dont live there so its a bit problematic ...

thanks for looking into this for me though!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

show up the same time I am the I will coach you through the lines ... 3 days 10 laps a day ...
I'd love to take you up on it!

Quick Reply: Personal lap times in your GT3?