Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Laguna Seca/ Fire extinguisher

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:04 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Laguna Seca/ Fire extinguisher

I and a few friends were at LS last weekend at FDR event. We rented Spec Miata's . never been to LS...what a track.
Now to my point of posting.
In the Mixed group ( passing with or without a point by) at turn five there was a 996 that broke down and caught fire at the right rear corner....to my amazement the track stayed hot and the driver was out of his car standing next to it. no yellows and more dissappointing no black or Red F***ing flag.
Assuming that the driver did not have a fire extingusher either, it took several minutes for Sanity to hit everyone and end the sesssion.
I admitt it, currently I do not have an extinguisher in my track car but after witnessing extreme incompetency on track, I am going to have one installed soon.
If you ever track, do not live under the mercy of the cornerworkers..you never know how bad they may be.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:25 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I need one too. What kind are you getting?
Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

great advice. The only problem is I bet half the people can't access them in time to prevent wide s[read damage.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

If mine catches fire trakcar and I will watch it burn and make s'mores

And I do have an extinguisher
Old 12-24-2011, 12:23 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

U better run if car catches fire. I be running out of harm's way. Some outfits it's mandatory to have a a minimum 2.5 lb there but have u tried spraying it- it don't last long ie 4 seconds.
Try timing yourself once u notice fire-park it then take off harnesses etc then try taking out fire extinguisher. If u ain't out in 8 seconds u be singed. I have fully plumbed system and it's only for regulation if i see ne spark I'm so gone- let it fry. Mike
Old 12-24-2011, 01:38 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
at turn five there was a 996 that broke down and caught fire at the right rear corner....to my amazement the track stayed hot and the driver was out of his car standing next to it. no yellows and more dissappointing no black or Red F***ing flag.
Wait, was this on Friday or Saturday? I was there on Friday the 16th, and this exact thing happened, but the yellow flag went up instantly, and the black flag came up right after. I have video of the fire from that day. Go to 6:54. Was this it? Or did the same thing happen on Saturday too?

Old 12-24-2011, 02:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

not all corner workers are "professionals".

also, dont plan on depending on cornerworkers. if you have FE or system, pull it, and get the fk out of the car and get behind a conc wall. dont just stand there. i caught fire once, and luckily it was right before hot pit so i got there, and bailed.

oh, no i caught fire 2x. first time in cayman s. i did use the FE, the ubiquitous 2.5lbs hand hand. it wont work. if you have a "fire", run. you need like 10lbs to even have an effect.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a guy save his car with a 2.5 lb. extinguisher at an autocross event. Car would have been a total loss without it. Happened right in front of my position. I wouldn't mess with a fire inside the car, but an extinguisher is worthwhile.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I have one mounted in front of driver's seat. I figure if nothing else I can reach it and use it to save me. Recently I declined helping a friend mount a FE on his roll bar. I asked him not to mount it behind him where he cannot reach it. Just as important as an FE: put your harness on, then add a blind fold. See how long it takes you to get out of your car.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:04 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Mine is behind me on the roll bar but easy to reach, click on my pics link below if you want to see where it's mounted on CS bar.

No front cage, so easy to get out anyway.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:25 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll let it burn to the ground ... run and never look back
Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
not all corner workers are "professionals".
totally true. it is also a matter of self-prevervation to know at what corners there are most people standing and where are extinguishers stored right next to a track.
if one stops half mile away from a corner where no one sees you and no one can get there in 10 seconds - well, you are on your own pretty much, get out and watch it burn.
watching some videos of how fast everything happens when fuel rail comes off i think no one can do anything (other than smash fire suppression button if you have one) but all 3 cases of smoke i saw last season was related to suspension and wheel bearings issues and with thos drivers were able to stop very close to pits where a lot of people quickly sprayed them.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

yes practice getting out

my race car has full cage,
nets
cool
suit

when I saw fire, pitted and got out. the safety ppl later told me that they have never see anything got out of a car so fast.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:22 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
yes practice getting out

my race car has full cage,
nets
cool
suit

when I saw fire, pitted and got out. the safety ppl later told me that they have never see anything got out of a car so fast.
LOL

I'm so bored at home. Nothing to do, the bar is officially opened.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:36 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Wait, was this on Friday or Saturday? I was there on Friday the 16th, and this exact thing happened, but the yellow flag went up instantly, and the black flag came up right after. I have video of the fire from that day. Go to 6:54. Was this it? Or did the same thing happen on Saturday too?

Friday. Lightning deos not hit twice in the same place, I hope.....
When I came up to that corner #5. He was actually on fire (before all this smoke) across from the corner worker ...no flag there for sure, no flag up the hill, no flag at the corkscrew, First flag was down at Rainey Curve...do the math for time in a Miata that would seem like Eternity when there is a fire involved.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca/ Fire extinguisher