Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

drove a GT3 for the first time.... got let down....with so much expectation going...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

For street racing in a Porsche go get a 997.2 Turbo S.....the S model is insane in stock form.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to bring your "stock scud or your GT2" up north and come drive with me on real roads!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns930
so i didnt slide nor nothing during my drive,
That's cool - 'cause the ball cap you wear sideways would have most definitely hit the B pillar in that case and that would be the zhits!

Good post though.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Johns930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree.
I don't drag race or care if any car is faster in a straight, but I'm just shocked it feel this slow accelerating.
I really wish it will be fast when I take it to my home course, the mountain.
But if it's really fast on a track it also makes no sense in my country where we don't have tracks or easy access to one.
All my driving is in the mountains and I don't think there's much room for error, but let's hope it's good there.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sure, the sensation of my CL65 was that it is much faster then the GT3, but what you are missing is the torque sensation of speed, more than actual lack of speed. It is not that much slower if you keep ...
Old 12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

What's with all this "SLOW SLOW SLOW". Looking for me?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

There's more to a car than just acceleration but you also mention that the handling wasn't exciting which is somewhat surprising to hear considering the majority seem to love it.

We all buy cars for different reasons and we have a different belief of what the perfect car is. Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion and voting with your wallet how you choose.

Most important is to enjoy your choice of car in good health, afterall these types of cars are purchased for our mental health and nothing more.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,671 Likes on 2,333 Posts

no offense
i come from 900-1000 hp supras when i was in high school and even some giant block mustangs.
hard to believe, but you must have seen fast and furious. i lived that life (luckily i didn't die. but certainly watch dozens of friend die..)
GT2 is a fast car
GT3 is a slow car unless it has a somewhat decent driver.
i am still learning.
but hot shoes like rad and reter are WOT in turns just about every turn.
remove the brake pads, it's really fast. i only use backings.
you need to learn how to drive it.
you know you got to find the G spot. it's not her, it's you.
GT3 is much faster on taiwan mts than GT2. dont brk much, turn in while braking, let it go side ways, catch it, then squeeze the throttle, take out a few motorcyclist then full throttle as you approach the outside guardrail. you cannot do it in GT2. once you straighten out, GT2 will catch up only to find yet another turn that you will drop the GT2.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:32 AM
ethel19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sorry but I think this is one of the strangest posts I have ever read. First for a person the was "speechless" there was a lot said here. Straight line speed has never really been an issue with 911's I thought. If you go back to the 1960's if you wanted speed in a straight line then you went out and bought a Vette or a big block something or other. But to call a car that can go 0-60 in about 4 sec. slow does not make much sense to me. The feeling expressed here shows why there are many cars to choose from out there. If this is so slow then go buy another car or go to a tuner and put a bunch of turbo's on the thing and produce 1200hp.
In my humble opinion this car is about balance. I find that when I am on that mountain road just the right amount of power can be put to the road in the most accurate way with a GT3. That is why I sold my Z06. It was so difficult to use the power that that car had that I felt like I could never control it properly.
Not that the Vette was a bad car. More likely I am a poor driver. But to me the 3 is a car I can control better with less "speed" then a car with "more" power and less straight line speed.
Just my 2 cents on the issue.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

the shoks are adjustable.....lift the rear ride height maximum and front to a mimimum

Move gas tank from the front to the rear, increases traction and rear weight bias

There are two bolts that hold teh suspenion to the frame, reomve those and attach your whellie bar

Since there are no rear seats, cut out the tub, maybe 13" slick?

behind the rear license plate is a tow hook connection, use that to attach parachute

Now we are ready to throw some HP at the car.......there is some idiot that has put twin turbos on one, Pm him......then install pro fogger nitrous

ur GT2 will now feel slow
Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,671 Likes on 2,333 Posts

^ dude, i had pro fogger NOS in my supra. i drag race right outside my highschool that's the only way asians 1/2 the size of line backer get blonds.... but then.... after i got them, they were over rated. i prefer red with freckles now.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

You said you have all the GT series cars? Which ones are you talking about besides the 996 GT2? Do you actually have all of them or have pictures of them? The 996 is a much more raw feeling car imo than the 997. The sensation of speed is definitely higher in the 996. You obviously have the scariest 996. Maybe that is what you are used to. It is all good.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ dude, i had pro fogger NOS in my supra. i drag race right outside my highschool that's the only way asians 1/2 the size of line backer get blonds.... but then.... after i got them, they were over rated. i prefer red with freckles now.
LOL...I had a 93 supra twin turbo too....Onelove on here works for Titan, they have serious crazy bad *** Supras.....he had one of the best Ive seen

My favorite drag car I drove (one of my rich frineds had it) was a 87 GNX with pro fogger. It picked up all the hair band chicks

I even had a profogger on my Polaris Storm snowmobile.....used to drag race it with wheels where the skis went.....talk about shock factor

Then I realized I was wasting all the nitrous on cars / snowmobiles.....when it could be used to enhance a buzz. From that point on all my nitrous went in ballons for inhalation only. thats how you get chicks
Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just one mans perception, I think he knew what reaction it would bring.

GT3's are amazing cars...period.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Before I read the post, I thought it would be a handling complaint, not a power complaint! Coming from M cars, the first time I drove my GT3 I didn't like the way it felt. Once you learn the car, that goes away... Once you really understand the car, it makes you feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Anyways, if the 3.6 GT3 is too slow for you - try my 4.0.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:30 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 372 Posts

I feel a modded GT-R in your future. Lot's of power and anyone can drive it fast

I've owned and driven much faster cars, but for me, the GT3 is by far the most rewarding when driven properly. Exit a corner right and it's just magical. Give the car a chance. Take it to it's natural environment (the track) and wail on it and then decide if it's soft, slow and boring.

Quick Reply: drove a GT3 for the first time.... got let down....with so much expectation going...