MPSC, dead so soon...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:28 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MPSC, dead so soon...

Its official, I have finished my first set of rears MPSC N1 on my .1 gt3. Life? 4 track days, or about 6 hours on track. Am past the wear bars already Quite shocking tbh, I thought I would get at least 6 events out of them. Less than 1000 miles and they were gone.

My times are pretty good, and the car feels really on the limit. G-circle is consistently around 1.0-1.15g for faster corners (80mph-100mph) and 1.15-1.35g for slower (50-65mph). Thereabouts... is it normal that higher-speed corners would generate lower g-limits than slower ones? Or do I need a bigger helping of cojones?

Pressures are 29psi front, 29.5-30psi rear. Set up is 2.2 camber all around

I also have a "mystery misfire". Two incidents at my last TD where there was "hesitation" in the higher rev-range in both 2nd and 4th gear. In 4th it was less noticeable, in 2nd it was very noticeable (torque cut-off). Happened once in each gear. It was late into the final session so I retired the car. Was almost sure its a misfire, but DME check revealed no fault at all. Am confused.

Am putting on new rears today, keeping old fronts.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Life? 4 track days, or about 6 hours on track. Am past the wear bars already
I don't run the MPSC's but I have seen them on track and spoken to the users often enough to know the tire pretty well, but just assume all is hearsay :-)

As you point out, driving style and laptimes have a lot to do with wear.

Past the wear bars does not mean they are finished unless you use them as a rain tire or it is illigal to drive them on the street.
Since you don't mention chunking or cords, I think the tire still has some life in it as that is usually when the locals change the tires. I would think 4-6 track days is all you can get out of a set of rears and that goes for pretty much all rear tires on a hard driven GT3(RS)

The misfire I never had, check battery connection? Definately not normal.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:35 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

lets see a picture of them tires.....

alas, it is true.... track days eat MPSC along with your wallet.

Run them to the cords!!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:40 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ahhh I am loathe to run them to the cords, am already quite wary of the snap oversteer and they were starting to give up on me last Thursday. At Yas Marina, with the walls oh-so-close, I just couldn't see myself committing to another day...

No pics I'm afraid, tires are already gone...

Am thinking if I'm only getting a few track days may as well go to Trofeos and get better laptimes for the same mileage...
Old 12-19-2011, 03:51 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

maybe time to try the MPSS.....

i just installed a set.... will wait and see how long they last on the track this summer....
Old 12-19-2011, 03:56 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My road set are MPSS. I have tried them at the track.. They are about 3s a lap slower than MPSC, easily, and I needed a bit of set-up adjustment to get the front end to turn in properly...,
Old 12-19-2011, 07:45 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Running the MPSC's past the wear bars does not require running them to the cords. I've run the tires exclusively on the track now and regularly get 4+ DE's out of them. Well aware that driving styles differ,but, you can get MORE time out of that tire. Ultimately, I find the it to be the best 19" R compound tire we have.

My two cents...
Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Running the MPSC's past the wear bars does not require running them to the cords. I've run the tires exclusively on the track now and regularly get 4+ DE's out of them. Well aware that driving styles differ,but, you can get MORE time out of that tire. Ultimately, I find the it to be the best 19" R compound tire we have.

My two cents...
It is a very good tire and the car seems to like it - the suspension/power/weight/chassis seems to be in harmony with that kind of rubber, particularly at the track, and definitely on the .1 chassis.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I don't run the MPSC's but I have seen them on track and spoken to the users often enough to know the tire pretty well, but just assume all is hearsay :-)

As you point out, driving style and laptimes have a lot to do with wear.

Past the wear bars does not mean they are finished unless you use them as a rain tire or it is illigal to drive them on the street.
Since you don't mention chunking or cords, I think the tire still has some life in it as that is usually when the locals change the tires. I would think 4-6 track days is all you can get out of a set of rears and that goes for pretty much all rear tires on a hard driven GT3(RS)

The misfire I never had, check battery connection? Definately not normal.
Pete, you made reference to chunking... What exactly is that? This is the state of my MPSCs after my most recent couple of track days... Apart from the melting of the front right (heaps of high speed left turns on a hot day... pressures were probably a little too high at 33/36 hot) are there any signs of chunking??? They are at just above TWIs... Plan to run a couple more days on them....
Attached Images     

Last edited by 911rox; 12-19-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
Its official, I have finished my first set of rears MPSC N1 on my .1 gt3. Life? 4 track days, or about 6 hours on track. Am past the wear bars already Quite shocking tbh, I thought I would get at least 6 events out of them. Less than 1000 miles and they were gone.

My times are pretty good, and the car feels really on the limit. G-circle is consistently around 1.0-1.15g for faster corners (80mph-100mph) and 1.15-1.35g for slower (50-65mph). Thereabouts... is it normal that higher-speed corners would generate lower g-limits than slower ones? Or do I need a bigger helping of cojones?

Pressures are 29psi front, 29.5-30psi rear. Set up is 2.2 camber all around

I also have a "mystery misfire". Two incidents at my last TD where there was "hesitation" in the higher rev-range in both 2nd and 4th gear. In 4th it was less noticeable, in 2nd it was very noticeable (torque cut-off). Happened once in each gear. It was late into the final session so I retired the car. Was almost sure its a misfire, but DME check revealed no fault at all. Am confused.

Am putting on new rears today, keeping old fronts.
I have had my car throw a cel, misfire at the track a few times

The only time it does it is when I use 91 octane
Old 12-19-2011, 09:42 AM
jp175
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mix 91 with 98. 50/50 ratio and problem is solved.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jp175
Mix 91 with 98. 50/50 ratio and problem is solved.

Every time I do that I forget to stop the 98 and fill up with it

I'll stick with going to the gas station
Old 12-19-2011, 11:38 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Izzone
Every time I do that I forget to stop the 98 and fill up with it

I'll stick with going to the gas station
The gas station here supposedly has 98

However, in this particular area of the country, I filled up 98 that has a reputation for not being 98.

I always thought it was BS.

Maybe its not.

But the lack of DME record is what is odd.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I just switched over to MPSC. I've been running Toyo R888's for the last 2 years. The Toyo's last 4 track days and they are at the wear bars on the fronts and past the wear bars on the rear. Also the R888's have heat cycled out at that point too. I can stretch them for another DE day.

I'm hoping I can justify the extra cost of the MPSC and get a few more DE's out of them than the R888. I can tell you that when the R888 are new and in there 1-5th heat cycle they are faster than MPSC by a 1-2 seconds.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Pete, you made reference to chunking... What exactly is that? This is the state of my MPSCs after my most recent couple of track days... Apart from the melting of the front right (heaps of high speed left turns on a hot day... pressures were probably a little too high at 33/36 hot) are there any signs of chunking??? They are at just above TWIs... Plan to run a couple more days on them....
Those look perfect to me.
I've seen them chunk on the inside where the cords are showing and big pieces of rubber go missing while the rest of the tirs still had more thread than in your pics. Not sure why it was like that, but that car was driven HARD
by Grady WillinghamBone stock, even the regular seats and a 3 point I believe '10 GT3 at Sebring posting faster laps then me, his first trip back to Sebring in 10 years.

Quick Reply: MPSC, dead so soon...