Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

1 Year Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:47 AM
David911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1 Year Anniversary

Today is the 1 year anniversary of owning my 2008 GT3. I picked it up last year with approximately 3,000 miles on the clock. I now have 24,000 miles on it. As you might guess, it is my daily driver

My only upgrade, so far, has been the installation of a satellite radio in the small area in front of the gear shift. I needed this as I can’t stand commercials. The car has the base audio, which is not very good, but which I have strangely grown to accept as part of the car’s character.

I have had 3 flat tires (nail, screw, other metal object) resulting in tow’s to the dealership. Not too much of a hastle, since the dealer is walking distance from work, but damn, those tires are expensive (currently PS2s). I replaced the chin spoiler when I replaced the full set of tires.

I have scratched the bumper parking the car ($700), and chipped both rear wheels ($400) also when parking (hard to see the curbs).

Other than these issues, it has been a trouble free car – no dealer visits.

I have done one autocross. I have not taken it to the track yet. I was signed up for a dealer event, but could not get insurance so I chickened out. I will definitely do it soon – I need to experience the full on acceleration where the CHP won’t stop me!

Speaking of which, I have owned sports cars for the last 20 years living in CA. In those 20 years, I was never pulled over. I have been pulled over 3 times in the GT3, resulting in one ticket. I know my driving hasn’t changed, so it must be that the stereotype of a bright yellow sports car is true.

Some random observations:
The most useless device on the car is not the dash wart – I have actually used that to time my commute. The analog speedometer, however, with all the legal speeds crammed into a quarter of the dial, while the actual speed is in large digits below the tach, is completely useless.

I wish the car had come with the Xenon lights – I miss those from my BMW and Mercedes.

I would not have spec’d the car with a sun roof, but I find myself using it more than I ever did in any previous car. Maybe it is to hear the exhaust!

I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I have come to rely on the stupid speed warning device to alert me when I exceed 75 mph. It goes off multiple times each way on my commute. The car really wants to go fast!

Summary:
This is just a fantastic car. It makes me look forward to my long, straight highway commute. I love starting it up, switching to sport mode, and doing a couple of small throttle blips to hear the engine. I love the way the car seems alive once it is switched on. Here is to the next year and next 20,000 miles

Gratuitous Pic attached
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2011, 12:50 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Nice, looks good in black rims.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations and thanks for verbalizing your joy with us. I have same MY GT3 in white.

-totally agree on the analog speedo

-i use the sunroof all the time and would spec all my 911s with one as ultimately they are made for the street cars

-i and others are certain to highly recommend a bypass unit - there is no downside to it other than it's not free. the only thing i can come up with is that it may add additional rattles to your driving experience due to harmonic resonance. otherwise, it's something where you'll never say i want to go back to stock.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very nice. Love that SY!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Proper ownership...good for you!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 AM
sanchezdds
Instructor

That's good to know someone actually puts miles on these cars. That is a beautiful. Enjoy your next 20,000 miles. Cheers!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:31 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Lovely car! My full respect for actually driving it instead of leaving it parked for the next owner.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:00 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Add Content
Old 12-06-2011, 11:09 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Also cheers to the next 20k miles. Always a pleasure to read stories about daily driven 911s. I agree PS2s are pretty pricey.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

Congrats. That mileage is inspiring. I've done 5K in 5 months and have felt guilty on occasion but then I rev out a gear and immediately forget.

You simply MUST track the car. You will gain an entirely new appreciation for her when you do. If insurance is a concern, try Lockton Affinity. They ensure most of the major organizers in CA and have been great with me so far.

Drive; enjoy; smile a lot

Quick Reply: 1 Year Anniversary