Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

rs 4.0 airbox

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
The airbox for the 997.1 GT3/RS is different from the .2 GT's. We have a unit that fits the 7.1 and it's much more reasonable than the Porsche part. Aside from the carbon construction, the 4.0 has conical filters, where as the 3.8 is a flat panel.

For the 3.8's, we'll test the unit to insure better airflow, without having to reflash or set off the CEL, before we bring it to market. We're in discussions with a noted tuner who will actually sell them.

Ours will be sealed.
if you do, please post a before/after dyno of the product... there have been discussions regarding alternate airbox products that lack the support of a dyno run to support their claims ...

your product will sell better with this information...
Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
if you do, please post a before/after dyno of the product... there have been discussions regarding alternate airbox products that lack the support of a dyno run to support their claims ...

your product will sell better with this information...
Absolutely.

Our plan is to develop the intake with testing at Gruppe M. After that, we'll have our retail partner test it as well.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Absolutely.

Our plan is to develop the intake with testing at Gruppe M. After that, we'll have our retail partner test it as well.
terrific ... I think a lot of us/RLers are a bit sceptical of such products without some supporting evidence that hp/torque is not negatively effected ...

I would certainly buy one for my .2 GT3 if that is the case!

will you offer "pretty" CF version "as well" ???
Old 11-14-2011, 02:49 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

terrific ... I think a lot of us/RLers are a bit sceptical of such products without some supporting evidence that hp/torque is not negatively effected ...

I would certainly buy one for my .2 GT3 if that is the case!

will you offer "pretty" CF version "as well" ???
Gruppe M specializes in carbon, so yes. Very nice carbon. But it should function first, look nice second.

You can see examples of the stuff at: www.gruppemusa.com
Old 11-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked Alex at Sharkwerks about intake when he did my conversion....why intake wasn't a part of the 3.9 conversion kit. He said they tried many different modified intake setups for the 3.6 and 3.9L, but all of them sacrificed torque for minimal HP gains on the dyno. If there's an intake set up that doesn't sacrifice torque for HP, show us the data.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:17 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eggorian
I asked Alex at Sharkwerks about intake when he did my conversion....why intake wasn't a part of the 3.9 conversion kit. He said they tried many different modified intake setups for the 3.6 and 3.9L, but all of them sacrificed torque for minimal HP gains on the dyno. If there's an intake set up that doesn't sacrifice torque for HP, show us the data.
We're trying to develop an intake very similar to the 4.0. We need to test it first, but hopefully it won't sacrifice anything. Rest assured, if we can get it to work properly, we'll post data.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:45 AM
YseanY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like it could be promising! hope we get to see it on the market soon!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I have sent a lot of your concerns to our partners in Japan. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I know I am going to regret this... but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepo...ip_with_torque

H.P is related to/derived from torque & rpm...

P = (t * rpm) / 5252

So what I think Alex is saying is that the "shape" of the torque curve from 0-8xxx rpm is different, 'moving' torque from the lower ranges to the upper ranges; thus increasing torque (and thus max bhp) somewhere "north" of 7600 rpm for a loss of torque/hp somewhere lower down...

Old 11-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Did they specifically try a dual intake setup, a-la 3.8 / 4.0 RS? I just doubt that Porsche would use something that doesn't work on their top GT3 models. It's not that easy to test performance back to back because you need to swap decklids.

I am tempted to modify my airbox and lid by adding a second inlet, similar to what Manthey is doing on their high displacement builds.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944
Did they specifically try a dual intake setup, a-la 3.8 / 4.0 RS? I just doubt that Porsche would use something that doesn't work on their top GT3 models. It's not that easy to test performance back to back because you need to swap decklids.

I am tempted to modify my airbox and lid by adding a second inlet, similar to what Manthey is doing on their high displacement builds.
new decklid - ka-ching!

if you go that route you might as well go with a lid that will accept a cup wing etc
Old 11-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Larry, where have you been?? Time to visit the 996 gt3 forum.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Larry, where have you been?? Time to visit the 996 gt3 forum.
996 GT3 forum ... I have heard of that!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

I know I am going to regret this... but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepo...ip_with_torque

H.P is related to/derived from torque & rpm...

P = (t * rpm) / 5252

So what I think Alex is saying is that the "shape" of the torque curve from 0-8xxx rpm is different, 'moving' torque from the lower ranges to the upper ranges; thus increasing torque (and thus max bhp) somewhere "north" of 7600 rpm for a loss of torque/hp somewhere lower down...

That is probably what he said. Initially, I really wanted to open my deck lid and see something under there that said 'NOT OEM'. I don't have that now, but after driving it, it really doesn't matter and is in fact better that it looks OEM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

I'm not sure exactly what Alex tried or didn't try with intakes. I expected intake to be a part of the 3.9 kit. It is not. I expected him to offer different intake setups for GT3 models in general. He does not. Maybe I'm drinking the intake Kool Aid he served me, but I am extremely happy with whatever he did (or didn't do) with my car .....

Quick Reply: rs 4.0 airbox