Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sebring Trying To Following Izzone or Trakcar

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the tyres did give a little warning before they let go, but it's easier to tell from hindsight armchair, than when you are bouncing over bumps.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by p997s123

Show-off
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Been there...you are too inside on 17 and there is a bump there that will get you and just about every car that is on the edge.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 .... After this weekend I can say that I got sideways in every turn but 8 and 9. Ian has ***** of Steel.
I don't know how you instructors do that. I went for a ride with him and left the car after a few laps. Not for me.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Switching from the Cayman to the 996 GT3 has been an eye opener to say the least....I did bead the LR tire on that spin (new Nitto NT01)...pressure was 12 lbs when I checked it in the pits...initially thought the low pressure caused the spin, but as Trakcar said lack of talent (pinching) caused the spin which caused the tire to bead. I did post my best lap AFTER the incident so I'm glad I stuck with it. Thx to Mike K for letting me borrow his extra wheels so that I could finish the day....thankfully without any harm to myself or my car.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:31 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

did you have any issues tracking the cayman? ( oil/engine temps)
the handling was much more neutral, yes?
i suppose the cayman would lose out to the gt3 bigtime at sebring as there's about 5 high-speed sections.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
+1 .... After this weekend I can say that I got sideways in every turn but 8 and 9. Ian has ***** of Steel.
I don't know how you instructors do that. I went for a ride with him and left the car after a few laps. Not for me.
I've had quiet a few students scare the $hit out of me...makes me wonder why I get in the left seat. Even when Chris Hall did the 2:26 on the old Lowley 2009 Carrera S with me in the left seat I had enough after about 2 laps and I totally trust him but I swore we were not going to make it through most all the turns!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Mike, thanks for the video. The driving skills are impressive.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:10 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
did you have any issues tracking the cayman? ( oil/engine temps)
the handling was much more neutral, yes?
i suppose the cayman would lose out to the gt3 bigtime at sebring as there's about 5 high-speed sections.
I developed a small oil leak (RMS?) and had oil ingestion issues on some high G left hand turns. I was behind a cayman R at Sebring and saw the same oil ingestion problem. The brakes on my 08 Cayman S were not in the same league as the gt3's. That being said the car was much easier to drive than the gt3 although I'm not seasoned enough to tell whether the mid engine and/or the PSM were responsible. The bottom line was that I became concerned the cayman was going to fail on the track at some point. Just my opinion.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the longest I have chased Reter...

Old 11-07-2011, 10:21 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

I developed a small oil leak (RMS?) and had oil ingestion issues on some high G left hand turns. I was behind a cayman R at Sebring and saw the same oil ingestion problem. The brakes on my 08 Cayman S were not in the same league as the gt3's. That being said the car was much easier to drive than the gt3 although I'm not seasoned enough to tell whether the mid engine and/or the PSM were responsible. The bottom line was that I became concerned the cayman was going to fail on the track at some point. Just my opinion.
yeah, that is the consensus.
i'm trying to find somebody who will convince me that the cayman is a good track car, but if the latest r version has same issues, then still not right candidate for the job. problem is on-going, always gotta have two cars.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Mike, thanks for the video. The driving skills are impressive.
Thanks...but you talking to me or mkk62..he is Mike also and a heck of an awesome driver. There are some seriously skills guys I track with at Sebring...guy's that have been at it much longer than I have. I started in 2006 and have been on a fast track of learning...and I keep on learning things all the time.

What amazes me is all the track time I have at Sebring and then pro racers show up and do a couple of laps and seem to have the place figured out. I love to go to the 12hr Qualifying and watch from different corners and see guys in the same car but all take a slightly different line.

I show my video and or take lessons from a pro like Chris Hall and I learn a lot...then show my video to someone else and get different suggestions on how to drive....this is very confusing for me....however I believe this is much like when I was taking drum lessons and each teacher or peer drummer has a different idea on how to play the instrument.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:59 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
yeah, that is the consensus.
i'm trying to find somebody who will convince me that the cayman is a good track car, but if the latest r version has same issues, then still not right candidate for the job. problem is on-going, always gotta have two cars.
I was at Homestead this past weekend with my 07 Cayman S. Out of T8 (left hairpin onto the NASCAR back straight), I was getting a cloud of engine oil smoke.

The oil separator gets clogged and ingest oil in the intake. Great chassis, floppy ugly suspension, horrible suspension geometry, weak brakes, crappy transmission, crappy engine, horrible aero.

For the money, the 996 GT3 is a better deal.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I was at Homestead this past weekend with my 07 Cayman S. Out of T8 (left hairpin onto the NASCAR back straight), I was getting a cloud of engine oil smoke.

The oil separator gets clogged and ingest oil in the intake. Great chassis, floppy ugly suspension, horrible suspension geometry, weak brakes, crappy transmission, crappy engine, horrible aero.

For the money, the 996 GT3 is a better deal.
You're NEVER gettin' in my car! LOL
Old 11-07-2011, 11:25 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks...but you talking to me or mkk62..he is Mike also and a heck of an awesome driver. There are some seriously skills guys I track with at Sebring...guy's that have been at it much longer than I have. I started in 2006 and have been on a fast track of learning...and I keep on learning things all the time.

What amazes me is all the track time I have at Sebring and then pro racers show up and do a couple of laps and seem to have the place figured out. I love to go to the 12hr Qualifying and watch from different corners and see guys in the same car but all take a slightly different line.

I show my video and or take lessons from a pro like Chris Hall and I learn a lot...then show my video to someone else and get different suggestions on how to drive....this is very confusing for me....however I believe this is much like when I was taking drum lessons and each teacher or peer drummer has a different idea on how to play the instrument.
It was meant for you, and I do the same thing in that I get input from a lot of people. It is amazing to me how helpful people are at the PCA events and local track days. Is the GTS your daily driver or a dedicated track car? There was a 458 Italia at the track last Friday. The transmission shifts so quickly, it is unreal. When shifting, it sounds very close to a Cup car.

Quick Reply: Sebring Trying To Following Izzone or Trakcar