Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tires Questions....(yes I've already searched the posts :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:29 AM
BlackestGT3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires Questions....(yes I've already searched the posts :)

ok...I see the tires question has been beat to death, but I think there are some new options that haven't been discussed so here it goes...

I just came back from Renn IV (1000 mile roundtrip up the coast!!!) and noticed that the cords on showing on the inside of my stock Pirelli's (2010 GT3) and the fronts have another 40% left in them at 8000 miles total on the car.

I really like the look of the gt3 rs tires because they fill in the wheel well nicer and don't seem stretched to fit the rim. It looks like the sidewall is a little straighter and I'm 99% sure it's the same wheel. So will the 325/30/19 that comes on the RS fit on the GT3? And will the front 245's fit as well? Will the front or rear rub? I can't imagine that 1/2 is going to make a differnce since the stock tires seem too small for the rims anyway. I would get 4 new tires and sell the front Pirelli's used for cheap if anyone wants them.

What would I be giving up by going to the large size? Gaining? I'm not really tracking the car, but do drive it very aggressively.

I had a z06 and tried the Nitto Invo's and loved them..they were 50% quieter than the stock Goodyears and had much much better grip so I was thinking of trying them for 1/2 the price of the Michelin's. The top of the line Bridgestones also look very cool as well and are a lot less.

Southern California is where the car is, so very little rain and not a daily driver so I don't need to worry about water.

Hopefully I can get some answers from people who have tried the different size on their gt3? and if not the size difference, how about the street difference between the brands

or rank them in order?

Thank you!
Brian
Old 10-18-2011, 05:18 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

If you put the 9x19 front wheel of the RS, and using the same wheel as the RS...then go ahead and put the 245 on the front. Otherwise don't.

On the rear stick with the stock size, as the RS size is too tall, and you wouldn't gain much of anything on the GT3's narrower track.

If you are not tracking the car, and or your wheels are stock...then go with the stock sizes...don't screw up your car.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

RS 9x19 front wheels is more outset than your GT3 19" wheel...RS offset 9x19 is et 47 and that is going to stick out past the fender well.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,320 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
If you put the 9x19 front wheel of the RS, and using the same wheel as the RS...then go ahead and put the 245 on the front. Otherwise don't.

On the rear stick with the stock size, as the RS size is too tall, and you wouldn't gain much of anything on the GT3's narrower track.

If you are not tracking the car, and or your wheels are stock...then go with the stock sizes...don't screw up your car.
???
Old 10-18-2011, 02:13 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Originally Posted by LehmanZ06

???
I was confused myself. As mrdrums said, RS wheels won't fit on narrow body, they have different offsets. I don't think the rear of the RS is any taller either, same dimensions other then width.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aero997c2s
I was confused myself. As mrdrums said, RS wheels won't fit on narrow body, they have different offsets. I don't think the rear of the RS is any taller either, same dimensions other then width.
right ... different offset on the rims, 325 should only be approx .5" taller and wider than the 305?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:32 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

3.8 RS wheels fit in NB 2010 GT3.

The trick is to rotate the strut tops to gain 10mm of clearance from tire outside to fender lip, 6mm are consumed by the more aggressive offset, then another 6mm on the additional width (9" compared to stock 8.5"), the end result is a tire just 2mm close to the fender, but this is before you make another adjustment.

The 2nd adjustment is to set the struts fully inboard, then even out the camber, this is another gain of 7mm over the stock alignment setting, where the struts are set for very small camber readings (-1.3 or something around this). Unless you bought the GT3 as a poseur car, the car needs plenty of negative camber.

After the 2nd adjustment, the car has 5mm extra space to fender lip that it did not have stock, despite of running a wider wheel with a more aggressive offset.

The 3rd adjustment (optional): roll the fenders, and gain another 7mm

the 4th adjustment (optional): pull out the fenders (not possible on 4.0RS), another 3mm gain

5th adjustment (optional): switch springs to 2.25" ID and gain another 3mm inside the wheel well.

And this is how a 285/30R18 fits inside the fenders of any 996 or 997 GT3.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I have HRE P40:

F: 9x19ET54
R:12x19ET61

these fit fine with 235 & 305 OE spec tires, haven't (yet) tried wider specs (245, 325) on them ...
Old 10-18-2011, 04:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackestGT3
ok...I see the tires question has been beat to death, but I think there are some new options that haven't been discussed so here it goes...

I just came back from Renn IV (1000 mile roundtrip up the coast!!!) and noticed that the cords on showing on the inside of my stock Pirelli's (2010 GT3) and the fronts have another 40% left in them at 8000 miles total on the car.

I really like the look of the gt3 rs tires because they fill in the wheel well nicer and don't seem stretched to fit the rim. It looks like the sidewall is a little straighter and I'm 99% sure it's the same wheel. So will the 325/30/19 that comes on the RS fit on the GT3? And will the front 245's fit as well? Will the front or rear rub? I can't imagine that 1/2 is going to make a differnce since the stock tires seem too small for the rims anyway. I would get 4 new tires and sell the front Pirelli's used for cheap if anyone wants them.

What would I be giving up by going to the large size? Gaining? I'm not really tracking the car, but do drive it very aggressively.

I had a z06 and tried the Nitto Invo's and loved them..they were 50% quieter than the stock Goodyears and had much much better grip so I was thinking of trying them for 1/2 the price of the Michelin's. The top of the line Bridgestones also look very cool as well and are a lot less.

Southern California is where the car is, so very little rain and not a daily driver so I don't need to worry about water.

Hopefully I can get some answers from people who have tried the different size on their gt3? and if not the size difference, how about the street difference between the brands

or rank them in order?

Thank you!
Brian
Since you don't track the car, stay with the stock tires. As aggressive as you can drive a GT3 in SoCal public roads, you'll be barely using 50% of the car capabilities.

The 3.8RS OEM tires fit your wheels with no other modifications needed. However the taller rear tire will make gearing longer, and the Comfort GT3 gears are already long. Performance gains are negligible, you get better gains by lightening the car, or tuning the ECU and exhaust.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
you assume on a 10" wide front rim? i have 275 on 9" rim and it looks kinda ugly, 285 will be even worse.
btw i asked ccw a question about that and they told me it does not work on my 997 C2 car, go figure why. i always assumed geometrically it should be same with nb gt3 in front.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:29 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
3.8 RS wheels fit in NB 2010 GT3.

5th adjustment (optional): switch springs to 2.25" ID and gain another 3mm inside the wheel well.

I believe you only gain 1/2 of the 3mm by going to 2.25" springs as only 1/2 of the difference between 60mm and 2.25" springs is on the wheel side of the spring - so you gain 1.5mm. But when you are trying to fit a 285/30/18, that inboard 1.5mm is likely critical. A 9.5" rim and a 265/275mm front tire (PSS have these in 19s, RE-11 also have 265/275 in 19s) are another option for the max front tire crowd and will give you the slightest bit more tolerance for fitment.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Basic question: woudn't the Michelin Sport Cup tire size on the GT3 fulfill Brian's purpose?
I have not seen the Pirelli's look but if they're like the PS2, fender is not filled like on the Sport Cups...
Old 10-19-2011, 12:27 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
Basic question: woudn't the Michelin Sport Cup tire size on the GT3 fulfill Brian's purpose?
I have not seen the Pirelli's look but if they're like the PS2, fender is not filled like on the Sport Cups...
To answer the OP question, yes from a looks and fit perspective they will be fine (at least on a mk1) in terms of offset - on the mk1, you at minimum have the 5mm spacer you can remove to play with the rear setup (if a 315 Hoosier R6 fits - that tire will fit). The front, at stock ride height will be fine - I'm running the 245 PSS currently with no problem at all.

Quick Reply: Tires Questions....(yes I've already searched the posts :)