Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dan Wheldon ... RIP

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Horrific news. I hated IRL already. The circumstances around this event make it worse. Rest In Peace Dan!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
... In an oval going 200+ mph three to four wide and touch someone else's wheel then you are done ... along with 5-6 cars behind you. At one time during Dan's crash three cars went airborn in the same time!? There is just no excuse to run these kind of format. ...
Someone I know theorized that oval racing attracts large crowds because these fans view it as their self analog driving 3-abreast on a typical freeway at constant speed. He may be right. Most people behind the wheel have no sense of driving dynamics, consider the throttle pedal as a binary (off/on) pedal and are totally incompetent making turns - just witness the series of crashes when the infamous S-curve was set in the Bay Bridge a year or two ago.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I know what you means when it comes to S curve. People slam on the brakes when there is more than one variable to tackle. Why is oval racing so popular? I think it's because the spectators can see the whole race unfold infront of their eyes vs real road racing such as Laguna Seca where you only see short stretch of the race at a specific location. Much like if NBA game take place over a hilly park and you can only see one basket at a time. But that does not expalin the lack on NSCARS or IRL interest outside of US. Regardless, the LV oval race was a horrible idea. No excuse to allow cars flying aound at 220 mph all packed together. I wonder howmany other IRL venues also have the same danagrous format?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 225 Posts

Mikymu

I saw hat crash on my friends iphone during dinner last evening. Really horrible and sad.

I don't follow IRL much. I have read and heard a few comments on the dangers of LV. What makes that track more dangerous? Is it the width or lack of infield escape options?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2race
Mikymu

I saw hat crash on my friends iphone during dinner last evening. Really horrible and sad.

I don't follow IRL much. I have read and heard a few comments on the dangers of LV. What makes that track more dangerous? Is it the width or lack of infield escape options?
A crowded field 34 cars vs 33 at indi 500, with cars racing two- and three-wide on a fast oval, leaves no room for error
Old 10-17-2011, 09:52 PM
cay187
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he will be missed!
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2011, 12:07 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

RIP Dan,... that's horrific to watch. Just a reminder to appreciate what we've got.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

more bad news for motorsport.
moto gp rider, marco simoncelli, killed at sepang.
horrific accident. bike and rider skidded across the tarmac into the path of edwards and rossi, with the most terrible consequences. RIP
Old 10-24-2011, 03:15 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
more bad news for motorsport.
moto gp rider, marco simoncelli, killed at sepang.
horrific accident. bike and rider skidded across the tarmac into the path of edwards and rossi, with the most terrible consequences. RIP
I was watching the race live...and it happened on just the 2nd lap.

What makes it worse is that Rossi and Simoncelli were good friends...
Old 10-24-2011, 03:33 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

it was sickening to watch, especially edwards standing there, head down, looking at simoncelli lying motionless on the track. these guys will have nightmares for years.

Quick Reply: Dan Wheldon ... RIP