Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3s failures you have experienced since owning

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 02:08 PM
aircavscout
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=NJ-GT;8924783]On the topic of ABS ice mode, leaking slippery coolant or ill handling caused by a bad LSD, there might be interesting consequences.

There is a RING video on Youtube of a GT3 having a coolant failure and subsequently causing a Caymen, BMW and a 4.0 GT3 to have a wreck.. I will look for it again, and try to post...
Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschefahrer
997.2 RS, then 9 months old and 10.000km:

- Muffler had cracks, replaced under warranty during race check
- Airbag warning light on; reason: faulty seat-belt fastener, exchanged under warranty
- windows sometimes don't close properly (left & right window), will always close at second try. Not fixed as it doesn't bother me too much and occurs only rarely

Apart from that: I just have to refill fuel and oil, sometimes change brake fluids & tires and have loads of fun! LOVE the car!!!
Hi Porschefahrer

The windows issue sounds very familiar to me

On my car it was that the window would drop for opening and then would not return to fully closed when the door was shut, I too found it quirky but lived with it.

For me in the end it was actually an early indicator that the battery was failing, the Porsche dealer was not aware of this phenomenon either and it wasn't until the battery actually finally died and was replaced that the issue went away.

It is also possible to reset the limits on the window by lowering all the way an holding the paddle down for 2 secs and then closing all the way holding the paddle up until you hear a beep.

That said this did not fix my issue until the battery was replaced.

Back to main topic - failures

1) Hubs replaced long before the most recent recall as the first cars original CL torque settings were too low and was revised at the same time my rear hubs had an issue - 2 weeks without car

2) Left Bank Cam shaft counter balance failure, two other Australian customers had the same issue, this manifest itself by a rattle on start up and shut down and then quickly generated an engine failure indicator. 6 weeks without car as this was initially an unseen issue then I believe several were identified and a global factory solution was implemented - the 997.2 was the first with both inlet and exhaust variable valve timing - so much for being a pioneer...

3) front control module which brought about the trunk/bonnet/luggage compartment (I think I covered all descriptions) open indicator randomly which may seem minor, but....
you could lock the car and walk away and randomly (read that as after midnight or at the most inconvenient time) set off this indicator which in turn activated the alarm system. did not endear itself to my wife with that one! same day fix

4) 2x exhaust actuators - resolved by fitting Akrapovic race exhaust

5) not a failure as such but I have taken the pre-emptive step of pinning the entire coolant system during recent, clutch PP LWFW upgrade

that all being true every drive is a pleasure and the smile begins when I open the garage door and stays with me until the door closes again.

Last edited by modoz61; 05-22-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: forgot one item
Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Link for Ring crash with 4.0 due to leading Porsche with coolant failure

Old 05-23-2013, 04:19 AM
almeena58
Racer

window at passenger side when closing will stop at mid then open until I close step by step, changed under warranty.

compartment switch at the front changed under warranty.
rear wheel bearings changed under warranty.
new sit of PS2 changed from my budget
Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Originally Posted by almeena58
window at passenger side when closing will stop at mid then open until I close step by step, changed under warranty.
Mine does this, it take about 3-4 presses to close it sometimes, and then other times it will close in a single hit. What did they do to fix it?

Other issues for me (all unresolved):

Drivers sport adaptive seat has a rock in the frame.
Tacho when the car is warm at idle shows about 200rpm
Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 AM
almeena58
Racer

Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
Mine does this, it take about 3-4 presses to close it sometimes, and then other times it will close in a single hit. What did they do to fix it?

Other issues for me (all unresolved):

Drivers sport adaptive seat has a rock in the frame.
Tacho when the car is warm at idle shows about 200rpm
for the window they changed the motor I think under warranty, however I faced this issue since 1st day owning the car when new and I highlighted this long ago and they claim it is very sensitive to dust so for safety it will thing something blocking it.

but when I brought for check up to renew warranty they called me saying they will replace right window motor and front trunk bla bla under warranty and I said go ahead.

I have cloth bucket seats so no issues at all
Old 05-23-2013, 09:05 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely nothing....

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3s failures you have experienced since owning