Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3s failures you have experienced since owning

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:32 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I am among the biggest critics regarding, the poor choice of LSD materials, the coolant fittings, the rear toe links, the PASM and electronics in the newer cars, the idiotic CLs, and the other compromises that Porsche was / is doing for profit etc.

The ABS issue and RMS issues don't quite fit here.
The ABS issue is a general issue, affecting all cars/manufacturers that have a street non-adjustable ABS units from Bosch or equivalent.
And all manufacturers should consider fitting an adjustable one at least in a car that has a chance to see the track with semi slick tyres.

The GT3 RMS issue is more of an inherited trade-off from the type of engine design and apparently affected more the 7.1 series (with the changes in crankcase pressure) than the 996 mk1 or mk2 cars and so far looks fixed in the 7.2 cars with the case redesigned.

About the letters, I am with you. Perhaps they can help.

But Rad, seriously now. Whatever you want say, you are losing points with your choice of words and by comparing the Yugo!, Kia! and the 479 TSBs Cayenne! with the most reliable - track ready - sportscar ever created.

All IMO of course.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
ok let me see.. your next post will be "buy a ferrari , it's more reliable"..

please..

+1
Old 10-06-2011, 01:39 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by almeena58
6. Right side window will stop in the middle when closing as it assume smoothing is blocking it and again they said it is very sensitive and no replacement.
^ this, plus:

Clutch slave cylinder failed in under 15,000 miles, causing clutch to be replaced (of course, no warranty on clutch).
Old 10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
madbobo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gosh, I have just replaced the engine in my 997.1 (long story) but they did tell me that the slave cylinder was out and needded replacement. Should the clutch be replaced as well?
I have not replaced the clutch Just the slave cylinder. Could I need a clutch replacement?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

so much for bproof
Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 PM
madbobo
3rd Gear

utkinpol what is a IMS failure? as I have just changed my engine which is 8K km old...
Old 10-06-2011, 02:50 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My 997.1 GT3 RS developed 2 oil leaks during my ownership, and 3 more by previous owner (Mooty boy).

My first oil leak developed at the track, I was running a POC event at Streets of Willow and dealing with a loose rear end during the day. My fault? very likely, because I'm supposed to check my car for oil leaks before and after every track session, not just rely on a tech inspection, or Porsche reputation for quality. When I switched to my race wheels/tires (after practice), I noticed oil splashes on the driver's side wheel and fender well, probably from running a mostly left turns track (SOW CCW) while leaking oil. Car got fixed under warranty.

2nd oil leak was too bad, to the point of not being able to drive the car. Brought the car to Werks II (Galen is one of the best Porsche experts on the West Coast), Galen and Timo gave me the same diagnose: crankcase porosity, I need a new engine. Car was under warranty. Getting the engine rebuilt (with new crankcase, due to lack of engines in inventory) was not an easy task to get done under warranty. My Porsche dealer (Porsche of Downtown L.A., best Porsche service in L.A.) went to the extends of fighting for me, but I was losing the battle.

I had to replace my Sharkwerks center muffler bypass pipes, because on the eyes of the magnificent regional rep, my bypass pipes caused the leak, a leak that was coming from the crankcase itself, not the RMS. Ultimately, I made my phone calls to PCNA, several of them as follow up, ultimately told them that I have paid a shop to inspect the engine, and I was about to pick up my car, remove the engine, get two more diagnoses from two other shops, showing a manufacturing defect, and that I was going to buy a brand new engine and put it in my car, then introduce a lawsuit for all the costs incurred, and get it resolved this way. Next day I get a phone call from Porsche of Downtown L.A. indicating the engine will be covered under warranty, the technician that rebuilt it is a great guy (Mikey) he did a very good job.

I had a commitment to buy a White 2009 GT2 and canceled it. I would not bring my money to PCNA if they run this type of business.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
So you've extrapolated that GT3's are inherently unreliable on a sampling of 7? I'd be more curious to ask the same question on the 996 GT3 boards as there is more history and miles to work with.

The LSD to me is part of the cost of tracking the car like tires and brakes. A quick Guard rebuild seems to solve that weakness. The coolant problem on the other hand I think is a serious issue and sadly won't be addressed until someone is hurt. The CL's...well if we could get one of our forum members to actually discuss the one known incident, we could have an idea whether it's a real problem or user error.

Every car I've tracked has had weaknesses that needed to be addressed to make it reliable. I see that as an inherent issue when tracking a car built for the street. So you consider spending maybe $5K to fix the problems above on a car of this price unacceptable to make it track worthy? That's less than some spend on a second set of wheels/tires.

- one of the blind
Sum up my 996 GT3 and 997.1 GT3 RS, make it 9 and be prepared for more as people steps up and talk. I'm not going to go through the due diligence to search the old threads and add cars with major issues to what seems to be a small sample.

Personally, the LSD doesn't bother me, easy fix. But a car leaking engine oil, or leaking coolant which is as slippery as oil, that's a liability. Coolant leaks, easy and not cheap fix. Engine oil leak, a lottery, just a matter of time when it happens to the wrong people at the wrong time.

I like the GT3 a lot, I just don't like the way the design problems don't get fixed, and the tricky ways the blame is sent back to customers.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:03 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
no one wants to to do crap. i tried to pursuade people to send email/letters about IMS issues on M96/m97 motors - nope, as usual only reaction you get is 'prove first if it really brakes'. geeez...

those gt3 issues are fixable, IMS failure means full engine kaput and minimum of $20K bill if you are lucky to get new motor if PCNA will find a reason to deny your warranty claim (what it does with great success).

Originally Posted by madbobo
utkinpol what is a IMS failure? as I have just changed my engine which is 8K km old...
IMS & GT3 ? :

Search==
threads titles==
keyword: IMS

996-997 forum: 167 threads

996GT3 - 997GT3 forums: zero threads

Old 10-06-2011, 03:17 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Sum up my 996 GT3 and 997.1 GT3 RS, make it 9 and be prepared for more as people steps up and talk. I'm not going to go through the due diligence to search the old threads and add cars with major issues to what seems to be a small sample.

Personally, the LSD doesn't bother me, easy fix. But a car leaking engine oil, or leaking coolant which is as slippery as oil, that's a liability. Coolant leaks, easy and not cheap fix. Engine oil leak, a lottery, just a matter of time when it happens to the wrong people at the wrong time.

I like the GT3 a lot, I just don't like the way the design problems don't get fixed, and the tricky ways the blame is sent back to customers.
I hate to say it but Rad is turning into a Troll. In 45000 miles of 996/GT3/GT2/GT3 ownership never changed an RMS, Coolent fitting, Brake Ice mode twice which was self induced with wrong sized tires did have to change an oil pressed sensor. All cars have issues even Fiats and I guess I am going to have to Troll the Fiat boards to find out what they have.

Peter
Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,347 Posts
Default after 4 GT3's ..

996.1 CS: blew a couple of cooling hoses at Bedford Autodrome, subject to recall and replaced

996.2: nada

997.1: zilch

997.2: zip

my point being; regardless of generation, I have not experienced any significant issues...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 10-06-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: to highlight On Topic feedback :)
Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 PM
almeena58
Racer

We need to just list all issues related to your 997.2 GT3s and not if the car is reliable or not or 997.1 or earlier models just to stay within the thread subject

Thank you all
Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,347 Posts

too late I think, that horse has already bolted the stable...
Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by almeena58
We need to just list all issues related to your 997.2 GT3s and not if the car is reliable or not or 997.1 or earlier models just to stay within the thread subject

Thank you all
If you're not aware, the 997.2 GT3 3.8 has way too many common parts with the 997.1 GT3 and 996 GT3.

Most 997.2 GT3 3.8 have very low miles, some are still sitting on showrooms. Parts that failed in the previous generation car are likely to fail in the current car, unless Porsche has fixed them.

There is already one RMS leak report for a 3.8 GT3, but many for the 997.1 and 996 GT3.

The coolant fittings were not fixed in the 3.8 GT3, so add heat and driving miles, and expect the usual consequence.

LSD is the same part as the 997.1 GT3 and GT3 RS so don't expect a long lasting part in the 997.2 GT3 3.8.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

2004 996 GT3, bought new, sold at 38,000 miles:

- 2 RMS leaks
- 3 diffs
- 3 clutches.
- First RMS at 32,000 miles and I thought the car was immune to RMS leaks. - 2nd RMS leak at 34,000 miles.
- First coolant loss and almost a major accident, 22,000 miles.
- Bended front drop links under 5,000 miles.
- Badly cracked front rotors in 2 track days and less than 120 minutes.
- New transmission under warranty from Porsche.
- Cracked front LCA bushing, driver's side.
- Replaced leaking oil line under warranty.
- Non working reverse light fixed under warranty.
- license plate light not working, fixed under warranty
- replaced rear subframe due to worn out alignment holes

Other that this a very reliable car, no ABS ice mode despite of multiple sizes of tires/wheels used in 4 years. My co-driver experienced ice mode once, and I don't recall this to be an issue. I miss how fun this car was.

My 997.1 GT3 RS: bought used, sold with 24,000 miles

- 5 RMS leaks.
- ABS ice mode quite often on bumpy tracks and flat autocrosses, despite of trying different pads, brake fluid, tire sizes.
- engine rebuilt under warranty
- LSD worn out, no biggie

Other than this a very reliable car. More reliable than the 996 GT3. I miss the look of this car, best looking ever Porsche 911.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3s failures you have experienced since owning