ALMS - Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Thanks! I wouldn't try my heel/toe technique unless yours isn't working.. it seems like nobody does it, lol!

Here's the video from Sunday's race. Started on Gold class pole, Madison got by me into T3, then I got back by him in T11 on the first lap. Stayed that way until about the 52:00 minute mark in the video when all hell broke loose on a restart and the driver side rear of my car was damaged. Eduardo and I had a great little battle for a few corners until the full course yellow came out at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yczMlCmRv2I

-mike
Mike

Thanks for the video! The view out of your window is a bit over exposed. What kind of camera system did you use?

What a race. So your left rear suspension got knock out at T11 on restart?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Mike

Thanks for the video! The view out of your window is a bit over exposed. What kind of camera system did you use?

What a race. So your left rear suspension got knock out at T11 on restart?
It's a standard def Chasecam DIVA setup. I just had it installed before this event and I'm slightly disappointed in it. The sound quality isn't very good and the video quality is horrible (and I have it on the highest setting). It also doesn't appear to integrate with the Motec for data overlay rite now, apparently it's coming out in another revision or something. I'm wishing I had just gone with a GoPro and put a piece of tape on my steering wheel to remind me to turn it on/off.

Ya, the driver side rear suspension, bumper (was hanging half off), and wheel were mangled at the restart. At first I thought I had a tire going down which is why I tip-toed through T2 and I could tell something was bent going into 3 which is why Madison got such a good run on me into T5.. I think when Eduardo hit me again in the same spot in T5 it slightly straightened the car back out (or it just got me really fired up).

-mike
Old 09-20-2011, 02:31 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's a standard def Chasecam DIVA setup. I just had it installed before this event and I'm slightly disappointed in it. The sound quality isn't very good and the video quality is horrible (and I have it on the highest setting). It also doesn't appear to integrate with the Motec for data overlay rite now, apparently it's coming out in another revision or something. I'm wishing I had just gone with a GoPro and put a piece of tape on my steering wheel to remind me to turn it on/off.

Ya, the driver side rear suspension, bumper (was hanging half off), and wheel were mangled at the restart. At first I thought I had a tire going down which is why I tip-toed through T2 and I could tell something was bent going into 3 which is why Madison got such a good run on me into T5.. I think when Eduardo hit me again in the same spot in T5 it slightly straightened the car back out (or it just got me really fired up).

-mike
Finding the right camera setup is more challenging than any mod on the Cup car. I just use my Sony camcorder for video but it's havy and I have to manually turn it on and off. I may give Race-Keepr a try http://www.race-keeper.com/

So you got hit at T11 on restart? I can't tell by the video and it looks like you hit a bump or something. Man, that hit did alot of damage. Good thing is that these BBS wheels can be easily repaired with bolt on lips. What's up with Ed hitting you not once ... but twice? Did he win anything for the stunt?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm curious why you think the URC cars are suicide machines? Did you look at the construction of the chassis? Underneath the aluminum honeycomb monocoque is a cro-Moly frame. Unlike the originals the driver does not sit within two fuel tanks. The cars of yore held 80 gallons of fuel. These do not. The fuel cell resides in the left pod. The right side is mostly electronics. Both sides have substantial crush material outboard of the frame sandwiched between the aluminum honeycomb.

There are numerous other safety features that the untrained eye will not pick up on. They are works of art. Were you able to look at the uprights, bell housing, nose box, etc. Very impressive.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:08 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Finding the right camera setup is more challenging than any mod on the Cup car. I just use my Sony camcorder for video but it's havy and I have to manually turn it on and off. I may give Race-Keepr a try http://www.race-keeper.com/

So you got hit at T11 on restart? I can't tell by the video and it looks like you hit a bump or something. Man, that hit did alot of damage. Good thing is that these BBS wheels can be easily repaired with bolt on lips. What's up with Ed hitting you not once ... but twice? Did he win anything for the stunt?
I think the first contact was an accident.. when everyone checks up on corner exit of a race bad stuff is bound to happen. The second one, I'm not sure about.. I think he was just being really aggressive. After the race I talked with a few people and that kind of stuff seems normal (which is probably why neither of us was penalized). The only thing he won was the position.. because after I repassed him I was told by race control to give the position back, lol.

-mike
Old 09-20-2011, 03:20 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the first contact was an accident.. when everyone checks up on corner exit of a race bad stuff is bound to happen. The second one, I'm not sure about.. I think he was just being really aggressive. After the race I talked with a few people and that kind of stuff seems normal (which is probably why neither of us was penalized). The only thing he won was the position.. because after I repassed him I was told by race control to give the position back, lol.

-mike
OK, race incidents ... that's why I can not afford racing at this time.

Why did you ahve to give back the position???
Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim Webb
I'm curious why you think the URC cars are suicide machines? Did you look at the construction of the chassis? Underneath the aluminum honeycomb monocoque is a cro-Moly frame. Unlike the originals the driver does not sit within two fuel tanks. The cars of yore held 80 gallons of fuel. These do not. The fuel cell resides in the left pod. The right side is mostly electronics. Both sides have substantial crush material outboard of the frame sandwiched between the aluminum honeycomb.

There are numerous other safety features that the untrained eye will not pick up on. They are works of art. Were you able to look at the uprights, bell housing, nose box, etc. Very impressive.
Yes, the construction is very imprssive but the fact that the fuel cell sit right next to you without a fire wall divide will make anyone's hair stand up
Old 09-20-2011, 03:44 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

OK, race incidents ... that's why I can not afford racing at this time.

Why did you ahve to give back the position???
The told me I passed under yellow. After the race I was like WTF, I didn't pass anyone under yellow.. so I checked the video to verify, and then went to talk to the IMSA Steward. He explained to me that under IMSA rules when he calls for a full course yellow, the course is technically yellow even if the corner workers aren't showing the flags yet. Apparently he had called for it during the few seconds Eduardo was ahead of me between the exit of T6 and the exit of the corkscrew where I repassed him. There were no yellows visible on track until T11 (maybe T10 but it's hard to tell in the video). Either way, kinda unlucky.. but rules are rules-- even if they're dumb. :-)

edit: that's the first time i've ever had contact in a race.. don't worry about it in the local club races, we don't race that way mikymu!

-mike
Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mikymu,

Not to belabor the point, if you need a firewall then you have eliminated virtually all formula (open wheeled race cars) and sports racers. Most racing sanctioning bodies require a fuel cell encased in a metal enclosure. Firewalls are an added benefit but not a nessecity.

Your point is taken...though.

Quick Reply: ALMS - Laguna Seca