Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thoughts on Agency Power Roll Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:14 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Thoughts on Agency Power Roll Bar?

I'm really only looking for the ability to strap the harnesses in. It uses the seat belt mounting points to connect, so it's a simple bolt in install.

I like the idea of being able to remove the cross sections if I ever want to haul something back there (tire/wheel/dead hooker).

Thoughts? See any potential problems with this design? It's more or less a copy of the OEM tequipment bar from what I can tell.

I can get it at a better price than list. And in yellow of course

http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/...o-p-74008.html
Old 09-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe the the way filmed but in the video it looks like the rollbar goes right next to the headrest with seats back. You are not a tall driver so you will not have seat all way back on track or more importantly street. For someone that needs to put seat back all the way, this would not be good on street if indeed it is next to headrest.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:30 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Here are some pics from a couple threads on 6speed. See if looks any better in these. As usual, Dan from Vivid gets himself into hot water and there's some drama, so it's a good read anyway

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...-roll-bar.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...d-try-fit.html
Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Did you look at the bars that RSS has? RSS bars are really nice.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:43 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I like the idea of the removable cross bars. The RSS is always top notch stuff though.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:12 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the RSS roll bars it's the one for me. When you look at it in the car you see NO joints, bolts nothing. Looks like one solid unit.
The bolts are at the floor (no seatbelt attachment stuff) and rear extensions to the shock towers.
I had the OEM bars and hated it. Creeked like a childs swing set.

Ranger
Old 09-14-2011, 02:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

I have OEM bar, no rattle, no squeek. I know other RS with same OEM bars and none rattles or squeek.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:43 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My oem clubsport does not squeak

I have never seen the agency power one but have seen several GMG and RSS ones....
Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If the intent is to just have harnesses (and assuming the hoop is NOT anywhere near your head in case of an accident on street). Then the Agency Power one would be fine. You get what you pay for. It is NOT a rollbar, it is a harness bar. The single bolt protection seat belt mounting is just under in strength the way most tuners install a Factory RS rollbar bolted through the paper thin floor This is the thinest sheet metal used in the entire structure of the car. In a rollover IF the cars integrity fails, both of these units would provide almost no additional safety. Without mounting the front legs to some part of the frame or some strong mounting plates mounted to the frame, you should not fool yourself into a false sense of security. You have a place to mount your harnesses. That is all you should expect.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:23 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
If the intent is to just have harnesses (and assuming the hoop is NOT anywhere near your head in case of an accident on street). Then the Agency Power one would be fine. You get what you pay for. It is NOT a rollbar, it is a harness bar. The single bolt protection seat belt mounting is just under in strength the way most tuners install a Factory RS rollbar bolted through the paper thin floor This is the thinest sheet metal used in the entire structure of the car. In a rollover IF the cars integrity fails, both of these units would provide almost no additional safety. Without mounting the front legs to some part of the frame or some strong mounting plates mounted to the frame, you should not fool yourself into a false sense of security. You have a place to mount your harnesses. That is all you should expect.
+1! This exact same thing was said to me at Champion Motorsport. There is not much added benefit to these bars in terms of safety

The RSS bars fit great, and it's reasonably priced.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Bob and I had a longtalk about bars...unfortuantly this was after I had my RSS 928 bar bolted into the tub. I was all excited about my new bolt in RSS bar and Bob pointed out it's flaws and how it is basically crap thin metal on the tub floor where it bolts to.

Anyway all these so called roll bars are just glorified harness bars...all of them. The RSS 928 and the OEM Club Sport both drill and bolt into the tub floor area and seem like the real way to do this but I learned like Bob points out that this is no stronger than bolting it to the seat belt points.

Oh well live and learn....only if I could do it all over again.

Last edited by mdrums; 09-15-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Dog, I've been thinking about your bar choice today while driving around N and S Carolina...I bet the Agency rar is going to rattle. Especially after you remove the center bar a few times. It won't be that easy to unbolt and bolt it back in as these things usually are tight with some stress on them.

Seriously rethink thisand check out the RSS 930 bar that simply bolts to rear shock towers and front seat belt bolts. RSS bars are really well made and finished with no extra bolts and and less chance of rattles.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
True, but if its done right with welded in floor plates and bolted through, then its much safer.

99.999% its better to have something than nothing imo. One thing we should never cut corners on is safety....thats why i went with a full welded in 6 point cage.

But for most a bar is better than no bar ALL DAY LONG.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Mobonic, true it must be a little safer but lots of us don't have the choice for a full cage in a street car.
What I've been told is that where these bars like the RSS 928 and OEM CS bars bolt into the tub floor that this is a weak point and in a roll over the bar will just punch through the floor where it is bolted or welded in place.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:14 AM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does not have the removable cross-members but with respect to safety this is from the DAS website:
"All DAS Sport roll bars are constructed of seamless DOM (drawn over mandrel) 1.75” X .120” mild steel tubing, which meets PCA and SCCA specifications. Unique to the design is the point of contact with the chassis. Unlike other roll bars, which merely bolt to the floor and could allow the footpads to “punch through” in the event of an accident the DAS Sport roll bars contact the structural “box sections” placing loads on the stress bearing members of the chassis. The harness bar height conforms to NHRA specifications ensuring that the shoulder harnesses function properly in the event of an accident. It is design features such as this that make DAS Sport roll bars the choice of safety conscious drivers."

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Agency Power Roll Bar?