Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lexus LFA beats the GT2 RS at the Nurburgring. 7:14 lap.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Richie18
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Another pointless mfg bs ring thread. Sport Auto got 7:38 out of a production LFA. Until they get another production one to test and do better, it is all bs.
This is a different model altogether, its like comparing a GT3 to an RS. The fact they named in the NRing Edition was just to show their focus on where it was tuned for maximum performance.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:14 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Link to the lap time video:

Old 09-07-2011, 05:48 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
This sounds suspicious on its face; wouldn't the GT2RS still have superior power:weight, even over the ligtened Lexus? Is the tranny that much of an advantage?
I think so, compare the acceleration times of a Turbo S vs GT2 RS.
Not sure how much time you lose per shift, but it definitely makes a significant difference. Multiply that by the amount shifts per lap at the Ring, and the GT2 RS PDK will surely trounce that lap time.

Last edited by TurboS; 09-07-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

From the Lexus Website:

On August 31st 2011, Lexus undertook a performance check with the Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package, a two-seater supercar, at the Nürburgring (Rhineland-Pfalz, Germany).

Scheduled for production in 2012, the LFA Nürburgring Package has been optimized to deliver higher performance on the track, with a number of modifications made to the standard LFA. The LFA Nürburgring package is included in the limited 500 production run of the LFA.

The Nürburgring package includes a carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) front spoiler and fixed rear wing to enhance aerodynamic performance. The LFA Nürburgring Package also comes with track tuned suspension and custom wheels to improve maneuverability and stability. Compared to the standard LFA’s output of 412 kW (560 PS), the output of the LFA Nürburgring package has been raised to 420 kW (571 PS).

On the Nürburgring Nordschliefe (North Loop), where the LFA was extensively developed, professional race driver and LFA test driver, Akira Iida recorded a lap time of just 7:14.64. The tires used during the performance evaluation were Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tires which are the standard road legal specification for this LFA.

Dr. Schmidt , the COO of the Nürburgring Automotive GmbH stated “For us, it is always very special when a car is developed to meet the needs of the Nürburgring-Nordschleife. It shows us that the Nordschleife still is of particular importance for the automotive industry and that it still radiates a tremendous fascination. Lexus met the challenge Nordschleife by developing the Lexus LFA Nürburgring package. The lap time driven demonstrates impressively that Lexus have done an excellent job in matching the challenges of the track with the needs of an exclusive sports car. This is an outstanding result for Lexus and a reassurance of the excellent work done. We are very delighted by this”.

Haruhiko Tanahashi, LFA Chief Engineer stated “Since 2004 in the spring and summer of every year we have conducted development tests for the LFA at Nürburgring Nordschleife. The LFA Nürburgring package is the compilation of our extensive testing programme and we have appreciated the opportunities to utilise the Nürburgring Nordschleife to strengthen and develop the LFA into the vehicle it is today. The development team’s obsession, Iida-san’s concentration and good course conditions all led to achieving this record”.

Commenting on the result Iida-san said “We are delighted with this achievement. Our ongoing development of the LFA and our recent outings at the Nürburgring 24h race have enabled us to continued to tune the vehicle. The result with the LFA Nürburgring package shows the cars ultimate performance and agility. This is a first activity of its type for Lexus and the constant effort of the team has brought this fantastic result”.

The Lexus LFA supercar was first shown at the 41st Tokyo motorshow. The development took place over a period of ten years and was an indispensable step for Lexus, and its future models. The first model of the new generation Lexus, the new GS shows the new direction for the brand in terms of bold, dynamic styling, precise handling and innovative technology. The full hybrid GS 450h will be shown for the first time at Frankfurt motorshow on the 13th September.

Link here ==> http://www.lexus-global.com/en/headlines/news/110907_a/
Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm surprised by how narrow minded some posters are against anything non Porsche and probably comes from those who have never tested or driven anything else.
The LFA is the opposite end of the GTR. Its an awesome car. Any test driver who has driven one (and knows how to drive like C Harris) has loved it, but stock one due to weight and full street tires doesnt post impressive numbers.
The N Ring edition is their no compromise attempt and apparently is a pretty good car. However numbers are not everything and although "slower" around the NRing I will still pick a 430 Scud (and even maybe a 458) over the GT3 RS iteration. It's sooo much better driver's car (and not bc of the "nannies". All systems off the Scud feels more analog than the GT3 or GT2)
Old 09-07-2011, 09:12 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
I'm surprised by how narrow minded some posters are against anything non Porsche and probably comes from those who have never tested or driven anything else.
The LFA is the opposite end of the GTR. Its an awesome car. Any test driver who has driven one (and knows how to drive like C Harris) has loved it, but stock one due to weight and full street tires doesnt post impressive numbers.
The N Ring edition is their no compromise attempt and apparently is a pretty good car. However numbers are not everything and although "slower" around the NRing I will still pick a 430 Scud (and even maybe a 458) over the GT3 RS iteration. It's sooo much better driver's car (and not bc of the "nannies". All systems off the Scud feels more analog than the GT3 or GT2)
+1.

Except I've driven the GT-R on a number of occasions and racetracks and I can assure you that it is an incredible machine. Much more exciting than a 997TT for example...
Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
+2

thx
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

it's still a lexus. a very, very, expensive one at that.
anybody say, 'mothra'?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:47 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
it's still a lexus. a very, very, expensive one at that.
anybody say, 'mothra'?
I don't get it. Do you pay more for a Porsche because it's a Porsche or because of the way it drives?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a very expensive and very quick jap car... impressive supercar indeed. I prefer slower less expensive German cars.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

this lexus is us$750k over here.
that amount of money would buy a carrera gt and a new rs.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

this car may be a technological marvel, but it doesn't impress me at all. i've seen it on display and on track.
lexus cars are all anodyne. they are great for going to the mall. they should stick to that, instead of spending millions testing at the ring.
now what, their sedans and wagons are now sportier because of an association with the lfa?
porsche have been racing since their inception. that's what you are paying for.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:40 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

for the ones that don't know him, cgomez drove my 996 GT3, he had a 997S, a 997GT2 and a Fully-Prep Cayman S race car, and now rolling in a 2011 GT3 Cup. He has driven the Nurburgring many times, and he's hardly a Ferrari guy.

...but he saw the light when he drove the Scuderia, and you don't need to ask him what's his favorite street/track-day car.

F458? no, I can't add 400 lbs to my fun driving experience. I will wait for the Challenge Stradale v3.0
Old 09-08-2011, 01:23 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie18
This is a different model altogether, its like comparing a GT3 to an RS. The fact they named in the NRing Edition was just to show their focus on where it was tuned for maximum performance.
Blah...Blah...Blah. Toyota previously put up video of their pre-production LFA standard edition doing 7:24. Von Saurma could only get 7:38 out of a production one. There is actual history here of this mfg giving inflated claims. Bottom line, still mfg bs until an independent source can do it in a production car. It is just like those GTR ads in every mag posting their 7:24 when Von Saurma only got 7:36. He did get a 7:22 out of a GT2 RS, which was a lot closer to the manufacturer's claims than anything tested out of the GM, Nissan or Toyota camps. BTW, Von Saurma ran the same 7:45 in a 997.1 GT3 RS as he did in a 997.1 GT3, more of a styling exercise than more performance. This is not being Porsche prejudice, just realistic that the final product may be less than what they boast.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM
perrew
Instructor

Still they only build 50cars, so why not compare it to say the Gumbert or something with similar production numbers?

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA beats the GT2 RS at the Nurburgring. 7:14 lap.