Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ultimate VTG engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbywu
5000 RPM in 6th gear puts you just shy of 160 mph into turn 1?!?
Actually it was a speedo indicated 17xmph. No idea what the rpms were, at that speed glancing at the digital readout while rapidly approaching the brakezone is dicey at best.

T5 is even crazier since it's a downhill corner. I only truly ran out 6th a few times.

Canada Corner is crazy for a different reason- After the Kink the two left hand bends connect together for one big sweeper and the brake zone is ridiculously short for the speed you can attain.

But yes, all three areas should be solid 6th gear pushes in my car.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GT
Let me chip in here as well if I may. Nick you are right about what you say above but you can't achieve ignition timing over toby's engine without the expansion intake that cools the air significantly at high rpm. This is the inherent weakness of vtg technology thhat p tried to address and now has this intake on all turbo models including then the .2 turbo and 2 rs.
So the compromise at the end is simple. Do you get better results with turbo intake, more boost, less ignition timing, more fuel or with expansion intake were you sacrifice boost but get 10-15 degrees colder air and thus can use 25+ degrees ignition and run much leaner lambda? Before my tune I also thought by listening to everyone (except sported and apparently Pierre Ofsky and few other race teams) that the 1st option was the way to go. But after seeing how much power we got in the top end in my engine when the expansion intake does it's thing and power goes crazy with less boost but more ignition I think that maybe they were right. The feeling is that you get a turbo engine with huge torque build up from around 3k to 5.5k then power flattens until 6.5 and then it feels like an n/a engine making more and more power until the sad reality of the rev limiter hits at 7.8k lol! If we could rev to 8k + this setup would make more and more power for sure. (not advised without changing the variable valve mechanism).
I am not up to speed on the temp differential between using VTG turbos and the GT2 style expansion intake manifold, so I can't comment on that. It stands to reason, even if it's a faulty conclusion, that by spinning the turbos up to higher boost to compensate for the manifold would, by nature, also increase temps in and by itself, but to what extent I can't comment on. There is no free lunch, so to speak.

I need to try some runs with 18 ambient to see what happens compared to Toby s ultimate vtg build that went with option 1 to evaluate really what happens. At 10 ambient the data were quite good in mine but need to try in more difficult conditions now.
When I get my car back the temps will be in the 60s here (around 15C give or take a few). In the upper midwest, we also switch fuels in the fall to "winter" blend which is less refined due to lower temps, so again, for data it may not be relevant.

The thing is that champion will not attempt to tune your car with the gt2 intake in my understanding as they don't believe in what I mentioned above for 700 real hp possible with the expansion intake.
But it's difficult to tune and required experience.
Understood what you are implying. However, even with the stock long block (3.6l) they achieved quite a good set of power output numbers- on 93 octane (premium street gas) 500ft/lbs torque from about 3700rpm through to factory redline, peaking at 5800rpm at 575ft/lbs (data from Dynojet chassis dyno). If you extrapolate that data you should see well over 650hp at the wheels (actual is 678whp). So we are well past the 700bhp mark already, assuming frictional losses are more than 20 odd bhp. Keep in mind, although I didn't mention it before, I had placed a power output number of 675whp goal to them for my car, which serendipitously equalled what they thought the OEM rods could handle. What we didn't expect was at slightly elevated output the shortblock would be the issue!

The issue with most US tuners is that they don't tune for power, they tune for numbers- ie. a simple max output for simpletons to quote to their friends. There were only two "shops" I was going to take a car to in the USA (both have extensive motorsports backgrounds, one significantly more than the other though), and that depended upon where I was at the time, since they are on opposite coasts. I won't do hackjobs like removing MAFs or going to conventional turbos.

---
edit- Please note, like I said before, I am not a tuner, shop, or engineer here. So I completely erred when I earlier commented on larger EXHAUST housings on the VTGs. They are larger COMPRESSOR housings. Quite a big difference, sorry!

Last edited by Nick Wong; 09-10-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: faulty facts
Old 09-10-2011, 12:50 PM
GT
Instructor

Mod500 are you referring to Toby's car? Did you drive it?
I like your description above. It perfectly describes my (and probably many other's around here) addiction for this experience that makes us throw so much time and ££ to recreate lol!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:15 AM
MOD500
Racer

GT, yes I drove the 3.9 leviathan last weekend on Her Majesty's highways.

The seat time was an enlightening experience
Old 09-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, what a fantastic and truly inspirational thread!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:58 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

I want to be like TB993TT when I grow up.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:20 PM
997 tt/rs
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

perfect car, this is what I call tuning.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:49 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys,

1311PS/1711NM of RS Tuning's finest

Old 09-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

what an awesome combination. I truly miss my 993tt...
Old 09-20-2011, 12:57 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

TB, congratulations on your build. It sounds truly remarkable. I am curious though...has your new toy taken the fun out of driving your old, aircooled beast?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:36 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro911
TB, congratulations on your build. It sounds truly remarkable. I am curious though...has your new toy taken the fun out of driving your old, aircooled beast?
yes
Old 10-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Update-

The motor is back together and is going back in over the next week or so. I'm going to test it at PBIR when it's complete before it goes back home so I should have some preliminary data.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:05 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Update-

The motor is back together and is going back in over the next week or so. I'm going to test it at PBIR when it's complete before it goes back home so I should have some preliminary data.
Excellent news

As well as acceleration data I am particularly interested in logs for the following Durametric parameters:

rpm
kph
boost press kpa
ambient temp
IAT
MAF kg/hr
ignition timing
lamda 1
lambda 2
throttle position %

We can learn loads from the above data about how the engine is working under what loadings...
Old 11-04-2011, 07:03 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Enjoyed a day at the airstrip earlier in the week in beautiful weather, low wind and 14degC.
There were a few 996 turbos on hand in various stage of tune with componentry from well known US tuners so I was very interested to evaluate what these cars were like.

All the 996tts had manual boost controls and various types of hybrid turbos, the one in the video below is a manual and I believe had K24/20Gs and it had that big shiny intake piping, the owner said it had rods and had 800hp at full boost....

I passengered in this 996 and can report it had a nice dollop of torque between about 4000 and 5XXXrpm, it felt strong and I understand that it can run the sort of acceleration numbers which appear to indicate certainly 650+ real hp....

The really interesting bit which I was here for was the element which no performance box or number data can really tell you and anecdotes flourish about how responsive various engines are and how they spool early and have full boost by 3500rpm etc - this element of an engine is for me the most important one as it dominates the driving experience and it was the raison d'etre of my 3.9 l RS engine build to have the VTG response experience....

Checkout the video below. It looks like I am getting the drop on the black 996tt (ie hitting my throttle before him) when we both go WOT (3rd gear in vid) but I'm not and we did this a few times in different gears. The 996tt was in his sweet spot rev wise (~4000rpm).
The results are quite startling and a great visual representation of how Porsche has moved the game forward with VTGs.

Once on boost the black 996tt actually kept up reasonably well and the 20 odd metres which the VTG response intially gave was no more than 30m once we hit 190-200mph....

Old 11-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Freak997tt
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On same day a 722ps 997gt2 (that is engine dyno'd Porsche power) did 14.6 second 200-300kph.

Built engine with custom vtgs and u ran 14's?... stock engine with Old modded vtgs on tip car ran 200-300 in 14-15sec.

U.S tuners used 997tt manifold on
997 GT2 with bolt on GT30 kit made high 800rwhp
997 GT2 with bolt on A30 kit made mid to high 800rwhp
997 GT2 modded vtgs made 670rwhp
997 GT2 built 3.8l w/GT35 made +1200rwhp

Quick Reply: Ultimate VTG engines