Cheers,
Emre
Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toby

600 hp i think or Max 650 hp. E85 helps alot for ign timing retards

Same for the straight pipe for back pressure.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Hi Toby,

This graph belongs to your car?

Which mods?

Cheers,
Emre
Hey Emre
Didn't realize you were Whightknight on here - you have been here for a long time

I can't remember at what stage this graph was done,I'm not even sure what the bottom scale is, it sure isn't time (I must have been having a dumb moment) - I was just trying to illustrate that most of the heating up occurs 5th gear onwards, I have other graphs, I'll try dig one out.

Here is a pic for you

Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
Toby

600 hp i think or Max 650 hp. E85 helps alot for ign timing retards

Same for the straight pipe for back pressure.
Yes I heard that about E85, it is good for keeping knocking at bay - that is a very stout package you have there
Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Max timing all the time. Around 20 degres
Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 AM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew there was a thread here about VTG's-- good to see our expert VTG man Nick Wong in action here.Perhaps you can share the secret of your VTG's 840 Rear Wheel HP here Nick and how it was achieved. All these guys will need your automotive expertise to assist them--I am sure many will be interested--perhaps some here will have the expertise to understand!!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:55 AM
K24F
3rd Gear

Hi Red9, if someone puts TRUE 840hp to the wheels, about 1000hp to the crank with Vtgs I'm ok to offer him the Champagne!
Seriously, even TRUE 840 at the crank with race gas seems too much...
Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Nomak
Advanced

Toby

Isn't that ESMOTOR intake manifold?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I follow this thread when I can, had turbo cars built of every kind for years. Really interesting the problems that you guys are running at with VTGs. No one here using Precision or HTA turbos with billet wheels to replace the VTGs ?
Funny that all those High HP built Porsches are not using Ethanol at least for 5 years plus ... The benefits are so clear, specially if you're having heat problems with intake charge.

I use ethanol myself since the mid 90s
Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Pete
I totally got it wrong (blaming language barrier) about the VTG units being used in the Mission 400 car or being used with vanes 'open'..... they have been using K24 based items.

Here is a pic for enthusiasts and I believe a first on the forums ? a poster's twin turbo engine on an engine dyno getting some proper tuning, problem is doing things this accurately tends to reveal many problems which your 8 second chassis dyno 4th gear runs will not

this is the real deal...
Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

The main problem with running conventional turbos on a VTG engine is the electronics are set up to control the boost via the VTG vanes and accurate boost control is the essence of factory like tuning.

Up until now there have not been any solutions other than fixed boost or external boost controllers or piggyback electronic add ons. RS have built engines using other electronics like Bosch MS 4 but they do not consider this good enough for a street engine.

The plan is to utilise the latest wastegate technology and use the VTG vane actuator signal to accurately control the electrical wastegate so the 997 electronics inc all TC/PSM systems work flawlessly.

Here is some blurb from Mahle.

Electrical Waste Gate Actuator

The Mahle Electrical Waste Gate Actuator offers complete control of the waste gate position INDEPENDENT of the engine's boost pressure. This in turn enables higher accuracy of the waste gate position control, a significant reduction of the waste gate leakage rate, a reduction of boost pressure at base levels, and an improvement in over all fuel consumption as a result of a reduction of engine pumping losses. When compared to existing Pneumatic Waste Gate Actuators for exhaust gas turbo chargers which are boost pressure controlled, Mahle's new innovative EGW offers exceptionally fast actuation speed and high precision control, allowing for greater optimization of the exhaust gas and charge cycle that has been achievable to date.

With better engine performance (max torque, max power), improved engine transient behavior and not significant system cost increases to the OEM, Mahle's new Electrical Waste Gate Actuator is an important "Game Changer" that will be boosting turbo charged engines for years to come.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 AM
tripleblack
Racer

Toby, that's a great pic of the engine dyno. Would you mind sharing more info on the Mahle waste gate actuator? In particular, what is being used as the controller and how is it being done? Cheers.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tripleblack
Toby, that's a great pic of the engine dyno. Would you mind sharing more info on the Mahle waste gate actuator? In particular, what is being used as the controller and how is it being done? Cheers.
I can't add very much I'm afraid but I understand that this is new tech whose cleverness is working in the harsh environment near the turbocgarger.

I understood that the principle was to use the signal which makes the VTG actuator arm move to control the movement of the wastegate so in theory it is simple as that signal is there to control boost originally by changing the angle of the vanes and now by trimming the wastegate.

Pic and more blurb on the Mahle unit below.

They also showed me a picture of a new unit developed for/by BMW and I think that is the one they will use.

During the discussions he used a word which was translated as "elegant" as he referred to the workings/benifits of the EWG.

http://www.mahle.com/MI/home.nsf/Cur...en&iframe=true
Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Cheers. That's fascinating. I suspect that like most great ideas, it is going seem painfully obvious after the fact.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Red9
I knew there was a thread here about VTG's-- good to see our expert VTG man Nick Wong in action here.Perhaps you can share the secret of your VTG's 840 Rear Wheel HP here Nick and how it was achieved. All these guys will need your automotive expertise to assist them--I am sure many will be interested--perhaps some here will have the expertise to understand!!
You are on at 6speed, go ask Champion, they are the experts.

I am no expert, don't know crap about Porsches, just happen to own one. I have NEVER used those words to describe myself although I have seen some truly moronic posts by people who think they are experts. They should put their money where their mouths are and open a firm to offer their services and expertise since they know so much.

If you think I am wrong or need to prove something to you, whatever, it doesn't matter to me. I'm not here to sell anything and I have nothing to prove to anyone. I don't design parts, make parts, or plagiarize designs by buying parts under false pretenses to reverse engineer aka copy like others here. Quite frankly, it's your problem not mine. If I say "xx" and you say "let me be clear, you said xx" I would call that doubting what is factual to me and requiring proof. I have no time for people calling me a liar, so if you want proof, go to the people who sell the parts and certify the performance yourself. Asking me how it makes power is stupid, all I did was write the check when the options were presented to me. Buy or don't buy stuff from TPC, AWD, Orbit, Champion, A.W.E., GMG, BBi, Vivid, EvomsIT, RSTuning or whomever, it's your money, take ownership of your own decisions.

Quick Reply: Ultimate VTG engines