Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Took delivery of .2 RS in April...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:48 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Took delivery of .2 RS in April...

After much to'ing and fro'ing in November and December, I was finally able to procure the last allocation in the US for a .2 RS build slot before they went out of production. I wanted to order a car because if I were going to be paying new money, I wanted the car exactly to my spec (and most cars on the lots had things I didn't want like PCCB) and I wanted a fairly rare color combo in blue/gold.

At any rate, the car arrived in Connecticut at the end of March and my first test was to fly out there and drive it for a weekend before shipping it home. I had sold both my 996 Turbo track car and my 997 Turbo street car, so this car was going to serve both purposes. All I hoped was that I would like the car on the street, because I knew already I would love it on the track. Well, even though I was keeping the RPMs under 4000, I already fell in love with the car that weekend on the street. I found some wonderful country roads driving all over Connecticut and eastern New York and instantly knew I had made the right decision. The car was an absolute blast, and I hadn't even opened it up yet. By the end of the weekend I was at 600 miles so I decided to take it up to redline a couple times. At 150mph on a deserted highway I could really feel the downforce - it felt like a giant hand from above was reaching down and pressing the car to the pavement. I'd never experienced that before. It didn't have the crazy shove of my modded Turbo, but the sound was glorious and the instant throttle response more than made up for it. Beaming, I flew home and waited an agonizing 10 days or so for the car to be shipped.

Back home and with the car in hand and already broken in, it was time to take it to the track. The car received some gifts in the form of a Sharkwerks bypass (now the sound was glorious squared), Savvyboy's GMG roll bar, harnesses and an alignment. A few days later I was hitting the tarmac. It didn't take long to realize this car had so much more potential than my 996TT did. Understeer was comparatively erased. Grip was markedly better. Turn-in much crisper. And the car could take more throttle - much more. The Turbo's power had to be kept in check and too much throttle would just cause the car to push. But with the RS I could keep the throttle buried and it would just grip, grip, grip. The tighter or trickier off-camber turns that the Turbo would struggle with were a breeze. I was immediately faster despite giving up significant power and torque. And I was just learning...

With the brutal summer the car hasn't been on track for a few months, but I am eagerly awaiting the start of the season next week. Overall I am just thrilled with the car. It handily outperforms the 996TT at the track (and is more fun while doing it), and it's far more enjoyable to drive on the street than the 997TT was. This one is a keeper....

Here are a few pictures. Since I was rolling a street car and a track car into one, I kept some of the amenities I liked from my 997 (deviated stitching, NAV, fancy trim, etc).

Old 09-05-2011, 04:51 PM
nash
Racer

Also thumbs up to Porsche of Fairfield, I really enjoyed working with them. I knew they were my kind of guys when the car already had clear side markers installed before I arrived without any prompting from me. The salesman said they don't allow cars to be delivered with the ugly orange ones. Great!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:32 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn sweet car!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:34 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

a very hearty congrats!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:55 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! Love that color combo.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 PM
jp175
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely beautiful! Glad to see it in the track too!!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:43 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

amazing!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Pablobravo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No sport chrono wart..... nicely done !
Old 09-05-2011, 07:11 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Love the combo! Congrats!

I have been thinking about the same license plate for my car for a while now
Old 09-05-2011, 07:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Blue and gold, red accents, full leather, no bad options. You did good, what a beauty.
My compliments
Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

beautiful!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Gorgeous car, that's the color I thought I was going to get when I started looking
Old 09-05-2011, 08:20 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

the best blue combo
Old 09-05-2011, 10:00 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

Love the car! Awesome!

I just moved to the DFW area and can't wait to take my GT3 on the track. There's a PCA event in Cresson (Motorsports Ranch) on the 24th and 25th that I signed up for. Any other events/tracks you recommend?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 PM
nash
Racer

Thanks everyone, I do love the blue and gold. It receives lots of compliments on the color combo. The metallic blue goes really well with the metallic gold accents.

Kyrocks - I instruct for The Driver's Edge and Apex Driving Academy. Both are great outfits. Driver's Edge goes to MSR Cresson, Texas World Speedway, MSR Houston, and sometimes Eagles Canyon and Harris Hill Road. Those are two day events. Apex are one day events at MSR Cresson. www.thedriversedge.net and www.apexdrivingacademy.com if you want to check them out. If you sign up for any of their events, definitely let me know.

I know PCA does a lot of events at Eagles Canyon and sometimes goes to Cresson. I personally really like Cresson (also a member out there). ECR is not my favorite. TWS is a blast, well worth the drive for a weekend (about 200 miles).

Love the red 3.8 - that was what I would have purchased had I not been able to get an RS!

Quick Reply: Took delivery of .2 RS in April...