Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Recommend an easy set-up lap timer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GT3
Thanks for the help--already downloaded Harry's App, and liking the AIM product so far. BTW, MDrums, nice kit--DW, Zildjian, new heads--sweet. I have a DW set, now just need to practice more.
LOL...anyother drummer on here!

I worked for DW for 12 years...I work for Zildjian now and Mapex drums.....long story!

DW's are awesome. If you ever have any questions let me know.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:53 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Almost bought the AIM Solo last week from Jerry (seems like a great guy), but found a well-priced used Traqmate locally at the last minute.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ble-399-a.html
Old 08-29-2011, 11:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I use racechrono:

http://www.mh-motorsports.com/rc_pro_obdkey.shtml

I've been pretty happy with it. Everything is pretty much wireless. OBDII interface is bluetooth.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:02 AM
Coleco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
If you have an Android based phone, try Trackmaster.
+1
Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 AM
David Schacht
Instructor

I have a full data system in my race car and the most important feature is the predictive lap function. A lap timer tells you how you did, predictive tells you how you are doing and will help you improve more than anything else.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

aim solo "Track Recognition - SOLO includes a list of the world’s main track GPS coordinates. At power up, the internal GPS in the SOLO provides a location and loads the configuration for the track you are on."

thank GOD. someone finally used their brain. i have to get one.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:59 PM
docdan
Instructor

I've been using the Racelogic Performance Box for approximately 4 years now. It's as simple to hook up as connecting a radar detector. It's pretty accurate and the read out is surprisingly easy to see. The analytical software that comes with it is very useful and it helped me decrease my lap times. However, even though the software is effective at what it does, I think it could stand to be a little bit more user friendly.

Overally, I'm very happy with the Performance Box and plan on upgrading to the Racelogic Video Vbox next.

Dan
Old 08-31-2011, 11:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

aim solo "Track Recognition - SOLO includes a list of the world’s main track GPS coordinates. At power up, the internal GPS in the SOLO provides a location and loads the configuration for the track you are on."

thank GOD. someone finally used their brain. i have to get one.
Genius. THAT makes me wonder what else it can make much easier for my track data / FLATOUT video merging and uploading...
Old 08-31-2011, 11:24 PM
docdan
Instructor

Although I've never used one, it would seem to me that the Aim Solo is a better product than the Performance Box that I have.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:40 PM
DocMartin9
4th Gear

CMS Lap timer iPhone app worked well last time out. Just gave lap times and max speed but you can't beat the price.

It is free.

I have not tried the Pro version which is $15. I plan on trying Harry's next.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David Schacht
I have a full data system in my race car and the most important feature is the predictive lap function. A lap timer tells you how you did, predictive tells you how you are doing and will help you improve more than anything else.
AIM Solo has that.

I v been using a Performance Box for over a year and I recently switched to an AIM Solo. Never looking back at the performance box!

AIM Solo is a lot more user friendly, can work for hours on a single charge (no need to plug it in!), you get great GPS reception without an external antenna (performance box really is bad in some cars if you don't use the antenna) so no cable clutter. It also automatically stops your session as soon as you drive into the pitlane and come to a halt (performance box must be shut off for it to close your file), and then you immediately get a nice overview screen containing your 3 fastest laps, total distance and time driven etc. No need to upload a .dat file with start and splits each time you go to a different track since it can store them all at once and autodetect what track you are on. Also has support for splits if you configure them yourself in the software first. Predictive laptiming is also supported. And personally I find the analysis software of AIM a lot better than the Performance box one

Not to mention the fact that the unit looks a lot more "sexy" installed in the car compared to this bulky old-school box.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:50 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

For those advising to use Harry's laptimer Pro, do not forget that unless you jailbreak your phone the GPS gives you only a 1 Hz accuracy, even with the TomTom holder!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:50 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
LOL...anyother drummer on here!

I worked for DW for 12 years...I work for Zildjian now and Mapex drums.....long story!

DW's are awesome. If you ever have any questions let me know.
And another drummer here
Old 11-27-2011, 07:11 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
AIM Solo has that.

I v been using a Performance Box for over a year and I recently switched to an AIM Solo. Never looking back at the performance box!

AIM Solo is a lot more user friendly, can work for hours on a single charge (no need to plug it in!), you get great GPS reception without an external antenna (performance box really is bad in some cars if you don't use the antenna) so no cable clutter. It also automatically stops your session as soon as you drive into the pitlane and come to a halt (performance box must be shut off for it to close your file), and then you immediately get a nice overview screen containing your 3 fastest laps, total distance and time driven etc. No need to upload a .dat file with start and splits each time you go to a different track since it can store them all at once and autodetect what track you are on. Also has support for splits if you configure them yourself in the software first. Predictive laptiming is also supported. And personally I find the analysis software of AIM a lot better than the Performance box one

Not to mention the fact that the unit looks a lot more "sexy" installed in the car compared to this bulky old-school box.
I'd agree with you on the Perf/DriftBox software and hardware. I am using it and love it, esp the predictive function etc. However, the software is annoying, takes a while to master, and using the Box itself is a bit cumbersome. Honestly, I've gotten to the point where I go out on track, and as soon as I hit the start finish I set the lap-start and then skip the rest, then move it to predictive immediately. Once I get home, analyzing different lines through corners is fun and very informative, esp with the delta function. But the software is quite irritating to use.

I wanted to get the AiM solo, but I couldn't get a single vendor to actually sell me one, despite many attempts.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 PM
jbxea1
Advanced

I tried Harry's Lap Timer Pro recently when my PerformanceBox stopped functioning. I was thinking for $20 it would be a great backup while Racelogic attempts to repair the PerformanceBox. The performance was great. I used an iPhone 4, an Emprum GPS ($89) and a Satechi mount ($28). The Emprum GPS gives full 5 hz accuracy without jailbreaking the phone. The app worked exactly as advertised from the first lap. Lap timing functionality was great and video was good except that it only records every other lap. Apparently the next update will support full video capability. Next season I will add a wifi OBD monitor that automatically syncs with the data. Soon there will be a 10 hz GPS available for the iPhone that will make this app even better. This could become my primary datalogger. I have not used the Aim Solo but it looks like a great product. However, Harry is tough to beat for the price.

Quick Reply: Recommend an easy set-up lap timer?