Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How important is proper alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:31 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default How important is proper alignment?

I think I already know the answer to this question...

This is one area where I think I've been falling down on. I have the transmission fluid, brake fluid, and engine oil changed regularly. Have regular inspections of the car before and after track days. But have kind of blown off the alignment end of this. Honestly, I don't really know much about it. I understand toe and camber, but the numbers mean nothing to me.

I think my last alignment was probably 12-14 day track days or about a year ago.

I've had some "stability" issues during that period. Some my fault, some were unexpected.

However, I had an alignment before going to Roebling last week. Car felt much more planted and predictable with hardly any unexpected over steer. Granted it was my first time there so I wasn't going nuts, but the car wasn't surprising me by stepping out like it usually does.

Is this all in my head or is alignment really that big a deal? If I can attribute the predictability of the car last weekend to alignment, then that was the best $150 I've spent on the car yet. It wouldn't seem that a few mm's here and there would make that big of a difference, but it would appear that it does.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:36 AM
kaamacat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not in your head in the slightest.......... A proper alignment, and proper is probably open for much discussion based on a good "track" or "road" setting...........or something, but it is purely amazing how different a car feels (on the good side) when its done right.

(I just had mine re-aligned to factory specs at the dealer when the put on a new set of MPSCs for me, and some items were out of spec by a tad).
Old 08-27-2011, 09:49 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

We couldn't get a measurement on how far out of whack mine was or wasn't, as I was having some torque solutions rear toes links installed at the same time, and they put the links on before putting it on the rack.

http://www.torquesolution.com/

I have a few pics of these links installed. I'm very pleased with the fit and quality. Even came with a rubber boot to cover the joint to keep dirt and grime out.

In the past, I've relied on whomever was running the rack to set the alignment for me. This most recent time I copied the Greeks alignment. He did some research on here and it seemed to work pretty well for a car driven to and from the track.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:55 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

a proper alignment will allow you to maximize the use of the full tire. More tire = more grip.

very additive when you get it right.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:55 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Glad you got this done...FINALLY!....let's see...uh...I TOLD YOU SO! LOL

We should have a blast at Sebring next month.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:32 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What does a good alignment do... hmm..

Well, I can tell you the difference between a BAD alignment and a good one - my car was 2mm toe OUT on each side for 2 track days.

When I fixed it back to toe in, I was almost 10s a lap faster. And the car doesn't feel like its trying to kill you on every corner.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:48 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Glad you got this done...FINALLY!....let's see...uh...I TOLD YOU SO! LOL

We should have a blast at Sebring next month.
I know.... I should have listened to you about 6 months ago. Alignment is just one of those things you can't physically see so I kept blowing it off.

I think I'm going to put myself on a quarterly alignment schedule whether I think the car needs it or not from here on out.

I'm looking forward to Sebring. We're so spoiled having a track like that so close.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:52 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It feels great when your in a well setup car. The biggest impact it had on me was a car that wasn't mine and I didn't even drive.

Last time I was at Sebring and Chris Harris took izzone's car out for one lap and came back in saying the car felt scary on fast right handers. Thought the toe may be out on the right rear and sure enough he was right after 1 lap of driving the car. So having a proper alignment can make a world a difference
Old 08-27-2011, 05:46 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear toe makes huge difference. Driving with different alignment specs, like driving a different car.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:11 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i think you ask how often to repeat it? I do it usually at the beginning of the season, at same time when I put on new set of rubber.when you got all rubber bushings off your suspension alignment numbers do not change much unless you bended anything. plus, alignment is only $150 so it is not a big deal, really.

much more important matter is to check condition of front member and subframe bolts and make sure nothing got loose there.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

The difference is huge !!!

I really couldn't drive my car out of alignment. Tried to kill me twice, at the same session, instead of once every day at the track

jk ... the difference is really huge. I used to check alignment before every track event.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:15 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
The difference is huge !!!

I really couldn't drive my car out of alignment. Tried to kill me twice, at the same session, instead of once every day at the track

jk ... the difference is really huge. I used to check alignment before every track event.
Eddie, you do a string alignment?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:22 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Mike, I don't.

I would tell you to bring to Rodger, as he would be the perfect guy for it.
I would be glad to help you in case you need anything.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:25 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

I run 2.5 up front, 1.7 in rear on R888, but man, it wore out my tires much faster than on my C2S. Thinking of taking it back to 1.5 or 1.7 all around for a good balance of street/track.

Thoughts from anyone?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

Front or rear or both? What toe?

Quick Reply: How important is proper alignment?