997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How important is proper alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011 | 01:47 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

It would be either 1.5 all around. Toe is 0 front, 2mm IN rear.

Honestly, I am trying to figure out my suspension. Peter, actually got done reading your ride height threads. There is no rake at all on my car. Level ride height all around. Looks off, and is driving me nuts
Old 08-30-2011 | 01:56 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I have same toe. Do all 4 tires wear more then before? Then it is just wear...

I don't know R888, but the fronts should not wear much, I've always run -2.5 front on both GT3's and both Hoosiers and RA1's. Thye seem to last forever at least 3:1, maybe more they just heat cycle out and get slower, but no cords.

The rears will wear inside no matter what, I run -1.7 rear but need -2.5 with Hoosiers.
Go back to stock ride height, maybe 5-10mm lower all around and stock rake for Sebring. IMHO, you need the compliance and you can work the weight of the car better.

Change it from there if you don't like it. Did you corner balance it?
Old 08-30-2011 | 02:02 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

For a race car, like a cup, we get alignments done before each event....it's that important. Each track has a baseline setup. We tweak throughout the weekend to dial it in. Setup is critical.
Old 08-30-2011 | 02:03 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Yea, the rears wore out quick as hell. Randy will chime in here probably to again remind me of how much R888's suck.

The car was lowered 15 mm when I purchased it. I had a local shop raise it 8mm, but was not corner balanced. Car was not corner balanced. Also havent checked sway bar settings. I am literally at the point of going to Orbit, and just having them set it up before Sept 17th.
Old 08-30-2011 | 02:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Randy would be right.

At what track did you wear out the tires? First set? How many days at Sebring, what laptimes?

You must do it first thing feeling out the new car, start neutral, I think -2 Front and -1.5 could be OK, but try and look at how the tires wear and adjust camber if needed. I just use the sway bars to adjust for wearing tires if you feel the need to get sweaty. You might be chasing wrong setup, you just don't know.

Orbit is great, but any race shop working on 911's should be able to set it back to factory ride height -5/10mm and corner balance it, I think. Then again he could put the LSD in there and you'd be all set
Old 08-30-2011 | 04:18 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by The Greek
It would be either 1.5 all around. Toe is 0 front, 2mm IN rear.

Honestly, I am trying to figure out my suspension. Peter, actually got done reading your ride height threads. There is no rake at all on my car. Level ride height all around. Looks off, and is driving me nuts
Nick, I'll give u a call later on alignment options

Your quick tire wear is puzzling

Roebling does eat front left tires
Old 08-30-2011 | 09:13 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

If I'm already getting a thorough tech inspection done on a lift (nut and bolt everything), it only takes a little more time to move it over to the alignment rack and do a verification of settings before each event. Cheap insurance IMO.
Old 08-30-2011 | 09:29 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
Nick, I'll give u a call later on alignment options

Your quick tire wear is puzzling

Roebling does eat front left tires
His tire wear isn't as puzzling as you'd think. Yes, he did run the inside close to the wear bars after two days. However, it was pretty much a free for all at RR where could you drive as much as you felt like. I know I personally did like 6 or 7 twenty five min sessions the only day I was there. I suspect Nick did as much or more each day giving rides, etc, except he did it over the course of 2 days instead of the one I did. I have his tires in my garage now. They look normal for the type of abuse they went through. Flipping the rears left to right would be appropriate at this point. I only got 4-5 days on my 888's (including a flip) before they went sour on me so I think his alignment is fine. I ran the same alignment with normal wear for the amount of driving I did on RA's. Double those sessions like he did and I'm sure mine would need to be flipped as well.
Old 08-30-2011 | 09:35 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

DD:
This can be a vexing topic. Now that you have some adjustable and proper bits and only if you are really interested make single changes then test and report, use your TM to get the data. A very easy track exercise is to change swaybar settings and then feel/see what happens. More subtle changes are when you +/- clicks on the dampers. I would not recommend making wholesale adjustment changes wihout first understanding why your car is exhibiting undesirable conditions.

Not an expert at any level but to say suspension setup is a dynamic excercise would be a monumental understatement. Enjoy!
Old 08-30-2011 | 09:37 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Do any of you think we would benefit from a "sticky" thread where we could post alignments related to tires for GT3 models in this section. Might be interesting to have a reference section to share whats working well with what tires so everyone can see it.
Old 08-30-2011 | 09:39 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
DD:
This can be a vexing topic. Now that you have some adjustable and proper bits and only if you are really interested make single changes then test and report, use your TM to get the data. A very easy track exercise is to change swaybar settings and then feel/see what happens. More subtle changes are when you +/- clicks on the dampers. I would not recommend making wholesale adjustment changes wihout first understanding why your car is exhibiting undesirable conditions.

Not an expert at any level but to say suspension setup is a dynamic excercise would be a monumental understatement. Enjoy!
I'm just happy mine isn't oversteering at the drop of a hat. Agreed on the minor adjustments. I'm not even sure where my sway bars are set. Last I spoke to them I think I just said to set everything in the middle. No clicks on my suspension as far as I know. Just a sport or non sport button
Old 08-30-2011 | 09:41 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I agree with you. Dog, stop being cheap, and check your alignment before the events, it can help you stay in the right direction.
Old 08-30-2011 | 09:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Greek you can think of tire wear as sessions or days. I don't know Robeling but for Sebring I get 4 days and/or 13-16...sessions, as in 20-30min track sessions from R888 on the rear. Then the R888 are at the wear bars easy and most likely 1/2 -3/4 heat cycled out. You can still drive them but they are a little more slippery. Also remember that you have to run a lot lower psi with R888 compared to RA1. R888 hot on our cars need to be around 34/35 max and some run them 31-33 hot.
Old 08-30-2011 | 09:44 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

DD, I never drove that much. I only did the scheduled sessions, which were 4 sessions each day for 25 min each. What is puzzling is I have done multiple 2 day events at sebring with R888 on my C2S, and they never wore that fast....
Old 08-30-2011 | 09:45 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Do any of you think we would benefit from a "sticky" thread where we could post alignments related to tires for GT3 models in this section. Might be interesting to have a reference section to share whats working well with what tires so everyone can see it.
Yes that would be a good thread....if you search there is lots of info but it's all over the place and hidden within many pages of long threads.

What's up with the Big Bird avatar?

Quick Reply: How important is proper alignment?