Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone using Akrapovic Sport Cup system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:53 AM
almeena58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
I hear you--Akra is an OEM supplier to the GT2RS and more... but heck, you could buy the effin cup exhaust straight from Porsche Motorsport and come the first inkling of problems you know they'll point to that and cry foul...

Sometimes the dealership themselves don't make the call. When my front lift failed my local guys had to file EVERYTHING with PAG Germany to effect a warranty claim. That included every single mod on the car. You'd bet there's somebody in Zuffenhausen whose job is to review that data and determine if the claim is eligible under warranty... It's unfortunate but that's just the commercial reality. You and I might do the same if it's our business.

My advice is, if the warranty is important to you, don't mess with the exhaust. Or at the minimum, have the upgrade done by a trusted independent and be prepared to swap out everything for original parts if/when you need warranty work performed...
BTW, You Have a very nice Avatar,

i liked your Silver Wheels, it is the best and i really didnt like the Red or black ones. Enjoy in good health
Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Polarcharger, is the torque loss really noticeable or not?
Torque loss below 3,200 RPM could be just in my mind - though the dyno results on the Akrapovic site suggest not. Car revs so fast you're not below 3,200 for long. Similarly the modestly stronger pull above is likely just perceived, but the combination of weight loss and slight torque improvement (perhaps) in usable range makes it a winner.

My car has no A/C, lightweight exhaust, lighter Euro bumper bar, and Wevo motor mounts so I have approx. 92 lbs. off the rear of the car.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:23 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Polarcharger
Torque loss below 3,200 RPM could be just in my mind - though the dyno results on the Akrapovic site suggest not. Car revs so fast you're not below 3,200 for long. Similarly the modestly stronger pull above is likely just perceived, but the combination of weight loss and slight torque improvement (perhaps) in usable range makes it a winner.

My car has no A/C, lightweight exhaust, lighter Euro bumper bar, and Wevo motor mounts so I have approx. 92 lbs. off the rear of the car.
Thanks for the explanation. I know the torque loss is noticeable when your butt dyno is sensitive, I felt it on my last car.

What I was wondering was whether it was a drastic loss or a small loss. I know you don't stay below 3,200 RPMs for long but there are times and you don't have the time to downshift...
Old 09-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Thanks for the explanation. I know the torque loss is noticeable when your butt dyno is sensitive, I felt it on my last car.

What I was wondering was whether it was a drastic loss or a small loss. I know you don't stay below 3,200 RPMs for long but there are times and you don't have the time to downshift...
Check out Mikymu's "Nip/Tuck" write up. One of his options was the Akrapovic Race (essentially Sports Cup connected to Akrapovic headers/cats). Relative to Sports Cup it lost more torque (thanks to free-flowing cats), but he was still positive.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Akrapovic Sport Cup system?