Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

19" Forgeline GA3R centerlocks are here

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I don't have the patience to be on the "bleeding" edge when it comes to new stuff. Wheels or otherwise. I'd let someone else be the guinea pig while they sort out the fitment.

Get the OZ's for now. They're not expensive and they fit. You'll have this car for a while so you'll probably want another set of wheels down the road anyway once forgeline figures it out.

It's kind of funny how everyone is talking about having more tire choices in 19", but now they have no wheel choices.

Sounds like it's 5 bolt in 19" for the win
3pc wheels are not "bleeding edge new stuff" OZ cast are cheap and a possibility but I'm getting a great deal on the Forgelines and they are a great forged race wheel...very strong....
Old 08-04-2011, 01:56 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
3pc wheels are not "bleeding edge new stuff" OZ cast are cheap and a possibility but I'm getting a great deal on the Forgelines and they are a great forged race wheel...very strong....
Duh.... 3 piece wheels have been around forever!

I was referring to someone developing new CL wheels on a relatively new car with unique offsets. I just don't like being the experiment when it comes to offsets and sizing. I went through that with my first set of OZ's. It wasn't fun when I was supposed to be at Daytona in 2 days and the test fit resulted in wheels that would not work due to no clearance with the calipers. Much frustration and several express shipments later the problem was resolved. Kudos to Tire Rack for getting it squared away and got me the right offsets.

You were emphatic when I got my CCW's that they be 9" for proper tire fitment. If I'm reading all this correctly the forgelines are 8.5". Then again I'm barely literate so I may not be reading this correctly
Old 08-04-2011, 02:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Duh.... 3 piece wheels have been around forever!

I was referring to someone developing new CL wheels on a relatively new car with unique offsets. I just don't like being the experiment when it comes to offsets and sizing. I went through that with my first set of OZ's. It wasn't fun when I was supposed to be at Daytona in 2 days and the test fit resulted in wheels that would not work due to no clearance with the calipers. Much frustration and several express shipments later the problem was resolved. Kudos to Tire Rack for getting it squared away and got me the right offsets.

You were emphatic when I got my CCW's that they be 9" for proper tire fitment. If I'm reading all this correctly the forgelines are 8.5". Then again I'm barely literate so I may not be reading this correctly
Yes...I see with CCW doing Center Locks....I agree I don't want to be the test dummy either.

The offset's for my car are no different than a 997 Turbo or Carrera 4S....or GT3 Front Wheels and GT2/3RS or Turbo or Carrera 4S Rear wheels.

Yes I was adiment about a 9x18 because that works best with 245 or 255 tires that we use. A 8.5x19 with a 235 work good but I'd still rather have a 9x19 up front.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Forgeline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David, thanks for this reply....wanna make a set of those new monoblock wheels in 19" center lock...now?

Anyway, I was up till after 2:30am looking at all the video's on Forgeline TV! Wore out today....I know I'm wearing out this wheel thing but it's a big purchase for me and a tight time line as I have a DE in 6 weeks and need wheels on r-comp tires by then...so I need to make up my dang pea-brain by this weekend and get you guys or who ever an order.

I just need to make sure Forgeline understands the offsets I need for a Carrera GTS...which everyone seems not not surestand this cars geometry......

wide body Porsche like a Carrera 4 or Turbo... The GT3 and 2 RS are the same but use wider front offset and have stick on fender flairs...that is why a 9x19 et47 will not work and the wheels stick out.

or you can think of it this way I need Front Wheels that would fit a 2010-2012 GT3 and Rear Wheels that would fit a 2010-2012 Turbo and/or 2010-2012 GT3RS and/or 2011 GT2RS

So according to what Tire Rack sells I could use a 8.5x19 et51 and 12x19 et48 and I see back spacing listed as 8.8x19 is 6.81" and 12x19 is 8.38"...HOWEVER I'd rather have a 9" front wheel to fit the 235/35/19 tire better.

Hope this helps...thanks!
Mike,

A 19x9 with a +51 offset will work with your car with a Michelin or Toyo track tire or virtually any normal street tire. With the Hoosier though, I just don't know. If you can wait another day we are lining up a test fit on a GT3 NB with the 235/35R19 Hoosier tomorrow afternoon here at the shop. I'll let you know what we find out.
Our standard RS fitment is 19x12 +47 which will fit your car with no issues.

President
Forgeline Motorsports
3522 Kettering Blvd.
Dayton, Ohio 45439

http://www.forgeline.com

Facebook Post
Old 08-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Forgeline
It's unfortunate that 3-peice wheels get such a bad rap about leaking. Different manufactures use different methods of sealing and obviously have different results. The sealer we currently use, is ironically the same sealer Porsche uses in the factory for their engine cases. It's very expensive but we have found it to be far superior to anything on the market for adhesion, blowout resistance, and cuts or tears. If one of our wheels leak, it is 99.9% the fault of the tire installer. This sealer will resist most punctures, but if someone takes a metal tire tool and plunges directly into the seal, then there is a chance it will go all the way through. The best prevention is to point out the seal to the shop or guy at the track and let them know it's there.
Just to make a point, we just received an entire set of Viper race wheels in for refurbishing that were manufactured in 1998 that still have their original seals with no leaks. And that is our old silicone sealer.
Our new sealer will also adhere to itself so quick repairs are much easier. (you do not always have to split the rims ) and it dries in as quick as 4 hours. - 12 for a full rim split repair.
There are definitely different advantages to both 1 and 3 piece wheels, I just wanted to make sure everyone was informed about our three piece product.

And for those of you that are strictly sold on one piece wheels stay tuned for the release of our GA1R in 18x9, 18x12 in the next couple of days. 19" is still about 6-8 weeks away. Sneak peak picture of 1st wheel right out of the machine below.

That wheel looks sexy
Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

if you are totally stuck.....come to Orlando and use my GMG wheels for a DE, I have two sets. Just give me a few $$ for used up RA1 rubber

What DE ar eyou doing.....I might come and do it too

I am not sure of your front offset and if mine will work
Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Izzone
if you are totally stuck.....come to Orlando and use my GMG wheels for a DE, I have two sets. Just give me a few $$ for used up RA1 rubber

What DE ar eyou doing.....I might come and do it too

I am not sure of your front offset and if mine will work
Next DE is PCA Sebring Sept 17.

With my GT3 Cup lower control arms which push the wheel track out further than GT3 lower control arms I am pretty positive a 9" wide wheel with a et47 will not work. My 9x18 CCW's which I believe where a et51 on the red car with these LCA's stuck out just a little too much for my taste. That is why I'm thinking a 8.5 wheel with a et51 would work but I bet a 9" wheel would need a et53 or maybe even 56. et47 works on you car due to the fender flair...not sure if your LCA's are GT3 or Cup?????
Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Mike,

A 19x9 with a +51 offset will work with your car with a Michelin or Toyo track tire or virtually any normal street tire. With the Hoosier though, I just don't know. If you can wait another day we are lining up a test fit on a GT3 NB with the 235/35R19 Hoosier tomorrow afternoon here at the shop. I'll let you know what we find out.
Our standard RS fitment is 19x12 +47 which will fit your car with no issues.
Yes no problem I can wait till Friday or even Monday. I'd need the wheels at the latest assuming they fit and nothing needs to be sent back due to wrong fitment no later than September 13-14th...on the 15th I'll get the car all readyI leave on the 16th for the DE. THANKS!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Forgeline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We did a test fit today with 19x9 et49 wheels and both the 235/35R19 Hoosiers and 235/35R19 Michelins. The car is a street car and has 1 degree of camber.

-The Hoosier is quite a bit wider than the Michelin and actually sticks past the fender. There is no room to move to the inside as it is already very close to the spring. Even with more camber I do not believe you could get this to work unless you rotated the strut and brought the wheel in 5-6 mm. Or went to a 19x8.5 which would allow the wheel to come in 10-12mm

- The Michelin is basically flush with the fender and has 1 to 2mm to come inboard. With an offset of +51 and another degree or so of camber and this combination would work. Very close to the strut on the inside, but I believe it would be OK.

Tire width specifications.
Hoosier 235/35R19 10.2"
Michelin 235/35R19 9.5"
Toyo R888 9.5"

For reference of guys running 18x9's

Hoosier 245/35R18 9.8"
Toyo R888 245/40R18 9.8"

I hope this information helps everyone make good buying decisions based on their suspension settings and tire choices. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:01 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the 18x9 fit no problem with any tire thus far, but the 19x9 is where the problems arise?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Forgeline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by aero997c2s
So the 18x9 fit no problem with any tire thus far, but the 19x9 is where the problems arise?
Yes - the 18x9 is a very tight fit as anyone that runs them can attest to, and the extra .40" width of the 19 235 Hoosier puts it over the edge...
I would venture to say most guys running 18's have quite a bit of camber dialed in as well.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Ok Dave thanks for this info and help! So I need a 8.5x19 then with no more that et51 offset correct?

Would I have room on the inside by the strut if I did a stock like et53 offset? I should right?

I am thinking this way because the Lower Control Arms I have are the GT3 Cup arms which are longer than stock GT3 lower control arms and give the car a wider front track anyway...so a 8.5x19 et53 would clear the strut and not push the wheel/tire out past the fender.

I use R888 and plan on using some MPSC's too...but in the near future I'll probably be useing the R6 Hoosier 235/35/19 too.

Let me know if I am correct or not.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Forgeline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ok Dave thanks for this info and help! So I need a 8.5x19 then with no more that et51 offset correct?

Would I have room on the inside by the strut if I did a stock like et53 offset? I should right?

I am thinking this way because the Lower Control Arms I have are the GT3 Cup arms which are longer than stock GT3 lower control arms and give the car a wider front track anyway...so a 8.5x19 et53 would clear the strut and not push the wheel/tire out past the fender.

I use R888 and plan on using some MPSC's too...but in the near future I'll probably be useing the R6 Hoosier 235/35/19 too.

Let me know if I am correct or not.
You are correct and I believe the safest using the factory +53 offset.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:31 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

You are correct and I believe the safest using the factory +53 offset.
Dave,

I was told that the design of the 19" GA3R centerlock wheel could not be made with a +53 offset (which was what I originally wanted from the beginning since the stock wheels use that offset), and that +51 was the limit. Is this still the case? Scott told me the replacement set of fronts being made for my car will be 19x8.5 +51, which is still 2mm more than the factory wheels. Hope it works out.

Larry
Old 08-05-2011, 07:04 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Dave,

Please put an end to all this speculation. I am ready to order a set, but have been waiting for accurate info in this thread. Masmole, hope you get your wheel issue worked out....

Quick Reply: 19" Forgeline GA3R centerlocks are here