Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

19" Forgeline GA3R centerlocks are here

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 755 Posts

I was thinking about either glossy painted silver center or glassy painted grey center and polished lips. Thoughts?
Silver polished +1
Old 08-03-2011, 10:46 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Blasphemy! Baby Jesus prefers black wheels....

That bronze matte lip and black center looks so sinister, but Im shaky on how it looks on a black car
Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I thought I preferred black untill I mounted my silver BBS..
The high end wheels just look to nice to hide the detail in (flat) black.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

black oz
Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The super cheap OZ are the exception..
Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
.....Silver polished +1... high end wheels just look to nice to hide the detail in (flat) black.
I'm with you sir! But some guys just love black wheels.

Doug N

Last edited by DJN; 08-04-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:44 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Silver polished +1
I've always loved how the BBS wheels on the Lizards car looked...I can't afford the BBS but the Forgeline seems to sort of look like them.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

There might be special deals to be had, but you can test fit them to see if the RS offset might work. I think it could work. Orbit probably has some GT3 offsets as well just to play with before you buy anything.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:34 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Are these 3 piece wheels? Personally, I would not get another set of "assembled" wheels. Mono blocks don't leak air. My last set of 3 piece wheels got so bad it was losing a couple psi a day. Do the math when you let the car sit for a week. Costs a fortune to have them split, resealed, and then reassembled. I got rid of them instead. These are probably not going to give you problems but be aware of the potential. I can see why race teams use them. Break something, take it apart, and then fix it. Then again they have 10 sets of wheels and an entire crew

Also, if these are only coming in 8.5 fronts, why not just get the OZ's?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Are these 3 piece wheels? Personally, I would not get another set of "assembled" wheels. Mono blocks don't leak air. My last set of 3 piece wheels got so bad it was losing a couple psi a day. Do the math when you let the car sit for a week. Costs a fortune to have them split, resealed, and then reassembled. I got rid of them instead. These are probably not going to give you problems but be aware of the potential. I can see why race teams use them. Break something, take it apart, and then fix it. Then again they have 10 sets of wheels and an entire crew

Yes the Forgelines are 3 piece wheels. I've heard 3 piece leak from some people but I've also heard from guys running Forgeline's from this very forum that they have not had any issues in 2-3 years of hard DE use. I also spoke to a club race guy and no leaking issues. Not saying that there is not a possibility. Trakcars BBS are 3pc and not leaking issues due to the wheels.

I could get 9" front but I'm unsure of the offset and if they will fit. My CCW were 9x18 for the fronts and they stuck out a little bit but there was really no room it seems to change the offset to bring them inward or they would be hitting the upright/shock.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't have the patience to be on the "bleeding" edge when it comes to new stuff. Wheels or otherwise. I'd let someone else be the guinea pig while they sort out the fitment.

Get the OZ's for now. They're not expensive and they fit. You'll have this car for a while so you'll probably want another set of wheels down the road anyway once forgeline figures it out.

It's kind of funny how everyone is talking about having more tire choices in 19", but now they have no wheel choices.

Sounds like it's 5 bolt in 19" for the win
Old 08-04-2011, 11:56 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:01 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

The Offset problem is already solved with 19x8.5, one doesn't need to mess with the factory specs - they are perfect.

Problems occur when people begin to push the limit.....see some of the posts above for explanations why, in 19 inch sizing.

Doug N
Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Forgeline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95

It's unfortunate that 3-peice wheels get such a bad rap about leaking. Different manufactures use different methods of sealing and obviously have different results. The sealer we currently use, is ironically the same sealer Porsche uses in the factory for their engine cases. It's very expensive but we have found it to be far superior to anything on the market for adhesion, blowout resistance, and cuts or tears. If one of our wheels leak, it is 99.9% the fault of the tire installer. This sealer will resist most punctures, but if someone takes a metal tire tool and plunges directly into the seal, then there is a chance it will go all the way through. The best prevention is to point out the seal to the shop or guy at the track and let them know it's there.
Just to make a point, we just received an entire set of Viper race wheels in for refurbishing that were manufactured in 1998 that still have their original seals with no leaks. And that is our old silicone sealer.
Our new sealer will also adhere to itself so quick repairs are much easier. (you do not always have to split the rims ) and it dries in as quick as 4 hours. - 12 for a full rim split repair.
There are definitely different advantages to both 1 and 3 piece wheels, I just wanted to make sure everyone was informed about our three piece product.

And for those of you that are strictly sold on one piece wheels stay tuned for the release of our GA1R in 18x9, 18x12 in the next couple of days. 19" is still about 6-8 weeks away. Sneak peak picture of 1st wheel right out of the machine below.

President
Forgeline Motorsports
3522 Kettering Blvd.
Dayton, Ohio 45439

http://www.forgeline.com

Facebook Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

David, thanks for this reply....wanna make a set of those new monoblock wheels in 19" center lock...now?

Anyway, I was up till after 2:30am looking at all the video's on Forgeline TV! Wore out today....I know I'm wearing out this wheel thing but it's a big purchase for me and a tight time line as I have a DE in 6 weeks and need wheels on r-comp tires by then...so I need to make up my dang pea-brain by this weekend and get you guys or who ever an order.

I just need to make sure Forgeline understands the offsets I need for a Carrera GTS...which everyone seems not not surestand this cars geometry......

wide body Porsche like a Carrera 4 or Turbo... The GT3 and 2 RS are the same but use wider front offset and have stick on fender flairs...that is why a 9x19 et47 will not work and the wheels stick out.

or you can think of it this way I need Front Wheels that would fit a 2010-2012 GT3 and Rear Wheels that would fit a 2010-2012 Turbo and/or 2010-2012 GT3RS and/or 2011 GT2RS

So according to what Tire Rack sells I could use a 8.5x19 et51 and 12x19 et48 and I see back spacing listed as 8.8x19 is 6.81" and 12x19 is 8.38"...HOWEVER I'd rather have a 9" front wheel to fit the 235/35/19 tire better.

Hope this helps...thanks!

Quick Reply: 19" Forgeline GA3R centerlocks are here