Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Funny how slow/med. 'ring corners are taken with a lot of steering wheel 'chop'
they aren't, his style is just lacking ... IMHO

he is also a bit messy in places hitting berms etc where he "shouldn't" i.e they are not accepted "optimal" lines ...

go ahead ... ask me where!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
No idea. I think B-G. But the ring is so inconsistent that this difference says nothing.

On the other hand, the identical lap times at Hockenheim are odd.
+50PS and so much more torque should count there for something more.
Sport Auto has a set procedure

Usually whilst the Nordschleife is closed for lunch, HvS takes the car out from the usual tourist entrance, he arrives at the old pits (still used during Pool Weeks) with a full head of steam, the timer is started and he continues round on a closed track until he arrives back at the old pits, at which point the timer is stopped and HvS backs up to the entrance that he started from.

Horst does NOT do banzai runs, he does a quick, repeatable and consistent lap. Good man to have on the driving team in an enduro.

I hope this clarifies the procedure. BtoG is for amateurs, the unconnected and the undesirable.

R+C
Old 07-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife

Usually whilst the Nordschleife is closed for lunch, HvS takes the car out from the usual tourist entrance, he arrives at the old pits (still used during Pool Weeks) with a full head of steam, the timer is started and he continues round on a closed track until he arrives back at the old pits, at which point the timer is stopped and HvS backs up to the entrance that he started from.

Horst does NOT do banzai runs, he does a quick, repeatable and consistent lap. Good man to have on the driving team in an enduro.

I hope this clarifies the procedure. BtoG is for amateurs, the unconnected and the undesirable.

R+C
well in truth, BtoG is all that is available to amateurs unless they attend a private track day ... Sport Auto are "lucky" that they obtain such access to the full track nktnsure who the unconnected or undesirable are?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
well in truth, BtoG is all that is available to amateurs unless they attend a private track day ... Sport Auto are "lucky" that they obtain such access to the full track nktnsure who the unconnected or undesirable are?
Sport Auto are part of 'Mythos Nuerburgring' and very much connected. The unconnected include a whole bunch of largely British drivers and journalists, who are still under illusions as to their place in the scheme of things, the unwanted are again largely British, driving Evos having 'learned' the way round on some computer game. There are a number of Brits who fit right in - you dont notice them and probably think they are locals.

R+C
Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

I don't know when the testing for the 3.8 was done but considering it is summer you may deduct a couple seconds. Still I was expecting the results to be much closer to GT2 RS...
Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 AM
SealGrey986
Track Day

Some pictures I took from the Nurburgring when Sportauto was testing RS 4.0 three weeks ago:

2x RS 4.0

The Ringmeister in a photo with his fan

White 4.0 RS

And a black one

The massive rear wing keeps the RS stable in highspeed corners

Old 07-27-2011, 09:31 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

not this summer. summer was over in May this year. if anything, could very well have been noticeably cooler lap for the 4.0

i think the added drag to the 4.0 and the 3 mile long straight might count for a second or two.

would be great to see recorded speeds in each of the sections at the track.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

R+C
Sport Auto are part of 'Mythos Nuerburgring' and very much connected. The unconnected include a whole bunch of largely British drivers and journalists, who are still under illusions as to their place in the scheme of things, the unwanted are again largely British, driving Evos having 'learned' the way round on some computer game. There are a number of Brits who fit right in - you dont notice them and probably think they are locals.

R+C

Robin thanks for clearing that up, but the consistency of the driver makes it even stranger.

And don't poke the bear, the unconnected and undesirable amateurs won the war after all. : )

Cheers!
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SealGrey986
Some pictures I took from the Nurburgring when Sportauto was testing RS 4.0 three weeks ago:
Wow SealG, Thanks for the great photos!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 AM
GuyR
Racer

The unconnected include a whole bunch of largely British drivers and journalists, who are still under illusions as to their place in the scheme of things, the unwanted are again largely British, driving Evos having 'learned' the way round on some computer game. There are a number of Brits who fit right in - you dont notice them and probably think they are locals.
So very true.

I first came to the 'ring over 10 years ago, have done many TF days, trackdays and Scuderia Hanseats and as an Englishman I am generally ashamed by the behaviour both on and off track by my fellow countryman.

Together with Top Gear/Redline magazine it is largely they who have ruined the TF weekends and at least partly why we now have to eat crappy burgers at the track instead of the proper German food they used to serve.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:54 PM
RAPID
Racer

Originally Posted by carrering
would be great to see recorded speeds in each of the sections at the track.
I can't scan it, but here are the Bb pictures of 3.8 and 4.0 figures:
Attached Images   
Old 07-27-2011, 04:10 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hefner's got u all beat, 2 seconds per lap around Crystal: http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/cele...ppl/index.html
Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

R+C
Personally I find your remarks both offensive, off topic, generally unfounded and unwarranted, bordering on racist epithet, quite dissapointing, and very unworthy of the excellent reputation you have earned on this forum R+C.

There are good and bad drivers from every country; you may view it as unfortunate that the british motoring press have succeeded in promoting the
NS such that many enthusiasts now visit it, both good and bad. It could be
argued that the increased revenue generated is helping keep this national
and international treasure open ...
Old 07-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chago996
Hefner's got u all beat, 2 seconds per lap around Crystal: http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/cele...ppl/index.html
damn he's fast!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Personally I find your remarks both offensive, off topic, generally unfounded and unwarranted, bordering on racist epithet, quite dissapointing, and very unworthy of the excellent reputation you have earned on this forum R+C.

There are good and bad drivers from every country; you may view it as unfortunate that the british motoring press have succeeded in promoting the
NS such that many enthusiasts now visit it, both good and bad. It could be
argued that the increased revenue generated is helping kyeep this national
and international treasure open ...
Larry

I AM British as well as having other nationalities, like most Europeans I find my British compatriots rude and boorish. sadly the Nordschleife attracts the rude and boorish Brit in a big way. I find it hard to explain exactly how hard the Brits work to maintain their appalling reputation. A single example should surfice - at a recent European Football Championship (soccer to those of you who are challenged by round *****), the organisers sighed a huge sigh of relief when none of the British nations (England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland) qualified for the final rounds, as this meant that they would not have to partition and cage the stadiums to stop the Brit fans from fighting the other supporters.

Its very nice of you to stick up for the Brits (where wqere you in 1940), but good friends have to point out shortcomings. Frankly, the Brits have earned their poor reputation.

I am almost certain I spend much more time than you do in both Europe and Britain. It is not racist to point out that my compatriots behave badly abroad, remember Britain is the country with the biggest prison population in Europe, the greatest number of CC TVs, the worst housing stock, I could go on - so its hardly surprising that they behave badly abroad.

I wish that my remarks were not fair and justified, and in your rush to castigate me personally, you overlooked my having previously pointed out that there is a minority of Brits who fit right in to the Nuerburgring environment.

I am not alone in feeling this way as another (British resident) lister has posted his concurrance with my remarks.

Larry, be grateful, for once its the ugly Brits, not the ugly americans!

R+C

Quick Reply: RS 4.0 lap time on The Ring: