Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My 4.05L kit for my 7GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:06 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverboy
Capricorn said they will machine and enlarge the critical water jackets...etc to increase water flow and keep it cool.
RS Tuning use special radiators for their big bore engines along with a modified waterhousing and oil/water heat exchanger.

Goodluck on your project
Old 07-22-2011, 01:36 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
This kit is proven. In fact, it was one of the first big-bore kits developed in so-cal by Wrightwood racing. The first engine built was back in 2003...way before sharkwerks started experimenting with increased displacement. I have not heard of a failure yet.

I'm using the liners from Capricorn as well, except the OP is using 106mm pistons while I'm using 105.4 for exactly 4000cc displacement. Good luck with the build!
For sure and and best of luck with the IPB Autosport build (not sure if you're the owner of the shop/car but I've heard good things about the shop before from customers).
Old 07-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Silverboy: this is definitely an interesting route. Being in HKG i have the same problem--Sharkey is too far away yet I'm skeptical of trusting the local guys to something akin to open-heart surgery. I'll be closely following your build!

So to clarify, the stroke of your rebuild remains the same while the bore goes up by way of thinner liners. Are there modifications to the block itself? How are you doing the ECU reprogramming?

You and I are in equally hot climate so it'll be interesting to see how you deal with longevity/reliability issues.

p.s. were you at Sepang last weekend when PCHK & PCS took out the track?
To help the car breathe, we're doing:
- Latest 997 cup heads from PMNA, ported 996 intakes to match, 997 throttle body and intake plenum ported to match.
- Exhaust is 997 header/cats and 08-10 997 cup muffler. If it wasn't a street car, we would do something more exotic.

In a nutshell, we are taking advantage of the engine refinements in the 997 series.

I would love to retrofit some of the RS 4.0 intake parts, but the cost/benefit ratio becomes high with many other additional parts that would also need to be swapped.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
To help the car breathe, we're doing:
- Latest 997 cup heads from PMNA, ported 996 intakes to match, 997 throttle body and intake plenum ported to match.
- Exhaust is 997 header/cats and 08-10 997 cup muffler. If it wasn't a street car, we would do something more exotic.

In a nutshell, we are taking advantage of the engine refinements in the 997 series.

I would love to retrofit some of the RS 4.0 intake parts, but the cost/benefit ratio becomes high with many other additional parts that would also need to be swapped.
I've enjoyed watching the build thread. Awe inspiring. Helluva gut check to go for the factory heads even though the price is about half what 9m would (I imagine) want for heads.

I didn't realize you were going to keep this thing running emissions (hardware and software) ... that's impressive. That's one of the most impressive things about the SW 3.9. I've only driven it on the street, but it's so well-mannered, sucks down 91, smog's, burbles along in 3rd gear at 2500 rpm and not so much as a single spark goes astray when you want throttle response or just a hint of smooth acceleration.

Looking at the parts prices for the 4.0, it looks to me like Porsche is deliberately saying "sure, you can buy our hot rod parts, but you'll pay a pretty penny for our R&D." It still boggles the mind, ever since the 996 GT3 of '04 to imagine these high revving 400+/- HP engines with 40K mile factory warranties. Just amazing.

All this talk of torque has me itching to get into the 4.0 RS. There's a car that should come from the factory with a full cage and harnesses mandatory. : )
Old 07-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My money is with Sharky for a reason. I don't want a drill press or a lathe within a 100 yards of my engine block. God speed, Sharkman.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 07-23-2011, 03:48 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurbine
RS Tuning use special radiators for their big bore engines along with a modified waterhousing and oil/water heat exchanger.
RS Tuning fit a special centre radiator to all the race cars and many turbo street cars (the one they use is from an Australian source) and say it is worth real power on the track.
They showed me how inaccurate the dash water temp gauge is and it continues to measure 90DegC when the temp is a lot higher so many people believe their temps are in the green when in reality power is being sapped.

Does anyone have any source for upgraded radiators (their Oz one was 2500Euro which I though a bit steep) Oakley list some but I have heard not to deal with these people ?
http://www.oakleydesign.eu/aluminium-radiator-kit
Old 07-23-2011, 03:56 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Walk away from Oakley.

Perhaps something from the cup /rsr might work; but it would still be expensive.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:51 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurbine

Goodluck on your project
Thank you for this.

SW don't in their 3.9L kit so I am figuring it would be fine.

I don't intend to go out more than 20 minutes per track run.

Also meant to be a street/track car with about 80%/20% split.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 AM
Wild999
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TB993tt
RS Tuning fit a special centre radiator to all the race cars and many turbo street cars (the one they use is from an Australian source) and say it is worth real power on the track.
They showed me how inaccurate the dash water temp gauge is and it continues to measure 90DegC when the temp is a lot higher so many people believe their temps are in the green when in reality power is being sapped.

Does anyone have any source for upgraded radiators (their Oz one was 2500Euro which I though a bit steep) Oakley list some but I have heard not to deal with these people ?
http://www.oakleydesign.eu/aluminium-radiator-kit
I'm assuming you mean PWR? You could source one directly from them yourself for alot less then that price you have quoted but they are still a ridiculous price for what they are. I recently was looking at replacing all 3 of my radiators with the PWR ones, I live in Australia, but could not justify the cost.

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Walk away from Oakley.
Perhaps something from the cup /rsr might work; but it would still be expensive.
RSR's use PWR radiators as far as I'm aware, well at least they did on the 996 RSR's.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:36 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild999
I'm assuming you mean PWR? You could source one directly from them yourself for alot less then that price you have quoted but they are still a ridiculous price for what they are. I recently was looking at replacing all 3 of my radiators with the PWR ones, I live in Australia, but could not justify the cost.

RSR's use PWR radiators as far as I'm aware, well at least they did on the 996 RSR's.
Many thanks for the info, I presume this is what RS are using.... I have asked them for a price
Old 07-24-2011, 04:48 PM
hesperus
Racer

Holy sh*t... you went for it!

This reminds me of the time I told you not to supercharge your other car... and you did anyway!

guys, Silverboy has one of the most serious cases of "mod-itis" I've ever seen.

the upside is, you're taking the plunge on R&D and this thread will surely be epic!

when are you starting the work? Do it AFTER this weekend! join us at the track! (and for the record, I was short shifting your car out there! it just sounded like i wasn't coz its so frickin' loud! John said you sounded concerned hehehe!)

anyway, subscribed!

car will be awesome for sure!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:01 PM
jlasuncion
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hehe...had a feeling you will do it...cant wait to see it running but hesperus is right, join us this weekend before you open her up

I think hesperus is happy you will be doing it because he might follow your road btw dyno the car before the build
Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Wild999
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Many thanks for the info, I presume this is what RS are using.... I have asked them for a price
Not a problem. PWR are a good quality product, but just stupidly priced.

Another thing to note is that they make 2 different versions for porsches. A normal up graded radiator for GT3's & a 24hr version for cup/RSR's etc. I believe the only difference besides the price which again is nuts is the thickness of the core's. I'm not sure which one RS use.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

hi liam, welcome to rennlist!
i'll try to make it out to the next pcnsw supersprint to say hi and introduce myself.

cheers,

james

Quick Reply: My 4.05L kit for my 7GT3RS