Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Should I buy a 08 GT2 or 7.2 GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ clearly a man who's actually driven one. properly too, it seems.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Spidey 993

I very much appreciate all the input and obviously some of this is over my head, especially the experience of driving both let alone one of them What I love about the GT3 and RS is everything but the power in the GT2. However, I would be honored to drive any of the the three.

I've been staring at this one:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spidey 993TT
I very much appreciate all the input and obviously some of this is over my head, especially the experience of driving both let alone one of them What I love about the GT3 and RS is everything but the power in the GT2. However, I would be honored to drive any of the the three.

The original owner paid $200+ for that car, and it's not even broken in with only 2000 some odd miles. AND has the correct seats. Probably can be bought for low $130's.

No. Flippen. Brainer. In spite of the red interior overdose (can be fixed with an interior strip and full cage! ) a screaming deal. You are crazy if you don't buy that car. Deal of the year.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by excmag
My comments with re: to the 997-1 GT2 suspension and chassis appeared in the September 2008 issue, here: http://www.excellence-mag.com/back-issues?year=2008 I don't expect you to buy it, but I don't have the time to repeat all my work here. Short version: 997-1 GT2 had significant improvements in roll-coupling (the way the front and back of the car "work" together) as well as vastly better PASM damping (my opinion). I do prefer the GT3's NA engine—but, overall, I prefer the chassis of the 997-1 GT2 to any other 997 GTx model to date, and I love the "challenge" of the speed brought on by the turbocharged engine.

Anyone who equates a GT2 to a glorified Turbo hasn't pushed a GT2 hard, and certainly not back to back with its contemporary GT3. In the 996 days, I was amazed at how similar the GT2 was to the GT3 in terms of handling, as was Johannes van Overbeek and two other drivers I respect. With similar alignments, the cars were very close in many ways; you just had to deal with the extra weight out back in the GT2. In 997 days, I am amazed at how different the 997-1 GT2 and GT3s are. The GT2 is notably faster and more comfortable. However, it is nothing like a 997 Turbo. It may be refined enough around town to wear a chrome badge on its rump, but it is soooooo much more involving than a 997 Turbo on a back road, and sooooooooooooooooooooooo much more at home on a race track. Now, spend $15k on a Turbo for suspension and another $8-12 for wheels and tires and you can close that gap right up. If you do it just right...

That's why I would probably prefer a 997-1 GT2 over the rest of the 997 GTx models (RS 4.0 noted, and needing to be driven), this despite the fact that I like the GT3 engine better and the GT3's looks better, too. The 997-1 GT2 is seriously good, and very few people will find out how good—because the cars are rare and few who have them will really use them. Pretty cool that you've got a couple right here to talk to. Their experiences and conclusions seem to match up with mine.
I've held back on this thread for a while.

This is the first response that I think is worth anything apart from tripleblack's.

What is the difference between the GT2 and the GT3RS? That is the question you really have to understand...

A GT2 is much more than "just" a Turbo. It's a GT car first and foremost- a "special" build so to say. To say it is "just" a Turbo would be the same as saying the GT3RS is "just" a C2 wide body.

There are 500 997 GT2s supposedly. There are over 2000 GT3RSs. There will be more people talking about the NA car than the turbocharged one, such is life. However, if you can tune out the extraneous noise and hone in on the signal, you should be able to hear that-
1. The GT2 chassis is the same as the GT3RS (not surprising since the RS is based on the GT2). Hence, handling should be very similar.
2. The turbos provide much higher headroom for power potential. The flipside is that the higher the power, the harder it is to drive (that goes for ANY application, NA or turbo) at the limit.

If you don't intend to drive them on the track I would probably steer you away from them. These cars were bred for track days and WOT enjoyment, and neither can be really driven on the street in that manner without repercussions.

People who say they've driven both and find them similar, quite frankly, have not come close to the limit of the cars.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spidey 993TT

FYI that dealer is relatively local to me. If you need someone to take a gander at it I can drop by.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stujelly
I have both so here are my comments:

Seems like everyone here has nailed it.

If primarily on the street, GT2

If more for track use gt3-rs.

On the track the rs is faster because of handling and corner sppeds.

THe gt2 is all straight away speed.

Fun on the street though.
HAHAHAHHA what a noob comment...

Read 3 post's down...

No one has nailed it, those who make these ignorant statements that the GT2 is a 'glorified' turbo, just a street car, all hp and straight away speed are just poser's who can't properly wring these car's out on the track... TRUTH

GT3 is just a de-tuned, fattened up cup car.... let's see what comments I get after this statement (and yes i'm just joking)... But some people here would actually make these blanket statements!

I find it so funny that people discount the GT2's compliability for the driver in that, then the GT2 is just "soft" and not as rigid or good chassis/suspension wise as the GT3/RS... Did anyone ever think, that maybe it's because it's SO GOOD??? Yes, engineering wise, it's way better hence the feeling... Just like when people upgrade to Moton's or JRZ's and say wow, the car is on rails and dampening/rebound AMAZING, yet the car ride's so well? There's a reason for it fella's
Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

What about sound??

If this is important buy the GT3 RS!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

GT2; Off the brakes into corner, gas, gas, BOOST, scared, lift, gas, BOOST, out of revs, shift. Sounds OK.

GT3; Off the brakes into corner, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas gas, gas. Sounds glorious.

Heat soaked on hot tracks alters lap times or throttle response more in GT2 then GT3.

I want one of both and would drive the GT2 always on street and GT3 more often on track then the GT2, except on bullying days.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
GT2; Off the brakes into corner, gas, gas, BOOST, scared, lift, gas, BOOST, out of revs, shift. Sounds OK.

GT3; Off the brakes into corner, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas, gas gas, gas. Sounds glorious.

Heat soaked on hot tracks alters lap times or throttle response more in GT2 then GT3.

I want one of both and would drive the GT2 always on street and GT3 more often on track then the GT2, except on bullying days.
Exactly my thoughts!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:44 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

haha great description!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
except on bullying days.
Umm....since when are those days an exception for you?

Scared? Okay, sometimes but it helps sharpen your focus.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 AM
NITEALB
Instructor

I currently own both cars. i drive the rs at the track and absolutely love it. the agility and response of the rs is worth the admission price alone. the gt2 feels very different. it feels softer, more *** heavy and steering feels less precise than the rs. however, big torque is lots of fun. i find the power of the gt2 quite manegable on the street and track. both cars must be driven with the stabilty aids off to really enjoy all they have to offer. i still prefer the rs on the street, probably because of the sound (running no mufflers!) - the gt2 by comparison sounds way too quiet - removing the cats and running the stock silencer remedies this somewhat - but it still nothing close to the na sound. in case ur wondering, in terms of straight line power, a roll from 90km/hr ends up in dead heat until 200 - its after 210ish the extra power of the gt2 really tells. one last thing, if comfort, speed, very little track time and pdk mean more to you buy the turbo s. i had one for a few months and ending up hating it, but for a street cruiser with silly/usable power the turbo s rocks.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Spidey 993

Thanks again for the comments. I have tried to focus somewhat because it seems logically the GT2 is the "right" car for me.

However, every time I see a orange GT3RS, I want to own it. So I am leaving the door open, primarily searching for that GT2, but if your selling a orange RS, I want to know.

Thanks all
Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

^Hey Tony,

The real problem is not you, but Porsche.

The discussions in this thread is entertaining to watch, but not useful to me. I am not/and will never be capable to drive my .2RS or a GT2 to the limit. The discussion of their true performance is purely academic. On the street, we are using only 30% of their potential. There is no logical decision as to which one to buy. It is which one you want to own.

Porsche makes so many good sport cars. You were asking questions about GT2 vs .2GT3RS, now your eyes are on the orange .1GT3RS.....

If I have more garage space, then I also want a Carrera GT, 4.0, GT2, 993TT,......

Last edited by Targa Tim; 07-28-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Spidey 993

Best of both, but I may need to rob a bank:

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 08 GT2 or 7.2 GT3RS?