Portable impact wrench options

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:49 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Portable impact wrench options

I posted this question on Cup discussion area but not too many people visit there. I will ask here and get your feedback

Change tires can be a PITA with my CL wheel. I am looking for an impact wrench that can quickly take the center lock on and off much like what race team use. The center lock spec on my Cup is about 340 ft lbs. I found some portable impact wrench made by Milwaukee and they offer torque from 325 ft lbs to 450 ft lbs. Any suggestions?

Old 07-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

I have had two different Snap On impact wrenches over the years. The original 12V is still in operation today for some of the lighter duty stuff. The newest 18V has replaced it for the heavy duty stuff for the simple reason of needing more power and the battery will last longer. It is one of the more expensive impact guns but I have had zero issues with both of the ones I have owned.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:53 PM
RAPID
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet you must need strong wrists to hold on to it!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
I have had two different Snap On impact wrenches over the years. The original 12V is still in operation today for some of the lighter duty stuff. The newest 18V has replaced it for the heavy duty stuff for the simple reason of needing more power and the battery will last longer. It is one of the more expensive impact guns but I have had zero issues with both of the ones I have owned.
Thanks Seth. Were you able to install the center lock with impact wrench without using a torque wrench after? I like to get an impact wrench where I can install the center lock w/o need of a torque wrench ....

Originally Posted by RAPID
I bet you must need strong wrists to hold on to it!
I have wrist of steel after driving squential
Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sadly, I don't think there's a good solution short of a nitrogen tank to take off the steel centerlocks. You could break all four with a bar and then spin them off with a small battery operated impact wrench, but I've not heard of one that delivers the muscle.

The most I could suggest is ordering one from somewhere like Amazon with a liberal satisfaction guarantee -- if you get the beefiest Milwaukee could finally do the trick. At 450 ft-lb ... and $700 ... but Amzn has it for $350 or $300 for refurb and "warehouse like new" so that might be viable.

Amazon Amazon

They're also insanely noisy, so get some ear protection. : )
Old 07-14-2011, 06:09 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Sadly, I don't think there's a good solution short of a nitrogen tank to take off the steel centerlocks. You could break all four with a bar and then spin them off with a small battery operated impact wrench, but I've not heard of one that delivers the muscle.

The most I could suggest is ordering one from somewhere like Amazon with a liberal satisfaction guarantee -- if you get the beefiest Milwaukee could finally do the trick. At 450 ft-lb ... and $700 ... but Amzn has it for $350 or $300 for refurb and "warehouse like new" so that might be viable.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...impact+2662-22

They're also insanely noisy, so get some ear protection. : )
Thanks Adam. I guess it's a trial and error thing. I may get a portable impact gun that deliver 450 ft lbs and check the torque after to see what it register. Yes, I have 10 sets of ear plugs ... a must for Cup car
Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you this, my battery impact is good to 280ft/lbs and struggles to break off my bolts torqued at 100-105. You really need to let it do the work. At home I have a battery impact that is good to 450 and will do it no problem. Those center locks are so friggen tight I think a gun at 450 will still not be enough.

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Kaiservon
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Seth..you actually change your own wheels? I thought you had people to do that.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:51 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Miky you will need air tools for what you want to do.

The advertised max torque from cordless impact wrenches is a peak figure, and hardly a honest one. A 450 ft/lbs cordless won't break loose your CL nuts, you'll need something that advertises 800+ and I don't think there is any.

If you carry a small air tank with its gas/electric compressor, you can run your air tools from the trailer, ALMS style.

I don't like to break loose my lug bolts or lug nuts with the impact wrench, wears out the threads with time.

I would use a breaker bar and do 1/2 turn at all corners when switching tires, then use a regular cordless drill or light torque impact wrench to remove/reinstall the nuts. The tight with the torque wrench once again.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Go for it Miky

Old 07-14-2011, 09:11 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I could never break the center nut loose with my 18v Snap On, nor could any of my cup friends. I ran 2-300cu.ft. N-tanks in my trailer when I had my cup. One was used with a high capacy regulator and a 500lb. Gorilla hose by Goodyear solely for air shocks. The other with a standard regulator ran my Ingersol-Rand impact wrench and the air chuck. 150lbs. of pressure loosens 350lb. center locks easily....
Old 07-15-2011, 01:00 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
I can tell you this, my battery impact is good to 280ft/lbs and struggles to break off my bolts torqued at 100-105. You really need to let it do the work. At home I have a battery impact that is good to 450 and will do it no problem. Those center locks are so friggen tight I think a gun at 450 will still not be enough.

Good luck!
Gee ... it's harder than I thought

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Miky you will need air tools for what you want to do.

The advertised max torque from cordless impact wrenches is a peak figure, and hardly a honest one. A 450 ft/lbs cordless won't break loose your CL nuts, you'll need something that advertises 800+ and I don't think there is any.

If you carry a small air tank with its gas/electric compressor, you can run your air tools from the trailer, ALMS style.

I don't like to break loose my lug bolts or lug nuts with the impact wrench, wears out the threads with time.

I would use a breaker bar and do 1/2 turn at all corners when switching tires, then use a regular cordless drill or light torque impact wrench to remove/reinstall the nuts. The tight with the torque wrench once again.
Thanks Rad. Will look into Nito tank and air tool

Originally Posted by grizfish
lol

That was the first video I found by google impact wrench

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I could never break the center nut loose with my 18v Snap On, nor could any of my cup friends. I ran 2-300cu.ft. N-tanks in my trailer when I had my cup. One was used with a high capacy regulator and a 500lb. Gorilla hose by Goodyear solely for air shocks. The other with a standard regulator ran my Ingersol-Rand impact wrench and the air chuck. 150lbs. of pressure loosens 350lb. center locks easily....
I wonder how large is the nitro tank and how to fill up the gas etc.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:28 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My 300 tanks are about 5ft tall and 8" diameter. I get mine filled at Airgas but there's many "gas shops" around. It's usually around $30 for a full exchange tank. If you're not bleeding and filling tires a tank dedicated to air shocks and a impact wrench could easily last 6-9 months....
Old 07-15-2011, 04:21 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for a race team selling up and get the proper bits - cheaper and less agrevating in the long run.

R+C

Quick Reply: Portable impact wrench options