Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Best sounding exhaust/bypass for .2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 01:37 PM
GYMGUY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Best sounding exhaust/bypass for .2 RS

i am debating between RSS, Sharkwerks, an GMG. For those of you that have or have heard these in person which sounds the best? I love an aggressive, exotic sound, but I really can't tell from YouTube videos. I am also open to other suggestions. I'm assuming Sharkwerks track exhaust is probably way too loud. Thanks for everyones suggestions.
Chris
Old 07-03-2011, 02:11 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Never heard GMG but RSS X-pipe and Sharkwerks bypass sound pretty much the same. I went with Sharkwerks because Alex has great customer service, offered a nice rennlist discount, and their system allowed me to use the stock tips to keep a stock look.

Absolutely love my sharky bypass. Unplugged is the way to go. So many compliments at a recent track event. Cup car-esque sound yet tame enough for daily driving.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:34 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my SW exhaust. Sounds brilliant, its light, and the guys at SW are top-notch. Customer service is so good you want to buy EVERYTHING from them...
Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

+1 SW, great guys great customer service and I love the sound.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:23 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

I faced the same dilemma recently. For me it was between RSS and SW. Couldn't tell anything from the vids, and just couldn't decide. A good deal came up on the RSS, and I thought the tips looked a little better (didn't want to have to buy SW black tips on top of the bypass) so I just went with that.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I did see a GMG one for sale at Orbit last week, the tips look way cool, bigger and angled. Looks like nice craftmanship. I have not heard it. With the SW you just keep Ti OEM tips.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:42 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

They're all gonna sound the same. Buy the one that cosmetically appeals to you. RSS has nice looking tips because they're not bolted on and part of the "plumbing". Can't go wrong with SW either though. It's all aesthetics. I seriously doubt there are any performance gains from one to the other. And they're all overpriced for what they actually are as far as I'm concerned I have a center bypass on my car and really like it. No drone either.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:06 PM
GYMGUY
Instructor

What is the difference between the bypass and the track exhaust? Please excuse my ignorance.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GYMGUY
What is the difference between the bypass and the track exhaust? Please excuse my ignorance.
I have track exhaust, sharkwerks

If u drive on street it drones some.

It is esentislly straight pipes

On the track, sounds better than any of them

If I ever goto bypass only I'll get gmg, best craftsmanship
Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 PM
MDiau
6th Gear

I also have the SW track exhaust and absolutely love it to say the least! BTW as others have mentioned their customer service is incredible
Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 PM
dbrescia
AutoX

Dont forget about Europipe sport muffler; also awesome, but eliminates the flaps. Never missed them!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:51 PM
GYMGUY
Instructor

Now I can't decide between the track exhaust or just the bypass. For the guy with just the bypass do you ever wish it was more aggressive? For the guys with the track exhaust, would you just go bypass if you had to do it over?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GYMGUY
bypass uses the stock side mufflers, but eliminates the big, heavy centre muffler, for straight pipes.
track exhaust eliminates the stock side mufflers, and replaces the big, heavy centre muffler with 2 small, lightweight micro mufflers.
dilemma is simple. if you drive everyday, bypass.
if you drive once a week, track.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have heard both GMG and SW, and both really sound great. The workmanship on the GMG looks better. But, the GMG has a howl when just cruising around in nearly every RPM range whereas the SW doesn't.

The howl isn't a droning noise but almsot sounds like an intake howl. Anyway, it is pretty noticeable and the SW pipe doesn't have any howl or droning.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:36 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Does anyone make a "cheap" straight pipe?

I have one event a year with no sound limits. In the future it might be two events per year.

All I want is to temporarily install the pipes past the cats and shake some leaves off trees trackside. I did that once with the 996 GT3. Ghetto looking straight pipes, no tips, nothing. Sounded totally badass on the track.

I find the stock exhaust perfectly fine the rest of the time.

Stuff like Sharkwerks is very well made and very nice but that's not what I am looking for when using it for one three day weekend a year.

Quick Reply: Best sounding exhaust/bypass for .2 RS