Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation A Simple Shark Werks Exhaust and LWF Turns into 3.9L Build

This week we had a simple, understated silver GT3 show up from Southern California. The owner made the ~350 mile drive and dropped her off, then took a plane ride home to let us get to work. The requested upgrades were our bypass exhaust and EVOMSit software, but sometimes things can get a little crazy around here...

The car was put on the lift:

The ECU was read-out and EVOMSit tuning was installed:

A video showing some of the tuning method:

Bumper and center/side muffler removed:

On goes the bypass:

Sound clip of the bypass on a 997 GT3:

In the background, a 997.2 GT3RS is being prepped for more upgrades..

A few more parts are removed from the GT3:

Something's missing here:

Ah, there's the transmission:

997 GT3RS lightweight flywheel, a great upgrade to help bring the car to life... easier revs, better 0-60 and a lot more fun to drive:

And guess what's next?

Well it's too soon for pictures, but the owner called us, luckily while the transmission was out, requesting a few more changes. The next round of upgrades will be the Shark Werks 3.9L Upgrade and various suspension bits. Stay tuned for updates!

We never know what cars might show up during a given week here, so when Alex or I pop into the back during the day, it's always fun to guess what colors we'll see. Yellow, white, orange, silver, black... green, of course. And what's this? A famous 997 GT3 stops by in signature Mexico Blue for some EVOMSit tuning, to enable left foot braking:

A few minutes later, another car shows up, this time a Cobalt Blue Turbo for EVOMSit Stage I and a massive horsepower bump:
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter
Old 07-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It was more like a 500 mile drive....and hopefully it's not understated anymore when I come pick it up
Old 07-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggorian
It was more like a 500 mile drive....and hopefully it's not understated anymore when I come pick it up
You're in for a helluva ride.

I've had a couple of events at Laguna this year and last with a good friend in a 997.1 GT3 with the 3.9. His car has all the SW go fast stuff (suspension bits, brakes, diff, cage) but stock gearing.

He has turned a blisteringly quick 1:36.1 at Laguna (transponder number during a race) and we've circulated through traffic at 1:36.9's on Hoosiers. I think that with better gearing, the 3.9 would be quicker than the 3.8 RS.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:49 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

Sounds like a challenge for Mancation III to CA next year...........
Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sounds like a challenge for Mancation III to CA next year...........
I think that Mancation West "California Dreamin'" should include Laguna and Sears as well as the Virginia City Hillclimb. Some speed runs at Fontana, a dude ranch hang out at Pahrump and who knows, maybe a 1000 mile return journey to run Pikes Peak? I certainly want to run a 4.0 RS at those two hillclimbs in 2012.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:44 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like you may need to break it in at Laguna and Infineon.

How long will the build take?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:14 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

Originally Posted by skxf430
Sounds like you may need to break it in at Laguna and Infineon.

How long will the build take?
About 4 weeks. I'm picking the car up on Friday 8/5.

OK, I'm about to really show my track ignorance here. Can you just show up at either Laguna or Infineon and drive? I NEED to get this new car to the track more, but frankly really don't know how. I have 2 track days on the car since I've owned it....Willow Springs Streets and the big willow springs track on the same weekend with about 50 Toyota Celicas driven by fellow Amatuers (with a capital A). I'm thinking of going the PCA route to start, with some parking lot autocross action at Qualcomm Stadium
Old 07-12-2011, 03:40 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

OK, I'm about to really show my track ignorance here. Can you just show up at either Laguna or Infineon and drive? I NEED to get this new car to the track more, but frankly really don't know how. I have 2 track days on the car since I've owned it....Willow Springs Streets and the big willow springs track on the same weekend with about 50 Toyota Celicas driven by fellow Amatuers (with a capital A). I'm thinking of going the PCA route to start, with some parking lot autocross action at Qualcomm Stadium
Join the POC (www.porscheclub.com). They have a great PDS (performance driving series) that will get you up to speed. Such a great club to be involved in. And skies the limit from PDS to full blow Cup racing. It's up to you and what you want to do. Hope to see you out there.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

You can find track days at
http://www.motorsportreg.com/
Typically, folks around here drive with Hooked on Driving, TrackMasters, SpeedVentures, CFRA, Coastal, NCRC or any of their local PCA regions (check out http://www.pca.org/Regions/RegionDirectory.aspx?Zone=7)

Forget autocross, the 3.9 is not meant for that stuff. Just don't do it.

I'd suggest you employ Rennlist to help find local instructors who actually know what they're talking about when driving a 997 and have the communication skill to convey useful information to you. Don't (don't!) just let any idiot in the passenger seat and start telling you how to drive -- erasing bad habits is not easy. Instead, while you're waiting till 8/5, see if you can get into a PSDS and you'll be well equipped and prepared. Or attend something like PCA GGR at Thunderhill this weekend and do some passenger rides so you get a feel for what your call can deliver.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:00 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

I'd suggest you employ Rennlist to help find local instructors who actually know what they're talking about when driving a 997 and have the communication skill to convey useful information to you. Don't (don't!) just let any idiot in the passenger seat and start telling you how to drive -- erasing bad habits is not easy. Instead, while you're waiting till 8/5, see if you can get into a PSDS and you'll be well equipped and prepared. Or attend something like PCA GGR at Thunderhill this weekend and do some passenger rides so you get a feel for what your call can deliver. ....Quote

Where is Thunderhill? Can't on Saturday, but Sunday is wide open.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

Google probably knows where Thunderhill is........
Old 07-13-2011, 02:04 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

Kyle TX?
Old 07-13-2011, 02:06 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

Willows, CA....
Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Willows, CA....
Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Google probably knows where Thunderhill is........

http://thunderhill.com/staticpages/i...?page=Location

About an hour from Sacramento, about two hours from San Francisco, about three hours from San Jose.

Quick Reply: A Simple Shark Werks Exhaust and LWF Turns into 3.9L Build