Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggorian
It was more like a 500 mile drive....and hopefully it's not understated anymore when I come pick it up
Hehe good to see you on here. When us GT3'ers are not "in" or "faffing" about with our GT3s we're on here the rest of the time. Usually figuring out what Larry's been up to or trying to solve the world's problems too when we can

It won't be understated anymore I promise Although a weird thing happened, last week it was on the lift and _had_ an engine in it. I got back there and suddenly it's not in the car anymore and been wheeled into James' man-cave. I only get to go back there when it's time to time the cams

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You're in for a helluva ride.

I've had a couple of events at Laguna this year and last with a good friend in a 997.1 GT3 with the 3.9. His car has all the SW go fast stuff (suspension bits, brakes, diff, cage) but stock gearing.

He has turned a blisteringly quick 1:36.1 at Laguna (transponder number during a race) and we've circulated through traffic at 1:36.9's on Hoosiers. I think that with better gearing, the 3.9 would be quicker than the 3.8 RS.
Aw thanks and he's in the 1.35s now as well Gearing, LSD and all the things Porsche didn't want to do darnit... Your old white 6gt3 would be fun to try in that scenario too although the suspension and aero (not to mention SKINNY tires) need some work;(

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sounds like a challenge for Mancation III to CA next year...........
MANCATION-REUNINON4SURE!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Aw thanks and he's in the 1.35s now as well Gearing, LSD and all the things Porsche didn't want to do darnit... Your old white 6gt3 would be fun to try in that scenario too although the suspension and aero (not to mention SKINNY tires) need some work
The 6 would acquit itself pretty well on R6's, just roll the fenders. As for :35's, the line through the screw is so much faster now, I'm sure he can shave a couple of tenths off. If he's finally fixed his line down through T9, I imagine he's shaved another tenth off there, too. And those times were with some pretty dodgy old Brembo slotted and a leaky rear caliper. You need to get a brake kit on his car.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:41 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As for :35's, the line through the screw is so much faster now, I'm sure he can shave a couple of tenths off...
I watched the Grand Am race there last weekend on Speed and thought it looked flater. What have they done?....
Old 07-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Join the POC (www.porscheclub.com). They have a great PDS (performance driving series) that will get you up to speed. Such a great club to be involved in. And skies the limit from PDS to full blow Cup racing. It's up to you and what you want to do. Hope to see you out there.
Done....Thanks!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I watched the Grand Am race there last weekend on Speed and thought it looked flater. What have they done?....
There's asphalt behind the berm for 8b.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:48 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The 6 would acquit itself pretty well on R6's, just roll the fenders. As for :35's, the line through the screw is so much faster now, I'm sure he can shave a couple of tenths off. If he's finally fixed his line down through T9, I imagine he's shaved another tenth off there, too. And those times were with some pretty dodgy old Brembo slotted and a leaky rear caliper. You need to get a brake kit on his car.
Poor fenders they're so narrow and 996y! Part of the fun. Then there's the exhaust... Hooters would solve a lot and the ohlins.

Too right about those rear brakes - yikes. I bet he wishes he has those neato ones I saw on yours. Once you feel those how do you stay steel...
Old 07-16-2011, 04:08 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggorian
Done....Thanks!
Awesome! Hope to see you out there!

I won't be at Laguna (my son's 1st birthday that weekend). But will be at the following event at Fontana.

FYI, There is a POC member and hard charger with a SW 3.9! He beat guys in full blown Cup cars at the last POC race!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:42 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

FYI, There is a POC member and hard charger with a SW 3.9! He beat guys in full blown Cup cars at the last POC race!
Yes sir! He's flying the flag for two of my favorite things. England and the sw3.9 I do seriously think there's a future for him with a Cup car though. No more faffin' about in a full weight street car with stock suspension!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Poor fenders they're so narrow and 996y! Part of the fun. Then there's the exhaust... Hooters would solve a lot and the ohlins.

Too right about those rear brakes - yikes. I bet he wishes he has those neato ones I saw on yours. Once you feel those how do you stay steel...
The 997.1 GT3 or RS is the right starting point for a 3.9 -- and it will probably only improve as prices decline. I think suspension should be part of the plan for any track driven 3.9. I saw a very nicely set up example -- still stock 3.6 -- on Ohlins over the weekend at Thunderhill. Color me green with envy seeing how stable that bloody thing held through the turns.

Whatever Mr Porsche does with the next series of GT cars, presumably based on the 991, I hope the differentiation between the Carrera and the GT2 and GT3 cars includes conventional springs and brand name dampers. If we know the Porsche brakes are Brembo, the seats are Recaro, the tires are Michelin, an so on, why can't we know the dampers are Ohlins? Would it really stop the sale of even one GT3 if there was an option check box for Ohlins instead of PASM?

Awesome! Hope to see you out there!

I won't be at Laguna (my son's 1st birthday that weekend). But will be at the following event at Fontana.

That sounds about right. A mid-field Cup driver could well find that particular GT3 more of a challenge that appearances would suggest.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

The 997.1 GT3 or RS is the right starting point for a 3.9 -- and it will probably only improve as prices decline. I think suspension should be part of the plan for any track driven 3.9. I saw a very nicely set up example -- still stock 3.6 -- on Ohlins over the weekend at Thunderhill. Color me green with envy seeing how stable that bloody thing held through the turns.

Whatever Mr Porsche does with the next series of GT cars, presumably based on the 991, I hope the differentiation between the Carrera and the GT2 and GT3 cars includes conventional springs and brand name dampers. If we know the Porsche brakes are Brembo, the seats are Recaro, the tires are Michelin, an so on, why can't we know the dampers are Ohlins? Would it really stop the sale of even one GT3 if there was an option check box for Ohlins instead of PASM?
+1

And while we are here we might as well add a proper LSD, a "shut everything off and let me drive" button, the next GT3 to come without the Panamera interior, the engine (a hi reving flat 8) to be raced for at least a couple of seasons before it's fitted in the cars, -200 pounds, peace on earth and to end hunger in Africa.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
+1

And while we are here we might as well add a proper LSD, a "shut everything off and let me drive" button, the next GT3 to come without the Panamera interior, the engine (a hi reving flat 8) to be raced for at least a couple of seasons before it's fitted in the cars, -200 pounds, peace on earth and to end hunger in Africa.
Actualize swirled peas.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:57 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That sounds about right. A mid-field Cup driver could well find that particular GT3 more of a challenge that appearances would suggest.
Ah hah! I know that guy too. We spoke last week... he's likely doing a 3.9 too. Car isn't stock, has our exhaust, software etc.. and all of our solid links etc.. but the big deal is indeed those Ohlins! I want on Kermit....
Old 07-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Is it just me or is this car missing the seam on the front fender lip?
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Ah hah! I know that guy too. We spoke last week... he's likely doing a 3.9 too. Car isn't stock, has our exhaust, software etc.. and all of our solid links etc.. but the big deal is indeed those Ohlins! I want on Kermit....
By stock, I mean this was still a street car, not significantly lightened or turned into a track stripper. It had fresh Yoko slicks, surely worth considerable apex speeds, so along with the suspension tweaks, by "stock" I don't mean "showroom." : )

The gearing is different and clearly the exhaust and map tweak are doing something, but given it's completely outgunned by the 3.8 RS, it was doing sensationally well in the business of putting the power down.

He had several laps within two seconds of my best laps. I've never seen a "stock" 997.1 so quick in amateur hands. This guy does not profess years of experience and deep skills, just some good coaching and probably the benefit of not having years of bad habits to erase. This was his first ever time trial with PCA and he placed second overall! If/when he gets a 3.9 (or are you contemplating a retrofit factory 4.0 despite the cost of the crank?) he will really need to look at the whole car ... and this would be your first 3.9 with shorter 3rd, 4th, 5th? <expletive deleted>
Old 07-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Is it just me or is this car missing the seam on the front fender lip?
It's a GT3.

Quick Reply: A Simple Shark Werks Exhaust and LWF Turns into 3.9L Build