Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Possible GT3 down(Ryan Dunn) RIP

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:32 PM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I saw this on the news last night. I haven't heard anything about the passenger being identified. Keep on mind the show was called Jackass for a reason.
Roger Ebert already tried that one, didn't work out so well for him. Can we get off our high horses and realize that this is a tragic, albeit preventable, event that has resulted in the death of two human beings?

My guess is that most GT3 owners have a penchant for speed, and have probably broken the speed limit on a public road once or twice in their driving histories, thereby legally making themselves liable for any injury caused to passengers, other motorists, cyclists, or pedestrians. We have all acted like "jackasses" at some point, and probably had fun in so doing.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:22 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by micahbones
Roger Ebert already tried that one, didn't work out so well for him. Can we get off our high horses and realize that this is a tragic, albeit preventable, event that has resulted in the death of two human beings?

My guess is that most GT3 owners have a penchant for speed, and have probably broken the speed limit on a public road once or twice in their driving histories, thereby legally making themselves liable for any injury caused to passengers, other motorists, cyclists, or pedestrians. We have all acted like "jackasses" at some point, and probably had fun in so doing.
There is a gigantic difference between going faster than the speed limit and going 130 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Just because I go faster than local bureaucrats want me to go doesn't mean I am endangering all around.

Not claiming to be a saint but if I ever end up doing something like Ryan Dunn just did I will deserve all the scorn and condemnation coming to me.

BTW. I wonder if there was a second car involved? There seem to be no witnesses of the actual accident. Could have been a "race" where someone challenged Ryan or he challenged someone and adrenaline combined with alcohol led to complete failure in judgement. Would suck to be that guy and living the rest of one's life with this. That's just speculation, of course. And even if there was a second car there are absolutely no excuses for Mr. Dunn.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:11 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by micahbones
Have to agree with Chris R. and 911Slow about this matter, in addition to Bam Margera in his response to Roger Ebert's "jackass" tweet.
what's the story on the ebert tweet and bam's response?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

For those interested, TMZ now has photos of the car's remains on their website.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Dplus
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

There are also skid marks in the left lane.

Possible race? Swerve and bump? Errant deer in the road? Maybe they're from a tractor-trailer (evenly spaced) he came up on too fast and he swerved to miss? Maybe those marks were there last month.

I don't think we'll ever know more than we already do.

Still a bad decision, and still sad.

Darell

Last edited by Dplus; 12-06-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 169 Posts

While I am respectful of his family and friends at this difficult time it would be wrong to ignore the elements that contributed to his downfall. And wrong to miss the opportunity to reflect on our own driving and risk taking and the possible consequences. I showed the pictures to my 21 year old son and 17 year old daughter and we had a long talk about drinking and driving and street racing, etc. If I increased their odds than maybe some good came from this tragedy.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 PM
buzzone
Advanced

Default CARS KILL

Ban em' all. Only electric golf Karts under 50 mph should be allowed. Remember Cars Kill! Guns Kill, Cars kills, forks make people, fat, Alcohol Kills, etc, etc. You get in a car when driver was drinking.... take a chance. Some will get home, some wont! Very Sad... RIP... I still don't think he DESERVED anything. I was also told when I was paralyzed, that I deserved it... for riding a motorcycle at less than 25 MPH. Point is stuff does happen. Drinking sure didnt help, I guess. Sorry Ryan. Great Car.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:52 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man the speed he was traveling at...wHoA...
Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

it was probably the best/worst 20 seconds of his life.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:48 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Interesting that his buddy has been practicing a different life for a few years now, Steve-O a role model?!

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06...ss/?hpt=hp_bn5
Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dplus
There are also skid marks in the left lane.

Possible race? Swerve and bump? Errant deer in the road? Maybe they're from a tractor-trailer (evenly spaced) he came up on too fast and he swerved to miss? Maybe those marks were there last month.
On the 997 forum, someone reported that the second set of skidmarks were from the police cruiser brake-test to help assess the speed of the Dunn's GT3...
Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,360 Posts

What happened to ABS???
Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Devils Advocate
Intermediate

ABS isn't going to save you at 140mph when you make a abrupt turn, and rotate the car. Dunn's skid mark lines, from left to right, are driver front, passenger rear, passenger front. Unfortunately, nothing would be able to save him at that speed after he made that delayed decision to turn, especially with how impaired he would have been at a .196 BAC.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,360 Posts

I wasn't suggesting that ABS would or could save him; just curious as to the attittude at which he skidded resulting in no apparent ABS operation... hence the solid skid lines.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at the width of the marks. I think it's safe to assume the car was rotating sideways at that point.....thus the solid marks.

Seems obvious he came flying up on that right side exit at a buck forty, said "oh sh*t that's our exit", lifted (and most likely braked), which completely unloaded the rear tires at speed, and gave it steering input.

Recipe for disaster in any car, not just a GT3.

Quick Reply: Possible GT3 down(Ryan Dunn) RIP