Possible GT3 down(Ryan Dunn) RIP

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Umm, was it clear that he was drunk or are we all jumping to the conclusion that he was? A beer does not put you over the limit and i seriously doubt that there are many people here that have not had a drink and then driven in the next little while after.
If the guys was hammered, then yes, he's an *** and was reckless and killed himself and a passenger which is tragic. I just have not yet seen any proof that he was above the limit.
CR
+1
Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Tragic, but totally preventable. I had not heard of this person until this accident. Too bad this is the way he will be remembered.

Natural selection at it's worst.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:55 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Met him doing Gumball in 2003. I had a lot of really hard laughs with the guy. Got to know him a bit & about his troubled childhood, but in spite of that, he had an off the wall sense of humor, could make a room laugh & feel at ease. He was a guy who had great energy a quick wit & was loads of fun to be around. We all know the perils of drinking & driving, still many of us do it. Most are either smart enough to be overly catious, or lucky to avoid disaster. It is a shame that he was neither of those. He made a career out of making questionable decisions, and risking life & limb.

While evidence & toxicology tests have not revealed anything of yet, most signs point to driving, alcohol & excessive speed, - and if thats what happenend, it is a shame he went out like that. People who knew him will surely miss him, and people who enjoyed his humor and work will as well.

Many too will be unsympathetic to his death due to the circumstances that likely surround it. That said, 2 lives are lost, people are suffering & mourning because of it and it is probably not the time to get up on your soap boxes and say he deserved it & had it coming. Hopefully some of the millions of people he made laugh over the years will think twice about drinking and driving. Condolences to both families.

RIP Dunn.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm, was it clear that he was drunk or are we all jumping to the conclusion that he was? A beer does not put you over the limit and i seriously doubt that there are many people here that have not had a drink and then driven in the next little while after.
If the guys was hammered, then yes, he's an *** and was reckless and killed himself and a passenger which is tragic. I just have not yet seen any proof that he was above the limit.
CR
if not drunk then just a poor driving Jackass. Either way he can not harm anyone else.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:49 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE]Met him doing Gumball in 2003. I had a lot of really hard laughs with the guy. Got to know him a bit & about his troubled childhood, but in spite of that, he had an off the wall sense of humor, could make a room laugh & feel at ease. He was a guy who had great energy a quick wit & was loads of fun to be around. We all know the perils of drinking & driving, still many of us do it. Most are either smart enough to be overly catious, or lucky to avoid disaster. It is a shame that he was neither of those. He made a career out of making questionable decisions, and risking life & limb.

While evidence & toxicology tests have not revealed anything of yet, most signs point to driving, alcohol & excessive speed, - and if thats what happenend, it is a shame he went out like that. People who knew him will surely miss him, and people who enjoyed his humor and work will as well.

Many too will be unsympathetic to his death due to the circumstances that likely surround it. That said, 2 lives are lost, people are suffering & mourning because of it and it is probably not the time to get up on your soap boxes and say he deserved it & had it coming. Hopefully some of the millions of people he made laugh over the years will think twice about drinking and driving. Condolences to both families.

RIP Dunn./QUOTE]

Cannot agree more with this statement. I am sure a lot of people were thinking the same thing I was when I saw pics of him drinking, then the accident. BUT, there is a time and place to air your opinions and agenda. There is a group of family and friends who just lost someone close to them. Take the higher rode, be respectful....
Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

[QUOTE}Cannot agree more with this statement. I am sure a lot of people were thinking the same thing I was when I saw pics of him drinking, then the accident. BUT, there is a time and place to air your opinions and agenda. There is a group of family and friends who just lost someone close to them. Take the higher rode, be respectful....[/QUOTE]

I think anyone could post a pic of one of us with a beer and then one of a car accident we were in and say "drunk *******" but without a time lapse or even an idea of how many drinks he had, it tough to do.

I'm surprised by how many people are so callous about this accident. Karma is a funny thing though...
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Take the higher rode, be respectful....
Ironic that you are using this quote to describe a member of the cast of "Jackass".... Would you determine their humor as "taking the high road" or "respectful"...

I really enjoyed that show and thought those guys were hilarious - but don't be surprised that others base their opinions of the individual on his public persona...

Still it is very sad. I am frustrated that we have lost another auto enthusiast.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...124184189.html
"April Margara also said Dunn was a fast driver and that she told him to slow down "everyday" following a bad accident he was involved in more than a decade ago.

"He drove too fast and I yelled at him all the time about that," she said."

Some people choose the track and endanger only themselves.

Some people choose public roads at 2:30 AM after ingesting alcohol and endanger every other innocent driver sharing the road.

Every bit of evidence so far shows indicates yet another winner of the Darwin Awards.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to agree with Chris R. and 911Slow about this matter, in addition to Bam Margera in his response to Roger Ebert's "jackass" tweet.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

This is an unbelievably sad event. Don't speculate, don't disrespect, just remember and mourn. There, but for the grace….etc.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savyboy
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...124184189.html
"April Margara also said Dunn was a fast driver and that she told him to slow down "everyday" following a bad accident he was involved in more than a decade ago.

"He drove too fast and I yelled at him all the time about that," she said."

Some people choose the track and endanger only themselves.

Some people choose public roads at 2:30 AM after ingesting alcohol and endanger every other innocent driver sharing the road.

Every bit of evidence so far shows indicates yet another winner of the Darwin Awards.
Agreed.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek

Cannot agree more with this statement. I am sure a lot of people were thinking the same thing I was when I saw pics of him drinking, then the accident.
BUT, there is a time and place to air your opinions and agenda. Take the higher rode, be respectful....
Jackass ... it's Road
Old 06-22-2011, 12:28 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Just saw a report on tmz.com

Police reconstructed the crash site. Car hit guardrail, and flew off the road. Cops say car was doing 130mph (not sure how they could know)----but that it was also the worst crash that many of them ever saw.

Drinking + Driving + 130mph = death wish

RIP

PS---just saw some stuff that he was actively involved in different forms of motorsports.

He had to know the risks of doing what he most likely did. Throw in the alcohol to cloud judgement, and a tragic event occurs.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

CR
I was about to post something like that.

How can I pass judgement on what happened if I wasn't there? Media stories in the immediate aftermath of an event are always full of garbage. Even Discovery channel specials three years after the fact can be debated.

Let the police and the coroner investigate and reach an informed conclusion. Then based on that we can say something.

Either he was drunk and going crazy fast or simply going crazy fast or maybe even not so crazy fast. I wasn't there, I don't know.

Pointless deaths. The only certain thing we know now.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:40 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE]Ironic that you are using this quote to describe a member of the cast of "Jackass".... Would you determine their humor as "taking the high road" or "respectful".../QUOTE]

Where exactly did I describe Ryan Dunn as "respectful"?

I was stating for us, the general public, to be respectful and take the higher road.

Quick Reply: Possible GT3 down(Ryan Dunn) RIP