Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Getting ready for first DE in the GT3 this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Bobby! Car looks great.

Be sure to complete the look with the full Stand21 treatment: suit (complete with blood type, name, and flag), custom helmet, matching shoes, etc.

Bonus points for a cool suit.

You instructor will be curled up into a little ball.

Have fun!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:31 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I am betting your instructor is going to be scared ****less when he see's your car and finds out its your second outing ever
when i did evo auto-x school last year there was a guy there who just got into pro grade M3 car, tubed frame, cage, plastic rolled fenders, crazy power, looked pretty much like a nascar car.
no one including instructors could even start rolling that thing without stalling it first. then on a course it would usually spin when on 2nd gear it would hit full boost.

as of this car and first DE event I would pay more attention to suspension setup than to placing stickers on it. less attention is always better.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:02 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I remember my 1st ever de at th with my old 99 996. I got my *** kicked by every Honda civic on track. Instructor was a nice guy though. He gave me a ride in his car for one session and showed me line/where to brake and keep car in optimum power band. Best instruction I ever had wo driving. Mike
Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 PM
peer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

well...we're waiting on how it went!
Did you win the DE?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:03 AM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peer
well...we're waiting on how it went!
Did you win the DE?
Yes, first place! I got a bonus for only getting two wheels off the track.

A highlight was getting taken for a ride in it by John Lewis, one of Porsche's instructors who does coaching to GT3 cup drivers. It was eye opening to see what he was able to do with the car. He literally lapped a fully race prepared Cayman.

All in all a great time. For all the gloom and doom you hear about how tricky it is to drive a GT3, once I got comfortable after a few laps, I realized that the car is pretty forgiving as long as you follow the rules and treat it right.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for first DE in the GT3 this weekend!