Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Le Mans prototypes weigh 2000lb

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Le Mans prototypes weigh 2000lb

Both the the Audi R18 and the Peugeot weigh only 2000lb. Compare that to the 4000lb Ford GT40 of '67...

Notice that this light weight may come at a price... the cars seem pretty fragile, as seen by McNish and Rockenfeller incidents. The design is quite good from a driver safety POV, with the fragile light bits absorbing well the impact, but the car is trashed.

McNish Le Mans crash
Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

That is the whole point; trash the car, save the driver.
You can't cheat physics..
Old 06-12-2011, 12:55 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
That is the whole point; trash the car, save the driver.
You can't cheat physics..
I'm sure most in this forum understand that. However... if you push the design to an extreme, i. e., rigid driver cocoon, connected to super-light, brittle, fragile suspension bits and ancillaries, any little nudge will destroy the car and take it from the race... That seems it is what's happening with Audi this year, pre-race and during the race.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's happened to Audi... were two very bad crashes.

even if the cars weighed 4K lbs they would be out

Last edited by MarkD; 06-12-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-2011, 01:18 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MarkD
what's happened to Audi... were two very bad crashes.

even of the cars weighed 4K lbs they would be out
I am not arguing in favor of heavier cars, mind you.

I argue though that this design crossed a threshold into more fragility.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I am not arguing in favor of heavier cars, mind you.

I argue though that this design crossed a threshold into more fragility.
The point of the 'fragility' is to dissipate the kinetic energy rather than transfer said energy to the driver via a rigid structure. This is a reason why the driver mortality rate of modern race car crashes has dropped substantially compared to crashes of only a few decades ago.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:39 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
The point of the 'fragility' is to dissipate the kinetic energy rather than transfer said energy to the driver via a rigid structure. This is a reason why the driver mortality rate of modern race car crashes has dropped substantially compared to crashes of only a few decades ago.
We all know that, thanks! The point is Audi seems to have crossed an inflection point, beyond which its cars seem to disintegrate, where before, equally good crumple zones did not.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Had McNish and Rockenfeller been driving older cars they most likely would have remained more intact. Crumpled beyond belief and thoroughly undrivable but more intact. The drivers would also have likely suffered much more serious injuries as well.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

McNish's car:

http://ca.jalopnik.com/5810996/first...hotos/gallery/

Rockenfeller's shunt:
Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Carrara
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crash any car into a wall at 100+ mph and the car will be destroyed. The difference here is the parts that were going to be inevitably destroyed broke away as they should, and the cockpit was intact. Do that with any other car, and the result may look better, but don't expect the cockpit to look as pristine as the Audis'.

There's no point in Audi trying to engineer a prototype that would stay intact after a 100+ mph impact, because the car would be totaled regardless, and it's easier to reach the driver as well if the parts break away.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:21 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed on improved safety for the driver, but certainly not for spectators.... wouldn't want a whole lot of those CF panels hitting race officials or spectators and as was highlighted in the first accident when the cameraman was being chased by a stray wheel. We were lucky not to have 20 spectators in hospital or dead after the first crash.

Maybe they need to rethink track safety with such fragile cars. In F1 they restrain wheels for this reason after the death of an official in Melbourne a few years ago...
Old 06-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

McNish is a seasoned pro, but that was a stupid move with zero likelihood of a clean pass. If he didn't see the Ferrari (Rockenfeller?) he wasn't looking. But there was no way the Ferrari could be expected to anticipate (or see in his mirrors) the second Audi would try to take two positions into an apex. Bonehead move and I imagine McNish is kicking himself (and lucky to have the opportunity to do so.)

As for lightweight cars, if the Audi had a metal body (or solid material of some composition) the rear wheel would have been shielded, it would not have done the open-wheeler lift-off because it wouldn't have been able to contact the back of the Ferrari, so the two cars would have locked sides and done the usually dosey doe slow-down and off.

There's always plenty of "maybe's" to go around, so maybe the Ferrari had previously yielded the line under these conditions, maybe there was already evidence the Ferrari driver knew the Audi was there, maybe the Audi ran out of aero/grip/brakes or any number of other circumstances. Racing.

As for design safety, the wheel carriers are already captive, but if a wheel completely self-destructs or destroys the tether, it can still escape. I think the chasing wheel was still complete with suspension arms, so the entire quarter of the car was in pieces -- I doubt the tether would do much good with those forces.

All that said, I'm pressed by the "survival cell" design of the Audi. I think that's the future of motorsports (it's already the required standard for offshore racers) and it's just a matter of time before street cars adopt this approach.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Both the the Audi R18 and the Peugeot weigh only 2000lb. Compare that to the 4000lb Ford GT40 of '67...
The Mk1 (1968, 69) and Mk2 GT40s (1966) weighed about 2500 lbs. The Mk4 (1967) may have weighed more, but I doubt they were 4000lbs. Where did you get your information?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jon70
The Mk1 (1968, 69) and Mk2 GT40s (1966) weighed about 2500 lbs. The Mk4 (1967) may have weighed more, but I doubt they were 4000lbs. Where did you get your information?
I was also surprised, but heard that on a David Despain interview of Carroll Shelby. Perhaps he was in error.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:07 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
McNish is a seasoned pro, but that was a stupid move with zero likelihood of a clean pass. If he didn't see the Ferrari (Rockenfeller?) he wasn't looking. But there was no way the Ferrari could be expected to anticipate (or see in his mirrors) the second Audi would try to take two positions into an apex. Bonehead move and I imagine McNish is kicking himself (and lucky to have the opportunity to do so.)

As for lightweight cars, if the Audi had a metal body (or solid material of some composition) the rear wheel would have been shielded, it would not have done the open-wheeler lift-off because it wouldn't have been able to contact the back of the Ferrari, so the two cars would have locked sides and done the usually dosey doe slow-down and off.

There's always plenty of "maybe's" to go around, so maybe the Ferrari had previously yielded the line under these conditions, maybe there was already evidence the Ferrari driver knew the Audi was there, maybe the Audi ran out of aero/grip/brakes or any number of other circumstances. Racing.

As for design safety, the wheel carriers are already captive, but if a wheel completely self-destructs or destroys the tether, it can still escape. I think the chasing wheel was still complete with suspension arms, so the entire quarter of the car was in pieces -- I doubt the tether would do much good with those forces.

All that said, I'm pressed by the "survival cell" design of the Audi. I think that's the future of motorsports (it's already the required standard for offshore racers) and it's just a matter of time before street cars adopt this approach.
Finally someone sees the issues.

Quick Reply: Le Mans prototypes weigh 2000lb