Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Fire extinguisher mount for .2 with GT2 seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:59 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Fire extinguisher mount for .2 with GT2 seats?

I was informed that neither the Sharkwerks nor the BK mounts work on the passenger side GT2 seats. And I simply don't want the FE mounted on the driver's seat. So what are my options short of having a mount custom fabricated to work with the BK sub bar and around all the electronic crap beneath the .2 passenger's side seats?

Does anyone know if the Speed Tactics mount works with the passenger GT2 seat on a 7.2 GT3?

If so, I plan on ordering them and drilling holes to accommodate the same Safecraft PB2 halon FE that Sharkwerks uses in their kit.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

oh nevermind... for some reason I thought PCA events required FE's, but looks like they're just recommended rather than required.

So no FE for me then... if the car catches fire, I'm going to run for it
Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Fire Extinguishers in every car I've ever owned. In the 19 years I've been driving I've never needed to use one once. But as a youth growing up I watched my father, twice, and my mother, once, put out fires in other cars while driving. Each time there were individuals in the vehicles that had wrecked that would not have gotten out in time. Both of my parents have been heralded in the local Long Beach paper because of this.

Don't let something as tiny as mounting accessories stop you from carrying one in your car. Buy one and put it in the trunk of your car. Trust me seeing how they really save lives is a piece of mind I can live with.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Don't most mount them to the roll bar? I thought Sharkwerks had a mount for the GT2 Sport Bucket seats too?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:29 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by masmole
oh nevermind... for some reason I thought PCA events required FE's, but looks like they're just recommended rather than required.

So no FE for me then... if the car catches fire, I'm going to run for it
I strongly recommend. Many times it's to help put out fires in another car. Twice in the last 3 years I've used mine to put out fires in other peoples car. Once at Summit Point, the other at VIR. While not big, they do suppress the flames enough until help arrives.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:13 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased my FE and mounting bracket from Alex at Sharkwerks. SW did the install as well. Like you, I wasn't too keen on having my FE under my feet either. But, I sucked it up and did it because it's required for racing. And you know what... I don't really mind it at all, now that it's there.

I feel a lot better too, knowing that my FE is within easy arms reach if/when I ever need it.

Originally, Alex installed his own SW mount bracket. Unfortunately, it didn't fit with the GT2 carbon buckets, so he replaced it with the Brey-Krause bracket. I'm very happy!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i have the Sharkwerks mount on my GT2 driver side seat. I love it. Never need to take it out as you do not notice it. Very classy piece. Paint the bottle to match the color of the car. Take it out when not at the tack if really annoyed by it....

For those who have it mounted on the roll bar behind the seat: are you on glue? not an easy place to reach for when under panic situation. Especially upside down strapped in.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 06-09-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i have the Sharkwerks mount on my GT2 driver side seat. I love it. Never need to take it out as you do not notice it. Very classy piece. Paint the bottle to match the color of the car. Take it out when not at the tack if really annoyed by it....

For those who have it mounted and the roll bar behind the seat: are you on glue? not an easy place to reach for when under panic situation. Especially upside down strapped in.
Yeah, Alex said there is some issue with the 997.2 car's seat rails or something. The older cars are fine with his bracket.

Couldn't agree more on your comments about having a FE mounted behind you. I'd only do this if it was a plumbed auto system.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I will jar a fully plumbed system but mite get a portable mounted on rollbar by passenger since I don't have a passenger seat. As one said it's nice to have one if someone else's car is on fire and u could help them. Mike
Old 06-08-2011, 09:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

I like mine out of the way on the roll bar with a quick release..
I will only use it to put out other cars or myself.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Ok then, maybe I will install an FE in my car. Still don't want it on the driver's seat though. So... back to my original inquiry, can anyone confirm if the Speed Tactics FE mount I posted will work with the GT2 seat on the passenger side?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:30 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by masmole
Ok then, maybe I will install an FE in my car. Still don't want it on the driver's seat though. So... back to my original inquiry, can anyone confirm if the Speed Tactics FE mount I posted will work with the GT2 seat on the passenger side?
It will work on either side, however, it doesn't slide with the seat like the Sharky mount. In fact I so dislike my SpeedTactics mount (silver, new in bag) I will sell it to anybody that wants it for $40 including US shipping. Including the FE (chrome) $180. Email me with your address and you can mail me a check.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:59 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

I think roll bar solution is the best since it keeps the FE out of the way like Peter said... I'm thinking of getting one, the bills just keep piling on

Quick Reply: Fire extinguisher mount for .2 with GT2 seats?