Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Road Atlanta Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:37 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slee051
However, the MPSCs felt like they had much more grip overall, especially on turn-in.

Thanks for the answers

Just a point of clarification, in your above comment, are you referring to the 19" OE MPSC+ tires or are you referring to real 18" MPSCs?

If you were running with the 2 cars that you mentioned and were able to keep up in the corners, then that is a pretty good endorsement.

Your turn-in and highway driving comments, combined with by own 5 minute drive home on these tires after getting them mounted experience, I think has me convinced that basically the tire's sidewall is not as stiff (in addition to the extra tread depth) as the OE Cup+ tires (thus the comfort factor / turn-in feel) and yet the outer tread compound, once set, seems to hold at least as well as the OE Cup+ tires but does not have the stick of the real MPSC (which would be expected).

I will experiment with different psi settings front and rear to see if I can improve the 'feel' thing. It maybe that a slightly higher front hot psi (maybe not) will improve turn-in - or it may just be a tire with a softer sidewall but with good grip once you get there - if this is the case, higher front camber settings will likely help a lot.

What is your front and rear camber settings?

Great feedback - thanks.

Paul

Last edited by 997gt3north; 06-09-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM
slee051
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Thanks for the answers

Just a point of clarification, in your above comment, are you referring to the 19" OE MPSC+ tires or are you referring to real 18" MPSCs?

If you very running with the 2 cars that you mentioned and were able to keep up in the corners, then that is a pretty good endorsement.

Your turn-in and highway driving comments, combined with by own 5 minute drive home on these tires after getting them mounted experience, I think has me convinced that basically the tire's sideway is not as stiff (in addition to the extra tread depth) as the OE Cup+ tires (thus the comfort factor / turn-in feel) and yet the outer tread compound, once set, seems to hold at least as well as the OE Cup+ tires but not at the stick of the real MPSC (which would be expected).

I will experiment with different psi settings front and rear to see if I can improve the 'feel' thing. It maybe that a slightly higher front temp (maybe not) will improve turn-in - or it may just be a tire with a softer sidewall but with good grip once you get there - if this is the case, higher front camber settings will likely help a lot.

What is your front and rear camber settings?

Great feedback - thanks.

Paul

No problem, Paul!

I was comparing to the OEM 19" MPSC+.

My camber settings are 2.1 Front and 1.8 Rear. I told the shop to set it up for 60% track 40% street use. Great idea - maybe I will experiment with more negative next time.

Definitely let us know your feedback on these tires too as you experiment!

- Steven
Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Steven's comments are consistent with what I "think" I experienced at the track. I'm the guy who was running the MPSC's. My set-up is essentially identical to Steven's (we both had the alignment done at Goldcrest) and the car's were relatively equal in performance over the weekend. My fastest time over the weekend was 1:40 and without traffic, could turn pretty consistent times in that range. As it got hotter and the tires a little more greasy, I lost about 1.5-2 sec a lap.

I have a set of SuperSports, but, haven't really tried them out yet. They are on my OEM wheels and I don't really drive on the street, so, haven't gotten too much feel for them yet.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slee051
No problem, Paul!

I was comparing to the OEM 19" MPSC+.

My camber settings are 2.1 Front and 1.8 Rear. I told the shop to set it up for 60% track 40% street use. Great idea - maybe I will experiment with more negative next time.

Definitely let us know your feedback on these tires too as you experiment!

- Steven
That's a good setup for your needs from my experience. You may want to try just increasing the front camber as it is the rears that really wear the inside edges. The front of the car is so light in comparison that more negative camber is almost 'free' as it doesn't really increase wear at all in the front.

I also meant to add that I thought your shop stiffening the front bar was a good setup idea while your speed grows - some of the fastest drivers set the car up that way as it really inspires confidence about getting hard on the throttle during trackout.

My setup is -2.7f, -2.3r with upgraded GT2 bar on soft in rear and front bar 1 from stiff. I may even dial it back to -2.5f, -2.1r for better temps across the rear of the tire (even on R6s)
Old 06-09-2011, 02:24 PM
slee051
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
That's a good setup for your needs from my experience. You may want to try just increasing the front camber as it is the rears that really wear the inside edges. The front of the car is so light in comparison that more negative camber is almost 'free' as it doesn't really increase wear at all in the front.

I also meant to add that I thought your shop stiffening the front bar was a good setup idea while your speed grows - some of the fastest drivers set the car up that way as it really inspires confidence about getting hard on the throttle during trackout.

My setup is -2.7f, -2.3r with upgraded GT2 bar on soft in rear and front bar 1 from stiff. I may even dial it back to -2.5f, -2.1r for better temps across the rear of the tire (even on R6s)

Great info, thanks!!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Don't have the capability yet. My "list" of upgrades in order are:

1. Toe links/bump steer - will be installed next Tuesday at Goldcrest
2. GT2 seats, roll bar, harness and HANS (July/August)
3. Traqmate and video (Christmas, if my wife hasn't thrown me out of the house)
4. Buy RS and start over
Ha! I like your thinking here. However, if you're serious about item #4, you should re-order it to item #1. I too wish that I had ponied up some more money and gotten an RS instead. After having to install the GT2 seats, it wasn't much more $$$.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 PM
jenk12m
Banned

It keeps eating away at him to get the RS, I think he has the bug already
Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

Sounds like a fun weekend. Glad to hear Ron Yarab was out there getting some seat time again. Who was driving the 87 car?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Steve Adams (one of the principals at Goldcrest) was driving the 87 car and Ron was driving the "old" 86.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:24 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

SNIP- I'm convinced that the R888 is a compromise tire for the GT3. After running the Sport Cups this weekend and the R888's my previous 2 DE's, I can say that there is a noticeable difference in grip and performance. The price difference is worth it IMHO. Kudos to Michelin...
Lewis, this is info I personally really need. I was always under the impression that the MPSC N Spec stock tire was not that grippy and just a glorified PS2. Just hearsay as I've never driven these tires. However the (Rennlist Official Most Hated Tire) Toyo R888 are the tires I've been using the most on my 18" wheels. I have a new car coming this late summer and I've been thinking of possibly just using stock 19" sized wheels with MPSC N spec tires.

Just so I am not misunderstanding you.....since you have experience with both R888 and MPSC on the same car, same wheels and same track.....you are finding that the MPSC N spec tires are better in grip and longevity than the R888? Although the MPSC cost a few hundred more than the R888 you say the cost is justified?

thanks so much for the feedback!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Mike, as much as I hate to admit it, IMHO, there is a signinficant difference in grip and longevity between the R888 and MPSC on the GT3. And believe me, I really didn't want to believe it as that makes Peter, Randy, et al. right

So, while I can't speak for the other P-car models, I will say that on my car, the difference is noticeable and the MPSC's are worth the difference in price. Luckily, I've been trolling on a couple of other forums and have found used tires that are holding up admirably.

Hope that helps...

ldj
Old 06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Mike, as much as I hate to admit it, IMHO, there is a signinficant difference in grip and longevity between the R888 and MPSC on the GT3. And believe me, I really didn't want to believe it as that makes Peter, Randy, et al. right

So, while I can't speak for the other P-car models, I will say that on my car, the difference is noticeable and the MPSC's are worth the difference in price. Luckily, I've been trolling on a couple of other forums and have found used tires that are holding up admirably.

Hope that helps...

ldj
Thanks...sure helps me a lot...thanks!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:52 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Sometimes you just have to experience things for yourself, even though we tried to tell you.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,626 Likes on 754 Posts

Sure tried..

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta Review