Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Road Atlanta Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:55 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Road Atlanta Review

Well, had a great time at Road Atlanta this weekend and it was great catching up with my fellow Rennlisters. The track was crowded, but, amazingly, no incidents that I am aware of. Peachstate PCA did a wonderful job. Other than the traffic, the biggest challenges of the weekend was the heat and the theft (first time for me) of my Mac's Tie-Down Straps.

I continue to become more comfortable with the car and understanding its (and my) capabilities. The learning process on how much speed to carry into and then exiting a turn is loads of fun and the old adage is true - track time is your friend.

Many thanks to Mike (Jenk12M) and Ron Yareb for their tips for going around the track faster. Also, want to thank the Steve, Bob, Adam and the crew at Goldcrest Motorsports for the support at the track this weekend. Absolutely awesome and these guys continue to go beyond the call to assist us in the track community - the pic is the setup provided by Goldcrest at the track. The silver Cup car is the old Farnbacher Loles 87 car which won the Rolex Championship in 2009. Also at the track was its sister car, number 86.

Final observations - I'm convinced that the R888 is a compromise tire for the GT3. After running the Sport Cups this weekend and the R888's my previous 2 DE's, I can say that there is a noticeable difference in grip and performance. The price difference is worth it IMHO. Also, a friend of mine ran the SuperSports this weekend and I have to say the tire held up incredibly with only a slight edge in grip going to the Sport Cups. Kudos to Michelin...
Attached Images  

Last edited by ATL Fahrer; 06-08-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite the heat I had a great time. Lewis, I'm glad I could help you go around the track a little faster, now I have to get myself faster but I had fun chasing the white cup car thats missing from that group shot. Sorry about your straps, that's the 1st time I've heard of someone getting their stuff stolen at road Atlanta. That's where it's great to have Ron with Discovery Parts at the track.

+1000 for the crew and service that gold crest did at the track. I've never had had car serviced at their shop but they left a spot open for me in their tint and did more for me then I could ever imagine. They checked tire pressures every time, as soon as I came off the track. Did a track alignment right there at the track to give me some more toe-in, in the rear and the car felt so good after the alignment I ended running my fastest time of the weekend my very next session. They also clean off your car after each session and provided lunch, A/C, and just awesome service all weekend. THANK YOU GOLD CREST!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:04 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes Kodo's to Bob, Steve, Alan, Adam et al. Great help guys both on track on at the shop!

Hugh
Old 06-08-2011, 04:16 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Hugh, it was great to meet you this past weekend. You have a sweet Cup Car. Congrats on the purchase!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM
slee051
Intermediate

What a great weekend.

Lewis - great seeing you again!

Michael and Hugh - great meeting you!

The Pilot Super Sports were great all weekend, targeting a hot pressure of 32-33psi all around. The Goldcrest guys did a swaybar adjustment the week before, and the setup was just great (one-from-stiffest in the front, full soft in the rear).

It was an absolute blast following Lewis and Robert (Meteor Grey GT3) and playing with the Gallardo out there.

- Steven
Old 06-08-2011, 05:43 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Steven that's a great shot of I think all 2010 gt3's that were in your group. It was great to meet you and see you posting on rennlist

Last edited by jenk12m; 06-08-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,621 Likes on 752 Posts

+1000 for the crew and service that gold crest did at the track. I've never had had car serviced at their shop but they left a spot open for me in their tint and did more for me then I could ever imagine. They checked tire pressures every time, as soon as I came off the track. Did a track alignment right there at the track to give me some more toe-in, in the rear and the car felt so good after the alignment I ended running my fastest time of the weekend my very next session. They also clean off your car after each session and provided lunch, A/C, and just awesome service all weekend. THANK YOU GOLD CREST!!!
That's just awesome.
Guys like Gold Crest being there during the weekend makes it just more comfortable.
Knowing some good Porsche knowledgeable crews are present on the track feels like a nice warm blanky on a cold winter night..
Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup - great meeting you guys and hanging out. And we all went home shiny side up!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:15 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like fun! Always great to meet forum folks in real life. Glad you had a great time!

What kind of POS steals a man's tie-down straps? That is just the action of a scumbag. Hope someone identifies the animal and beats his *** with the hook end of the straps!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:11 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 439 Posts

Sounds like a fun weekend! I'm sure it's great to have the guys that normally do the work on your car to be at the track with you. It's like having your own pit crew

So you're saying the MPSC is better than R888?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Ahem... this thread is in desperate need of some in-car video and telemetry!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 AM
slee051
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Steven that's a great shot of I think all 2010 gt3's that were in your group. It was great to meet you and see you posting on rennlist
Hey Michael - my avatar pic is actually from the Chin event in April. But that's funny you mention that - we did have those color GT3s in Group 3!

Lewis - That's awful that someone stole your tie-downs, how low is that!?!

BTW, who's coming back to Road Atlanta with Chin on 7/30-31? Registration just opened the other night.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Ahem... this thread is in desperate need of some in-car video and telemetry!
Don't have the capability yet. My "list" of upgrades in order are:

1. Toe links/bump steer - will be installed next Tuesday at Goldcrest
2. GT2 seats, roll bar, harness and HANS (July/August)
3. Traqmate and video (Christmas, if my wife hasn't thrown me out of the house)
4. Buy RS and start over
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slee051

The Pilot Super Sports were great all weekend, targeting a hot pressure of 32-33psi all around. The Goldcrest guys did a swaybar adjustment the week before, and the setup was just great (one-from-stiffest in the front, full soft in the rear).
- Steven
Any more feedback on the tires?
Did you run those pressures both front and rear?
Did you try higher in the rear?
How did the sidewalls feel?
How would you rate cornering grip levels versus cars around you?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 AM
slee051
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
How did the sidewalls feel?

Thanks
(Preface the below comments by saying I'm an intermediate-level driver still learning this car, so your results may vary! As a reference, my best actual time at Road Atlanta last weekend was 1:43 with a theoretical best of 1:42, so I'm not fast and not pushing the car to the limits. I still need to drive it home at the end of the weekend...)

I've done 3 events with the Super Sports, and think they're a great compromise tire. Pretty quiet and comfortable on the highway, and can still pull 1.3g lateral according to the Smartycam data.

However, the MPSCs felt like they had much more grip overall, especially on turn-in. If I trailered the car and didn't mind the extra cost and faster wear, I like the performance of the MPSCs better (as you would expect from a track/competition tire). But, overall I'm very happy with the Super Sports, especially b/c I don't have a trailer and drive the car to the events.

One change that worked well for me was having Goldcrest set the swaybars for more understeer (Front bar at one-from-stiffest, Rear bar at softest). It now feels much more safe and stable since there's reduced grip compared to the MPSCs.

- I did target 32-33 hot all around as evenly as possible

- I did not

- I didn't seem to have any problems keeping up with other 997.2 GT3s, one running Sport Cups and one with the Corsa system.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta Review