I hate the GT2RS (Shark Week)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs down I hate the GT2RS (Shark Week)

Gentlebunnies, this week was about on-par with Shark Week for us (unless you count the Montreal F1 race we're going to next week). You don't often get to see and play with a 2011 997 GT2RS let alone a second one the very next day. Then throw in a pair of 2011 MK2 GT3RS' and a MK1RS to boot and we're starting to think if Alex does get his **** back into the water to go surfing he might be lucky enough to see a White Shark in the red triangle too.

The first one was a White-themed version which came in for a bit of track and safety prep. including our Fire Extinguisher kit (and a roll bar) as well as the TechArt noselift system to make it easier to navigate steep inclines/declines (such as getting on to a trailer). The 2RS' do not have a noselift option from the factory although you can get any level of red/carbon you want for an extra 50K in options! The real kick in the pants was the additional power from the EVOMSit software that we installed and tuned for 91 octane. Does it need more power? No but with the LWF and horrid 91 octane we have here it's amazing what some additional tuning can do for it. Not for the feint-hearted....

Fire extinguisher installed on driver's side:

I had driven a modified 997 Turbo hours before I tried the 997 GT2RS, so I was the only one lucky enough to offer a before and after comparison between these two cars. I sat both as a passenger and driver in each car, although both were modified by the time I was passed the keys.

As a passenger, my first impression of the EVOMSit tuned 997 GT2RS was "Okay, this thing is dang quick". It feels much like a 6-speed 997 Turbo with an EVT-700+ upgrade package (the weight being the key difference). I wish it had some higher octane unleaded fuel rather than poor California's 91.

EVOMSit software being uploaded:

The car still feels especially pokey in the 4000+ RPM range, around 5000 RPMs the second rush of power comes in and it honestly does feel like it's about to take flight. Almost like a sequential turbo (guessing this is a combination of the variocams and intake).

The car is pretty loud at WOT to be honest, I would not change the exhaust on this car if it was my own (it has an excellent tone and runs extremely clean, why change it?).

It was by far one of the fastest cars I've been a passenger in, definitely top-5. From a couple second and third gear blips, it's obvious the car would pull extremely hard past 60 MPH and as it pins you back, it's clear it won't stop until you chicken out and let go of the gas. You really would need a race track or airport runway to push the car properly, it would be crazy to think otherwise. The road around you becomes a blur and you giggle a bit, it's just so impossibly fast for a nearly stock car.

Next I had a chance to drive. By now I was drooling a bit, but my first observation (at about 5 MPH) was that the PCCBs seemed even touchier than the Turbo's, maybe it was the mileage, but it was just dead-on near instant stopping at low speeds. The clutch was easy to use, just like driving a 997 GT3RS. Having just come from a modified 997 Turbo (~600 HP) with Bilstein coilovers, RSS sway bars and other bits, the steering still felt much lighter on the GT2RS. I could immediately tell that the car has considerably less weight over the front wheels. The lag is not bad. At worst as bad as the modified Turbo, but it felt peppier on spool-up. I wish I had more time behind the wheel. The power is really impressive, I think this car would be a heck of a handful on a track compared to a GT3RS.

The throttle response, especially at low and mid-throttle loads is perfect, kudos to Todd @ EVOMS, I know he spends a lot of time on these settings.

If you have a GT2RS and somehow it's not fast enough, try to find someone that can offer a ride in the EVOMSit modified equivalent, I think you'd be shocked at how hard this thing can pull.

The second one was a Silver/black version which was incredibly decked out with carbon. The European Roll-bar, our Fire Extinguisher kit and RSS suspension links were all installed giving it a bit more safety and adjustability. Oh and it was out with the EVOMSit flashing station yet again. One thing you really notice (without even moving the car) is that the responsiveness is upped a notch to match the single mass flywheel. More aggressive and although not a GT3 it's still snappy as one can get on a turbo platform.

Although wrapped up, you can make out the very special interior and our FE in this one:

Factory Euro rollbar:

EVOMSit tuning:

Heading home:

The GT3RS' that came by this week all went through similar programs starting with our exhaust, the very same RSS suspension links and of course a 91-octane EVOMSit tune. We absolutely hate our jobs. It's Friday and past 7pm so go turn off your PCs but before you do we figured we'd share a few of these Carcharodon carcharias' and Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos sightings from ze Shark Werks folks.

RSS 930 rollbar being installed:

Super-rare even in these waters was a 997 C4S Targa which came in for ze Shark Werks exhaust. Oh and the EVOMSit flashing station got some action too:

Flashing Targa style:

Cool lines:

Re-using factory tips:

A stage II 997 Turbo being flashed:

Fridays can be a bit crazy, and this Pumpkin showed up between track duty for a quick visit:

The black and silver 2011 3RS that we had built for the One-lap of America event came back and is getting a few more track-themed goodies such as an upgraded LSD from Guard and the Brembo Type III rotors. The factory PCCB's are a pretty penny so for extended track use it's more cost-effective to save them and switch to steel. We'll show you guys the weight differences later.

Are you guys still here?
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter
Old 06-04-2011, 12:29 AM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drool!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:59 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for sharing Dan. I don't remember if I came in this week or not but you guys did seem rather busy. See you in Montreal next week pal.

PS I'm looking forward to me old n' rusty ghetto-yellowbird!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:03 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

great shop and clients!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:04 AM
jenk12m
Banned

You guys have a miserable life
Old 06-04-2011, 04:31 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

That shot is magic!
Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
Old 06-04-2011, 04:44 AM
1198r
Pro

You seriously need to open a shark pool in UAE!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Great Stuff!!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:04 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

Your collection is great stuff!

Originally Posted by jpcourt
Great Stuff!!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:09 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

that white 2rs looks premiered
Old 06-04-2011, 05:03 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Wow! It seems like a good week.

If I was working for you guys, I'd put a bed in the office and live there
Old 06-04-2011, 06:27 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
that white 2rs looks premiered
And the 3RS too.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jenk12m
You guys have a miserable life
Just what I was thinking.....
Old 06-04-2011, 08:57 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ELMEL
And the 3RS too.
yeah, i was blinded by the first one.
beautiful wrapping. love it!

knights in white satin.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8"][/URL]
Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

I wonder how long before it yellows...

Quick Reply: I hate the GT2RS (Shark Week)