Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Weekend at Buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:00 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
BW is a great, fun track. You Nor Cal pussies are spoiled/pampered by Laguna, Sears, and T-Hill. You just have to know where the bumps are and dodge them. The worst is the R-hander leaving the Bustop. Either take it wide, or go over the inside curbing. It's even worse running CCW when you're turning into the Bustop....
That is a nasty one for sure.
Like you said, CCW its ugly - seen many spins going either direction.

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
For hotels, I drive an hour to Paso Robles with great hotels and restaurants. Bakersfield is about 35 minutes the other direction and has some decent chain hotels by the 99 frwy. And if you really need to stay close, there's a decent Best Western 1 exit South of the Hwy 58 exit. It's considerably cleaner than anything by the 58....
I liked Bakersfield, but it isnt great.

Even worse is Willow Springs hotels :P
Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

yes, i will do paso robles next time. did it once in my lotus. very nice town.

crispenigl, 2:02 in a street 3.6gt3 is hell fast. the fastest lap time i know of was a 3.8L RS stock but on R6 which did a 2:01 2 weeks ago. you are talking about starmazda config not the sweeper config right? you need to get yourself another GT3 and go have at it.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:56 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

What laptimer u using crispignel? Some systems are off by 1.5 secs and it's not faster. Mike
Old 06-02-2011, 12:59 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
yes, i will do paso robles next time. did it once in my lotus. very nice town.

crispenigl, 2:02 in a street 3.6gt3 is hell fast. the fastest lap time i know of was a 3.8L RS stock but on R6 which did a 2:01 2 weeks ago. you are talking about starmazda config not the sweeper config right? you need to get yourself another GT3 and go have at it.
I ran a 2:01.8 (mylaps) back in March on #1 CW.

I'm not very proud of it as it was the first time I had driven my Cup (and first time in a dedicated GT race car), the tires and brake pads were over a year old and after it's last race it sat in a shop before that weekend. The damn thing wouldn't stop for anything, but since it was the first time I drove a cup I thought it was normal. I actually went off track *twice* in saturday's race while passing lapped cars under braking because I couldn't get the car slowed down. lol!

I think if I went back now I could probably run low 50's... not sure what's normal in the Cups w/ that config.

-mike
Old 06-02-2011, 01:35 PM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
I ran a 2:01.8 (mylaps) back in March on #1 CW.

I'm not very proud of it as it was the first time I had driven my Cup (and first time in a dedicated GT race car), the tires and brake pads were over a year old and after it's last race it sat in a shop before that weekend. The damn thing wouldn't stop for anything, but since it was the first time I drove a cup I thought it was normal. I actually went off track *twice* in saturday's race while passing lapped cars under braking because I couldn't get the car slowed down. lol!

I think if I went back now I could probably run low 50's... not sure what's normal in the Cups w/ that config.

-mike
A cup car should do mid to high 1:50's for 1CW. Low 1:50's, you'd need to have The Stig-like skills.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:47 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty

Hi Mooty,

Thanks Man. That means a lot coming from you. I think I was wrong above. Ill have to double check the config - I havent looked at those videos in about 4 years now.

I race in Skip Barber now. I know some people here love or hate SB but I love it. I dont love it all the time and sometimes I get a down on power car.

My first love is Porshes and that is why I continue to lurk and be Jealous of the gt3 X.X owners here.

If it wasnt for my Porsche's and all the DEs I did I would never have done all the racing I do now and this last January I did my first grand am race in a cayman s at daytona - it was epic!

I can 100% thank this forum for helping me buy my first 996 way back in 2003. I was a long term lurker and back to mostly lurking again.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:48 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
What laptimer u using crispignel? Some systems are off by 1.5 secs and it's not faster. Mike
It was with speed ventures and I had a timer zip tied to my rear plate that would hit a beacon as I drove by.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:20 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

POC runs the longer T2, which like the bi-pass at T-hill is 2+ seconds slower. From the video I can see that PCA runs the shorter T2 as do most clubs including NASA. The fastest 6-cup laps I've seen there are 1:55's by Bobby Faieta (IMSA/Patron Cup Champion 2007, 2008, 2009). 7 Cups a second or so quicker, and a RSR's in the 52's.....

I've turned a 2:00:67 last Dec. with POC so maybe a 1:58 on the PCA course....
Old 06-03-2011, 12:58 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

O.K., this one is for Trakcar...

Sorry for the repeat of the laps, but this one has data!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WEWp4Hasbs
Old 06-03-2011, 01:47 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by os993
All I can say is it's one of the ugliest surroundings I have seen. Staying overnight at the truck stop motel, smelling the cow "sh*t" everywhere, then the landscape of Buttonwillow really doesn't do much.

Thunderhill, by comparision, is absolutely gorgeous (which in fact it is).

No value to this thread I realize, but thought I would share my friendly comments here!
If you drive 25 minutes east, that puts you into bakersfield, which is way better than buttonwillow. Even the tweekers are scared to stay overnight out there at the truck stops.

You guys are brave. Probably a better camping at the track experience than the staying at the sleeze bag inn on I-5 experience.

But again the weather was awesome.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WEWp4Hasbs
video and data.

NO AUDIO....?!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 616 Likes on 258 Posts

Very Nice! Buttonwillow is my favorite SoCal track
Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

9 minute laptime and no sound?? Gotta love Traqmate.
Surly you guys can go FLATOUTER!

I can see the CA laidback attitude, a friendly tap on the mirror and polite distance.
You guys probably buy carbon credits too..

Down here 2' distance from the rear bumber and you are concidered "falling back" and not worthy of a point by.

If you try to pass, the door will be closed with bit of race craft such as a middle corner brake tap/check
to see if you could be encouraged to fall back and if the exit speed out of the corner is lacking, weaving down the straights following the car behind you in the mirrors are generally expected.

If there are any signals given it is a flipped bird..This is the generally accepted signal that a pass will have to take some bravery in the form of driving around the leading car on the outside of the corner or a do-or-die dive bom in say T17 at 155Mph...
Old 06-03-2011, 08:40 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm usually 2 inches from rear bumper of car in front of me : ) on the track buds I know and others who are just slow no need to sit behind them just pass. Mike
Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
9 minute laptime and no sound?? Gotta love Traqmate.
Surly you guys can go FLATOUTER!

I can see the CA laidback attitude, a friendly tap on the mirror and polite distance.
You guys probably buy carbon credits too..

Down here 2' distance from the rear bumber and you are concidered "falling back" and not worthy of a point by.

If you try to pass, the door will be closed with bit of race craft such as a middle corner brake tap/check
to see if you could be encouraged to fall back and if the exit speed out of the corner is lacking, weaving down the straights following the
car behind you in the mirrors are generally expected.

If there are any signals given it is a flipped bird..This is the generally accepted signal that a pass will have to take some bravery in the form of driving around the leading car on the outside of the corner or a do-or-die dive bom in say T17 at 155Mph...
That shows you how Peter acts on the track

Quick Reply: Weekend at Buttonwillow