Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Weekend at Buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:12 PM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What lap times were you guys running out there?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:00 AM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lar,

Great vid! I don't disappear anywhere as fast as Mooty does! I'm sure we'll reset the clocks at Thunderhill in July!

Oldskews4,

I ran a 2:05.9 on Saturday, but then was slower for the time trial and finished with a 2:07.4.

Armando
Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,700 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
You really need to hire someone for coaching/track support that can listen to your feedback and make adjustments for you. Quit wasting your racing budget buying trucks and trailers....
good point.
ok, no more trucks.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:12 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by race911
Ouch, is that track a mess. I haven't been there since '05. It's got to be seconds slower now.
I was doing 2'02 in that conf back in 2008 before my car was stolen :/

looks a lot more bumpy and wow that is a lot of patches.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl

Not such big bumps as Reno Fernley features, but they look equally capable of breaking an axle or pulverizing a strut tower.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 AM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl

Wow, 2:02 for 1CW? Impressive.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:42 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I was there a few months ago running #1 CW (first time I ever drove my Cup!) and I thought the track was in pretty good condition. It looks a little beat up, but the curbs were fine, the patches didn't have much (if any) effect on the car in the dry. It started showering during the race on Saturday and the patches got slippery.

The area surrounding BW really sucks, and I've never stayed at a hotel as horrible as the one I stayed at for that weekend... and I'm totally low maintenance when it comes to hotels. Still had a lot of fun driving though! Before that weekend I hadn't been to BW since 2001 and it seemed about the same.

Most annoying part-- timing sheets were way out in a little brown shack by the esses. That walk sucks after it's been raining for a week and the grass/infield is all muddy. :-)

Btw, 2:02 is pretty quick for that config!

-mike
Old 06-01-2011, 12:24 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Wow! Looks like fun, I like running that track but agreed the surroundings are direct from the pits of hell. You guys lucked out with a cool weekend as well at this time of the year. Armando- selling the pumpkin eh? Oh my. You and Mooty both strippers.

hmmm, wait a minute...

Glad you all had a fun weekend, missed being out there with you
Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 PM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Wow! Looks like fun, I like running that track but agreed the surroundings are direct from the pits of hell. You guys lucked out with a cool weekend as well at this time of the year. Armando- selling the pumpkin eh? Oh my. You and Mooty both strippers.

hmmm, wait a minute...

Glad you all had a fun weekend, missed being out there with you
Pete, we missed you too. You also missed some photo ops! My new philosophy? I strip, therefore I am!

Armando
Old 06-01-2011, 03:20 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

BW is a great, fun track. You Nor Cal pussies are spoiled/pampered by Laguna, Sears, and T-Hill. You just have to know where the bumps are and dodge them. The worst is the R-hander leaving the Bustop. Either take it wide, or go over the inside curbing. It's even worse running CCW when you're turning into the Bustop....

For hotels, I drive an hour to Paso Robles with great hotels and restaurants. Bakersfield is about 35 minutes the other direction and has some decent chain hotels by the 99 frwy. And if you really need to stay close, there's a decent Best Western 1 exit South of the Hwy 58 exit. It's considerably cleaner than anything by the 58....
Old 06-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
BW is a great, fun track. You Nor Cal pussies are spoiled/pampered by Laguna, Sears, and T-Hill. You just have to know where the bumps are and dodge them. The worst is the R-hander leaving the Bustop. Either take it wide, or go over the inside curbing. It's even worse running CCW when you're turning into the Bustop....

For hotels, I drive an hour to Paso Robles with great hotels and restaurants. Bakersfield is about 35 minutes the other direction and has some decent chain hotels by the 99 frwy. And if you really need to stay close, there's a decent Best Western 1 exit South of the Hwy 58 exit. It's considerably cleaner than anything by the 58....
This is the best solution coming from the SF Bay Area, too. Just take 101 south, there's even some 70 mph limit stretches. Bring a V1 though!
And the road across from the central coast wine country around SLO to BW is a great drive of itself -- gets you off to a great start for the day. And a nice way to break in a new Mezger if the car is fresh off the showroom. : )
Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
This is the best solution coming from the SF Bay Area, too. Just take 101 south, there's even some 70 mph limit stretches. Bring a V1 though!
And the road across from the central coast wine country around SLO to BW is a great drive of itself -- gets you off to a great start for the day. And a nice way to break in a new Mezger if the car is fresh off the showroom. : )
With all due respect, that is the best solution only if you are towing. If you are driving the P-car, then best way to BW from SF Bay is 101S --> hwy25 (following exit sign for Hollister/East Pinnacles), follow 25 south until it hits CA 198 at a T-junction, then East on CA198 to Coalinga, then from Coalinga follow signs for I-5 south. Endure only 45 minutes on I-5 to reach track.

Takes about 30 minutes extra, but average speed is 65+ mph over the entire distance and it's devoid of traffic/CHP etc. Scenic, fast, pavement is great most of the time and you enjoy 100's of curves along the way.

I've driven this route going and coming for the past 3 years. Arrive refreshed rather than bored.

jrgordonsenior is correct that the worst bump is at the apex of the r-hander after T6. None of the other bumps really bothered my car too much.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quickxotica
With all due respect, that is the best solution only if you are towing. If you are driving the P-car, then best way to BW from SF Bay is 101S --> hwy25 (following exit sign for Hollister/East Pinnacles), follow 25 south until it hits CA 198 at a T-junction, then East on CA198 to Coalinga, then from Coalinga follow signs for I-5 south. Endure only 45 minutes on I-5 to reach track.

Takes about 30 minutes extra, but average speed is 65+ mph over the entire distance and it's devoid of traffic/CHP etc. Scenic, fast, pavement is great most of the time and you enjoy 100's of curves along the way.

I've driven this route going and coming for the past 3 years. Arrive refreshed rather than bored.

jrgordonsenior is correct that the worst bump is at the apex of the r-hander after T6. None of the other bumps really bothered my car too much.
I'm talking about the solution (accommodation, wine district, restaurants) not the fastest/funnest driver there and then sleeping in a roach farm and waking up to the farts and belches of an decrepit agricultural region. : )
Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I'm talking about the solution (accommodation, wine district, restaurants) not the fastest/funnest driver there and then sleeping in a roach farm and waking up to the farts and belches of an decrepit agricultural region. : )
Oh, agreed. Paso Robles is an order of magnitude better for accomodation. I was just talking about getting to/from the track.

Speaking of farts and belches, the oil-field workers in the roach-room near mine were a sight to behold. Truly a window into another world... that is at the same time, ours.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:57 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oldskews4
Wow, 2:02 for 1CW? Impressive.
Looking at that video, Id be happy with a 05 since the braking zones are so bumpy and mid corner bumpies do not inspire confidence to go to power early.

If I threw up my video from 2008, you wouldnt recognize the track :P

Also, BW used to be my home track. I have done close to 3,000 laps there over 5 years. There are many sections I love and miss about that as I no longer go because I cannot stand many things about the track.

Esp when you compare BW to WG, Road America, Road Atlanta, VIR, etc I prefer to go to those tracks now.

Quick Reply: Weekend at Buttonwillow