RS withdrawals

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:28 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Awesome... maybe i'll pester him with a pm or two.... thanks!
I understand he's desperate to sell and will take any low ball, just to clear space for the 4.0 and 2010 Cup and ...
Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Thank you all! I think my heart is set on the Boxter Spyder.... here's how I'd like it:

1.) White on Black w/Black Wheels
2.) Sport Bucket (GT2) seats w/Alcantara Interior Package)
3.) Sport Exhaust
4.) Sport Shifter
5.) Sport Chrono... need that sport button.
6.) Normal Steel Brakes
7.) Bi-xenon w/LW Battery
5.) PCM w/Sound Package Plus and Bluetooth.

I see 2012 models in the inventory lists of a lot of dealers. Did they increase the production #'s due to strong sales? Is it possible to order one? or too late?
Laguna: No increase in Spyder production. In fact, very few MY 2012's that will be coming to US. Production ends in July according to reliable sources. I was told perhaps as few as 50 '12 Spyders coming our way.

Believe most '12 Spyder allocations (if not all) went into 'locked' position. My late June production went this way last week. Don't let anyone convince you Black Edition Boxster S is better value. The suspension of the Spyder & Cayman R is the key to this car, and to retrofit, you be better off buying Spyder in first place.

Sport Chrono on Manual can be retrofitted without so-called wart. Suncoast has kit. But you can not order it without 'wart' from factory. I like the wart since it reminds me of old rally watches I collect.

No PASM on Spyder, but separate button to turn off Traction & Stability control. Sport Exhaust will have separate button. Sport Chrono will also have its own switch too. Sport Chrono Plus from factory is most for PDK.

Common problem is dealer specced cars will often not come with bucket seats. So take your time in finding one with them. Other than the expensive PCM (with Nav) or lithium-ion, you should not have too much trouble finding what you want - particularly in used market. Best route is Savy's car, of course.

z356 (currently in London, just back from a tour of the old Brooklands circuit)

Last edited by Z356; 05-31-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you! Can you get the sport button w/out the wart?
Yes Sir: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...r_interiorelec

"New from Porsche! A factory software kit that adds a new dimension to your Porsche. By pressing a dash-mounted "SPORT" switch, you can chose between a stock mode and a Sport Mode with improved performance dynamics.

Benefits of Sport Mode activation:
- Sporty tuning of engine Motronic software, PASM, PSM, Tiptronic Transmission (if applicable), all-wheel-drive system (if applicable).
- For vehicles with factory Sport Exhaust, the new Sport button would control exhaust settings.
- For vehicles with PCM, new personalized settings can now be controlled. Including memory for lights, wiper, climate control, & door lock settings.
- For 2009-2011 vehicles with PDK, you get a Sport Plus button with Launch Control and Race Track Shift Strategy. For base model Cayman & Boxster models, launch control is not included.
- For Turbo models, Overboost is also added for additional acceleration.

When the Sport button on the center console is selected, the engine management system enhances the engine response. A modified throttle map relates the pedal angle in the footwell to a much wider angle of opening on the throttle valve. Throttle response is significantly more immediate, and, in the higher gears, a hard rev-limiter helps protect the engine under acceleration.

Vehicles with the optional Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) also switches to Sport mode for harder damping and more direct steering, and, therefore, better road holding. For maximum dexterity, PSM can be set to standby while the car is still in Sport mode. For safety, it is set to intervene automatically only when ABS assistance is required on both the front wheels.

For Tiptronic or PDK transmissions, gearshift points are delayed until the upper rev range. The shift times are shorter, the gear changes sportier. At low rates of deceleration—even with high engine speeds—the system initiates a swifter brake-induced downshift. In manual mode, gear changes are faster and more dynamic. In Sport mode, the trigger threshold for PSM is raised for increased longitudinal and lateral dynamics. Agility is enhanced under braking for corners with PSM, enabling greater handling response under braking and exit acceleration, especially at low speeds.

Fitment: 2005-2011 Carrera, Cayman, & Boxster, and 2006-2009 Turbo models without Sport Chrono or Sport Chrono Plus.

Note: Professional installation required by an authorized Porsche dealer, estimated installation time is 2-3 hours. Must acquire an enabling code from Porsche (insert your VIN number if you want us to obtain it), make sure your VIN number is 100% accurate (if it's wrong, you've wasted your money). This kit is not returnable under any circumstance. Includes software and a new dash switch, installation guide is included. Special Order from Germany. Please contact us if you have any questions. "

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
yes, i'd like to know this. also, what does a sport button do on a non-pasm car?
See above my friend

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You're describing Savy's car (which he's dumb enough to sell) but I'm pretty sure he has PDK in it (which I think is the ideal for an all-rounder and a lot of fun on the track with "sport plus" shifts.)
I have come to my senses and decided to not sell the white rascal. Going to build a house with an art nook in each main room and place cars in the nooks. Guy Dreier, are you available for a small project?

I understand he's desperate to sell and will take any low ball, just to clear space for the 4.0 and 2010 Cup and ...
Old 05-31-2011, 12:30 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

The Evora doesn't make sense -- heavy and expensive with a generic (Toyota?) engine instead of the signature Lotus name. Also rare to see more than one at the track. The "race" version looked very well sorted out but I imagine it's hard to resell the thing when you come to your senses and know you want to be driving a 911.
Signature Lotus name in an engine? Fancy having the car immobilized 24/7?

The only thing that won't fail from this car is the outsourced engine..
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that engine belongs in a camry.

thanks savvy, for the heads-up on sport button!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:55 PM
ssort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go drive a 08 RS4. about 50K or less with low miles. and then buy a supercharger for it. i've got one as a dd to compliment the .1 RS and it is a riot!

tr
Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curb weight 3164lbs:
http://www.lotuscars.com/en/lotus-evora-specification

And 0-60 4.9 sec ... nothing to rave about.
Compare that to a Boxster S Black Edition around the US$65K mark or Spyder starting at $61K.

The blown Evora S at close to $80K could be fun, and about the same 3166lb, but hell, you're well into 911 territory and only the UK reviews suggest Lotus is superior to the Porsche. That's less HP (something like 345hp) and perhaps 200lbs heavier than a 997.1 GT3 and forced induction ... not exactly what I'd call a compelling new car ...
That website says curb weight is 3047 for the Evora, not 3164. The latter is for the Evora S. Get a lightweight battery and ditch the owners manual and you're within spitting distance of 3000 lbs. Still, I didn't realize the Spyder started so cheap but watch out for options!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ssort
go drive a 08 RS4. about 50K or less with low miles. and then buy a supercharger for it. i've got one as a dd to compliment the .1 RS and it is a riot!

tr
Had an 08 RS4... too much understeer... and didn't feel fast or exciting to drive. Traded it in for M3. Liked M3 better in terms of driving performance. Love RS4's interior and rarity though. Got top $$ for it.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 AM
danes
Intermediate

Help me fellow Rennlisters! I sold my RS almost a month ago. I also sold my collector-quality 930 Turbo (my favorite P-car ever!) and '11 M3... I only have my Range Rover and Cup.... no street joyriders and it's killing me! I miss my RS.... it was simply divine.... whether fast on a track or cruising PCH on a sunday afternoon. I need to find a replacement ASAP... or else I will go nuts! Please help me decide.... I am already decided to get a 991 GT3/RS when they come out... but I need something to fill my time until then... any ideas?

Here's what thinking about...but I am open to anything...any make, model, year, etc... budget is not really set, but knowing I will be getting a 991 in two years, don't want to spent too much, as it will be sold at that time.

Boxster Spyder (the front runner)... cheap, fun and a convertible... fast enough for street)
993 Turbo/Turbo S/C2S (super low mile and White)... best of air-cooled classics.
mk2 GT3... white and loaded... not for track, but street. hestitant to go this route, as it would be kind of dumb to justify, given I just sold my RS... but sounds appealing.
Audi R8 Spyder w/manual
????? any ideas?

Thanks!
I'm familiar with GT3 withdrawal.

My GT3RS sits in the garage at my place, a few cities away from my girlfriends place where I stay at.

I only get to light it up on weekends.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
\
I have come to my senses and decided to not sell the white rascal. Going to build a house with an art nook in each main room and place cars in the nooks. Guy Dreier, are you available for a small project?
C'mon Savyboy... PM you're price. Help a fellow rennlister. Plus, by the time your new house is built, the Boxster Spyder will be old news (18months-2 years?). Besides, you should get a real 550 Spyder to display in your nook.... would look better next to your grand piano and collection of classic contemporary masters.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by RAPID
Cayman R seems quite a car for the cash: mid engine, good balance, and since you have a cup car, you must be looking for a fun street car, not an outright track beast...
I drove one at the recent Porsche WorldRoadTour event in S.F ... it was very impressive, probably marginally better than the Boxster Spyder.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Laguna: No increase in Spyder production. In fact, very few MY 2012's that will be coming to US. Production ends in July according to reliable sources. I was told perhaps as few as 50 '12 Spyders coming our way.

Believe most '12 Spyder allocations (if not all) went into 'locked' position. My late June production went this way last week. Don't let anyone convince you Black Edition Boxster S is better value. The suspension of the Spyder & Cayman R is the key to this car, and to retrofit, you be better off buying Spyder in first place.

Sport Chrono on Manual can be retrofitted without so-called wart. Suncoast has kit. But you can not order it without 'wart' from factory. I like the wart since it reminds me of old rally watches I collect.

No PASM on Spyder, but separate button to turn off Traction & Stability control. Sport Exhaust will have separate button. Sport Chrono will also have its own switch too. Sport Chrono Plus from factory is most for PDK.

Common problem is dealer specced cars will often not come with bucket seats. So take your time in finding one with them. Other than the expensive PCM (with Nav) or lithium-ion, you should not have too much trouble finding what you want - particularly in used market. Best route is Savy's car, of course.

z356 (currently in London, just back from a tour of the old Brooklands circuit)
its pretty fun down there isnt it?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thank you all! I think my heart is set on the Boxter Spyder.... here's how I'd like it:

3.) Sport Exhaust
4.) Sport Shifter
6.) Normal Steel Brakes

I see 2012 models in the inventory lists of a lot of dealers. Did they increase the production #'s due to strong sales? Is it possible to order one? or too late?
go drive the Cayman R back-to-back before you lock in a Spyder!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:17 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i agree.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 28 Posts

3.) Sport Exhaust
4.) Sport Shifter
6.) Normal Steel Brakes

Great choice on the Spyder. I have one that is quite similar to the spec you are wanting, except mine is black and without NAV. I like driving it better than my RS.

Quick Reply: RS withdrawals