Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

25th Hour Michelin Tire Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011 | 10:19 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default 25th Hour Michelin Tire Test

Today I attended the Michelin tire test of there new tire the Pilot Super Sport.
The test was at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana CA.

The sad news was that there were no Porsches at the event only BMW's and Lexus's.

We were broken up into three groups and rotated thru the three exercises with one car equipped with Michelin's and the other equipped with a competitors to feel the differences.

The exercises were:
Braking (From 50 in the dry and from 40 in the wet) in BMW
Autocross in BMW
Track in Lexus
Hotlaps in a 430, Aston, R8, Nissan GTR (I didn't ride, I left)

All in all a good day but a little bit of a sales event for Michelin (ra ra ra) but
what do expect at an event like this.

It is a good tire!
The sad news is that we will have to wait a bit longer (say mid 2012) for N spec
versions of the tire.
Attached Images     
Old 05-24-2011 | 11:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I wish they'd test this tire against the Bridgeston RE11 and Pirelli Pilot Sport ona Prosche. for the BMW crowd Michilen needs to see how they stack up to the Dunlop Star Dizzera.

If Michelin needs a real world tire tester they should put a set on my car for some street and DE driving at Sebring. I could give feedback again the Toyo Proxes1 I run now and the R888's and RA1's I am familuar with on the track.

I don't care about N Spec...my current tires on my Carrera S and Cayenne S are not N Spec and they work great plus none of the tire I and many other run on at the track are N Spec.
Old 05-25-2011 | 12:27 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Dear Michelin, please manufacture these tires in 18" sizes wider than 285.

!!!
Old 05-25-2011 | 12:35 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

i just bought two rear MPSC for my RS.

i cant see the SS being any better for track time and with my alignment and bumpsteer i cant see them lasting as long as they advertise on my car anyhow...
Old 05-25-2011 | 02:05 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

From what I've heard, the PSS will provide more grip and last longer than the PS2 and the lap times on the Sport Cup won't be quicker. The only downside is the higher weight ... oh ... and no sizes for the RS ...

As soon as they ship a 265 front and 345 rear, I'll put them on and see what happens.

For now, I think I'll try some Hoosier A6 to "slum" it.
Old 05-25-2011 | 05:18 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

May be a silly question but what is the use of them lasting twice as long if they heat cycle out?

I recently attended a wet trackday at Phillip Island. It was pouring rain. I took the car down on my PS2 street tyres to handle the wet weather... To my surprise when turning in, they were shot... Fine on acceleration, fine on braking but bad on the turn in... One of the instructors came out with me and he commented that they must have heat cycled once too many (they had done one earlier track day-500km, 300km in the dry, 200km in the wet that time)... These tyres have heaps of meat on them, just no bite on the shoulders and they are just 8 months old... Mind you, on the road where you aren't doing 200kmh they feel grippy and normal...

If the MSSs last even longer presumably in terms of tread depth, whats the use if the rubber is going to harden and lose lateral grip?
Old 05-25-2011 | 05:32 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

i don't think PS2's "heat cycle" out. i have a set for the RS and M3 currently and long time fan of them. 331kph just fine. turn in at aremberg and all the other corners at the ring still just as razor sharp. yes, slower than cups for sure in dry but have not noticed degraded traction causing push or snap oversteer as characteristic of cycled to death slicks.
Old 05-25-2011 | 05:48 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Just installed the PSS Monday and am going to try them at Road Atlanta first week of June. The price is right, ~$1500, and they are much quieter than either the Pirelli Corsa's or R888's. Can't wait to get them on the track.

Quick Reply: 25th Hour Michelin Tire Test